EnjoyAChallenge

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've been seeing a Man for 5 months. He is Dom and the dynamic is laced with quite a bit of kink. Chastity was one of His requirements. At first it was very very sexual and we never really left the apartment together because these are COVID times and it's NYC, but recently I've begun to meet His friends. He started to show me some vulnerability and I decided to let my guard down.

The other night we went grocery shopping together, I made us dinner, and then when we sat down to eat He told me that we shouldn't keep dating. I was blindsided. We both agree that this is the best sex of our lives, but He doesn't see a future for us because I am a total bottom. He says He ultimately wants monogamy and while He identifies as a Top He wants a greater sense of equality and someone He can lean on in that serious relationship. He used the words "In 10 years..." This has left me feeling acutely insecure.

Do you think being a sub bottom makes someone incapable of being a supportive loving partner?
Do you think being a sub bottom makes someone ultimately less desirable?
Do Dom sub relationships have to be superficial to work?
Can a Dom sub relationship be adapted to accommodate children?

winesthel945

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
No;
No;
No; and,
Yes.

Your problem is not kink, it's a partner that is not in sync with your needs. So you're good to be rid of him before you wasted any more time. I know it hurts, and I'm sorry for that. But this is a blessing. You can now move on.

How do you move on? First, you need to learn from this experience that you cannot go into a relationship without having adequately communicated the wants and desires of each of you. Only with that communication can you weed out those who are not sexually compatible. Eventually sexual compatibility will be the end of any relationship if not sorted out and accommodated from the outset.

Do not let this mistake make you feel insecure. You got too far, too fast, too deep with someone with whom it was only a matter of time before it fell apart because you didn't want the same things. Just remind yourself that you deserve the things you need out of a relationship. And remember too that every one of your relationships is destined to fail... until you find the one that doesn't.

So... take your time. Feel your feelings. Then pick yourself up and move on. And learn from this -- communicate your desires. Also probably spend a lot of time Googling for stories and learnings from people who are in long term committed kink-positive relationships. There's lots out there, you just need to explore.

Good luck!

Hockeytiger

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I just want to preface this by saying that my BDSM experience is not all that great, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

This is tough, and I am going to make some assumptions based on wording that you have made (and not made). It looks like you are looking for your BDSM relationship to extend outside of the bedroom, but your former partner was less enthusiastic about that. As was said in the earlier post, that is a problem because the two of you didn’t communicate your desires properly when getting together. In a BDSM context, even more so than in other relationships, communication is paramount, especially before entering into the relationship.

A common mistake is not separating out total top/total bottom from a BDSM role and separating out a BDSM sexual role from a BDSM relationship role. I’m not sure that is true in your case, specifically. But some of your wording indicates this to me, but I could be reading you wrong. You mention that he wanted a greater sense of equality in the relationship and wants to be able to lean on you. I take that to mean that outside the bedroom he wanted a more equal relationship so that when he has a tough day at work or with friends or family he can come back home with you and be, at least, somewhat vulnerable with you, and not feel judged that he is being a bad dom for that. Your third question “Do dom/sub relationships have to be superficial to work?” indicates to me that you want the BDSM roles to extend outside the bedroom. That is 100% fine, but it doesn’t seem that is what he wanted. 100% bottom DOES NOT equate to that. I’m not sure exactly what role you ARE looking for outside the bedroom, but my guess is that you are looking for something along the lines of a house slave or house servant sub role, or at least, along that continuum somewhere, where you are engaging in a very submissive role outside the bedroom. But as he mentioned he is looking for something more equal. 100% total bottom means TO ME, a person who only bottoms in the sexual relationship, and maybe is submissive in bed. TO ME, it is not indicative of anything outside the bedroom. It appears to mean something different for you. So, in the future, instead of using code words, spell out all of your desires in and out of the bedroom. You future doms deserve to understand your desires going in (and you deserve to understand their long-term desires), LONG before the clothes come off. Don’t rush in. Err on the side of too much communication.

As for your first question, no I don’t think that is true. But what your former dom needed wasn’t something you were offering. You need to find a dom who wants the BDSM relationship to extend further outside the bedroom, if I am correct about your desires. They are out there, but be warned it can be fraught with danger. The kind of doms you are looking for, inherently are not the kind of men who compartmentalize their need to dominate very well. Hence this is why they are looking to extend the BDSM relationship outside the bedroom. I guess I am dancing around the issue I am trying to make as it is stereotypical and somewhat unfair. What I am trying to say is that you need to be aware that the kinds of doms you are looking for tend to somewhat more likely to be abusive (not just physically) and you need to be extra cautious about that given your own submissive desires. Just as the afore mentioned kind of dom is somewhat more likely to be abusive (note the words somewhat and likely, it is not even remotely close to a sure thing), you, as that kind of sub, are more likely going to be a victim of abuse. I bring this up because of how you phrased things in your post. It seemed like you were blaming yourself, or that there was something wrong with you, or that you would not be capable of finding the right kind of relationship because of your kind of submissive desires. The kinds of people who instinctively blame themselves are the kinds of people who tend to end up being long term abuse victims. To help prove my point, no where in your post did you blame him at all. You only blamed yourself or indicated there was something wrong about your desires, but never him or his desires. This makes me very concerned about your future in the BDSM world. I know it may seem contradictory, but as a sub, you MUST be able to stand up for yourself or some asshole abuser posing as a dom will end up abusing you and you will just take it and live with it long-term. If you never said to yourself something along the lines of “If a more equal relationship is what you wanted why the fuck didn’t you say that going in?” then you need to find some fellow subs and learn to develop those skills. A very good dom can help too, but, in my opinion, a sub is in a better position to help you without creating a risky environment for you.

As for your second question, it was only less desirable for him. You just need to find the right kind of dom for YOU. And as I mentioned, you need to talk this out ahead of time, long before the clothes come off.

The last question is a bit tricky as it is laden with stereotypical traps. Go back to those old ‘50’s TV shows with the husband/father sitting at the table reading the newspaper with the wife/mother doing all the cooking/cleaning/etc. No one though that was odd or not couldn’t work with children. It was conducive to that kind of dom/sub relationship (which admittedly was a product of Hollywood fantasy). I don’t see why that couldn’t kind of work for your kind of gay BDSM couple. And please don’t think I’m trying to feminize you or your role. Men, all the time take on submissive roles in society and we applaud them for it. Look at the military. Men take orders from other men there all the time, and sometimes in horrible, dangerous situations. No one, apart maybe from the current US President, thinks that makes them any less desirable or masculine. Unfortunately, that’s kind of the best answer I can give you on the subject, without understanding more about your concerns.