Childhood misconceptions

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When you were a kid what things did you misunderstand which lead to irrational thoughts or fears?

For me two things really stick out -

1) I thought everything on TV was live, if I saw an actor on one station and then on another at the same time I couldn't figure out how this was achieved.

2) I recall asking as a young child what happens to all the pee and poo when you flush a toilet, I was told that toilets "eat" what you put in them. This scared me to death. For far too long I had irrational fears and even nightmares about toilets that would eat people or bite them while in use.

noirman

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
When I was about five, my dad took me to a rustic bar/restaurant while we were staying at a cabin. Surveying all the oddities like fish and deer heads mounted on the walls, I paused at the sign that said "NO MINORS ALLOWED." I thought that the bar was meanspirited to single out miners and didn't realize what the sign meant for at least another couple years. I guess I was a slow learner, but looking back it now, I realize that from a very young age I had developed empathy and hated discrimination of any sort.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, this wasn't a fear, but it is a misunderstanding. When I lived in one place as a kid, I had a best friend for a few summers. We could compete over our tans at the pool and it frustrated me because I could never get as dark as her. She ALWAYS won. A few years ago I was looking through some old photos and I was shocked by the picture of us together. I didn't realize that my best friend has a genetic advantage and I would never catch up to her! :lmao:

I'm still trying to think of childhood fears based on a misunderstanding, but all the fears I can remember were based on very real scary things, like nuclear attack or AIDS or child molesters.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
As a child, I thought human enjoyment of sex was faked because while I was told that the penis goes into the vagina (I didn't get a gay sex description), no one thought to tell me the penis was supposed to move! I had no idea how just placing a penis into a vagina could lead to enjoyment.

eurotop40

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As a child, I thought human enjoyment of sex was faked because while I was told that the penis goes into the vagina (I didn't get a gay sex description), no one thought to tell me the penis was supposed to move! I had no idea how just placing a penis into a vagina could lead to enjoyment.
Hahaha, I remember a friend of mine at the age of 11 asked me the same question: how long have you to keep the penis in the vagina to make a baby?

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A couple of misconceptions, but nothing that caused any irrational fears...

I didn't realise people who wore glasses had to actually 'get' them. I thought they were born with them! LOL!

Once, when I bought an issue of "Smash Hits" magazine, it was an end-of-year issue so they had asked the pop-stars of that time what their favourites of that year were. It really did my head in because the 'Top 40' seemed like a deadly serious contest to me so I thought musicians/singers weren't allowed to like other musicians/singers records (which were vinyl 'in my day').

RawDog

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Both my siblings had massive acne going through high school and I was always under the impression that only the cool kids had acne.

... no one thought to tell me the penis was supposed to move! I had no idea how just placing a penis into a vagina could lead to enjoyment.

If a cock pushes your backstop back hard enough and your nipples got the proper mistreatment, very little movement's necessary to give you mind blowing orgasms. That's not true with some women though.

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Because my sister always had toast for breakfast, I thought that cereal was only for boys.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was very rational as a child. My introduction to misconceptions actually began as a young adult. My first partner and I had a house with a "Trash Compactor" I thought it worked like a garbage disposal and ground up everything and whisked it away somewhere else in the universe. I was very disheartened to find that it merely mashed up refuse so that at the end of the week you had to empty a fifty pound bag.:redface:

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was very rational as a child. My introduction to misconceptions actually began as a young adult. My first partner and I had a house with a "Trash Compactor" I thought it worked like a garbage disposal and ground up everything and whisked it away somewhere else in the universe. I was very disheartened to find that it merely mashed up refuse so that at the end of the week you had to empty a fifty pound bag.:redface:

I just learned something new! As I have never had one of these machines, I too thought (until this very moment) that the trash went down the drain. I'll stick with a garbage bag.

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
When I was about five, my dad took me to a rustic bar/restaurant while we were staying at a cabin. Surveying all the oddities like fish and deer heads mounted on the walls, I paused at the sign that said "NO MINORS ALLOWED." I thought that the bar was meanspirited to single out miners and didn't realize what the sign meant for at least another couple years. I guess I was a slow learner, but looking back it now, I realize that from a very young age I had developed empathy and hated discrimination of any sort.

HAHAHAHA....that is funny...because I thought the same thing!! :wink:

I also thought the term 'estranged wife/husband' meant that one of the parties had a nervous break down and had lost their minds. (My parents are attorneys so we heard that one allot around the house.) I also thought it was odd that guerrillas (as in zoo animals) would lean how to use guns and kill human beings.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Both my siblings had massive acne going through high school and I was always under the impression that only the cool kids had acne.

I love it! While most kids were WORRIED about getting acne, you thought it was cool!

If a cock pushes your backstop back hard enough and your nipples got the proper mistreatment, very little movement's necessary to give you mind blowing orgasms. That's not true with some women though.

Ahh, but maybe they'd be having mind blowing orgasms whilst still wishing you'd fuck them harder :tongue:.

And yes, I do love the motionless thing, but it's not LITERALLY motionless. I mean, I'm still doing things with my muscles, it's just that HE is motionless. In my childhood brain sex was all literally motionless.

Because my sister always had toast for breakfast, I thought that cereal was only for boys.

This one really made me laugh!

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
1. When I was about 2 years-old I thought that when you went to jail that meant they sealed you in a canister and hung you on the tall, wooden power poles running electricity throughout the country. I didn't know they were transformers.

2. Until I was 16 I always thought Boston was south of Manhattan, even though I'd been to both cities before age 16.

3. Even though our departamento is on the 14th floor and we have a sweeping view of the Jardin Botanica and city Zoo, I still think north is south and south is north. Fortunately, I do remember that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, even all the way down here in Argentina. But still, when I'm walking the streets of the barrios I've got a different set of coordinates in my head than the real ones.

I should have a note with my name, phone number, contact person, and address pinned on my shirt at all times.

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That if I stayed in the bath while the water was being drained (ie I had pulled the plug out), I would get sucked in and die. To this day the sound of water being drained from a bath goes through me and I get out of the bath as quickly as possible.

Same thing with resevoirs (ie don't play in the resevoir, lake, lagoon etc) although I think you can actually get sucked into pipes in those places.

BTW I can swim...it sounds like I'm afraid of water but I'm not. Just bathwater really.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
It was a widely held belief among the Kindergarten and 1st through 4th grade students at my elementary school that if you could get enough momentum to swing completely over on the swing sets that you would turn inside out.

I think this happened to a kid in Cleveland once.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It was a widely held belief among the Kindergarten and 1st through 4th grade students at my elementary school that if you could get enough momentum to swing completely over on the swing sets that you would turn inside out.

I think this happened to a kid in Cleveland once.

Ah, there was a time when I thought that if you swung hard enough, you could go over the top. I never heard the inside out thing. I spent a lot of time trying to swing higher and higher.

Gosh, that was really fun, come to think of it.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I found a birds-and-the-bees book around our home when I was about 7.
When it described intercourse, it used these words: "And then, in a loving gesture, your father's penis entered your mother."
Nothing said about Daddy sticking it in Mom ... so I thought your penis just suddenly did it all on its own, sorta by sonar.
And for a few years, I was waiting for that independent-mindedness to hit my weewee.
I mean, it was in a book.