Decline in the Bee Population

Smartalk

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There is major concern throughout the world in the decline in the bee population and the devastating effect it could have on our long-term survival. I would ask the question what the members thoughts and theories on the reason for this serious decline?

I will open the debate by posing the thought; “Could it be due to the use of ‘Genetically Modified’ crops and plants, being in itself harmful to bee’s?

If so, what is the long-term effect on us, as human beings?

Do you think we interfere with nature too much?

D_Brecock Evileye

Sexy Member
Media
We are looking at a major decline in biodiversity world wide. Bess are a major loss if they go. Without them 70% of our food resources will disapear. Scary stuff. I think the most likely culprit is pestacides. The chemicals in them could easily interupt the harmone based comunication between the members of the hive. It could be any number of other chemicals we release, or even malnutrition from the hybrid plants we have created that produce less necter. It could be a cocktail of all these things. Now it is time for me to get off the soap box. lol

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thank you Smartalk for bringing up such an important and timely topic! :cool: :smile:
There is major concern throughout the world in the decline in the bee population and the devastating effect it could have on our long-term survival.
I would ask the question what are the members thoughts and theories on the reason for this serious decline?
I am not well read on this topic but I am inclined to believe CCD or Colony Collapse Disorder is due to all the chemicals we use on fruits and vegetables. Not to mention the hybridization of plants that needed no improvements such as tomatoes, peaches, oranges, and roses.

Colony Collapse Disorder is not just an American issue it is a worldwide problem! :mad:
Colony collapse disorder (or CCD) is a phenomenon in which worker bees from a beehive or European honey bee colony abruptly disappear. While such disappearances have occurred throughout the history of apiculture, the term colony collapse disorder was first applied to a drastic rise in the number of disappearances of Western honey bee colonies in North America in late 2006.[1] Aside from fundamental concerns about the survival of bee species, colony collapse is economically significant because many agricultural crops worldwide are pollinated by bees.

European beekeepers observed similar phenomena in Belgium, France, the Netherlands, Greece, Italy, Portugal, and Spain,[2] and initial reports have also come in from Switzerland and Germany, albeit to a lesser degree.[3] Possible cases of CCD have also been reported in Taiwan since April 2007.[4]
I will open the debate by posing the thought; “Could it be due to the use of ‘Genetically Modified’ crops and plants, being in itself harmful to bee’s?
Yes, I agree with this.

If so, what is the long-term effect on us, as human beings?
I'm not sure. I'm bet it's not healthy for us to be eating all these genetically modified crops though.

Do you think we interfere with nature too much?[/QUOTE]
Yes, we do. I really don't care if I can't get good strawberries in December. I am fine waiting until June.

If you must have a specific fruit or vegetable out of season then I think you should expect to pay more; because it is flown in from the southern hemisphere or wherever it is natural for that food to be grown and picked.

Current theories about the cause(s) of Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) include:
  • increased losses due to the invasive varroa mite (a pest of honeybees);
  • new or emerging diseases such as Israeli Acute Paralysis virus (IAPV);
  • pesticide poisoning through exposure to pesticides applied to crops or for in-hive insect or mite control;
  • potential immune-suppressing stress on bees caused by one or a combination of factors.
This last theory is the most highly suspected cause of CCD. Stressors may include poor nutrition, drought, and migratory stress brought about by the increased need to move bee colonies long distances to provide pollination services.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Wow, this is hardly news. It's surprising how long it takes for serious news like this to get around. And it's isn't just chemicals that is connected to the issue but also parasites and the importations of non-domestic species of bees into the country. The Phenomenon was first reported in OCT of 2006 when farmers lost up to 90 percent of the hive populations without even seeing any dead bees. It was believed that they lost the ability to find there way back. There is a very well informed documentary on the issue. Last year during the summer I saw absolutely no honey bees at all. There are orchards in china were all the fruit is already being manually pollinated. It is estimated that doing this in the US could triple the price of produce. Things like grain and corn and even peas and beans can manage with simple air pollination but fruit trees like pears need insects to do this work.

here a link to it at USDA http://www.ars.usda.gov/News/docs.htm?docid=15572

Last edited:

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Oh shit! I do hope that Davros isn't back. :wink:

I had a similar thought.

YouTube - the bees are disappearing
YouTube - Bees! - Stolen Earth, Doctor Who

But in all seriousness, it seems to me that something is dreadfully wrong to have such a massive and sudden decline in the bee population, plus the added mystery that they are disappearing--no one knows what happens to them, as bodies aren't being found.

For those of you who are gardeners, the Agriculture Research Service recommends planting "good nectar sources such as red clover, foxglove, bee balm, and joe-pye weed. For more information, see www.nappc.org."

Pollinator Partnership Home

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If every bee fell off the earth I would have NO problem. I hate them, allergic to them and they're..........don't get me started.
If every bee on the planet died scientists would find a way to pollenate plants etc. Actually I hope every bee on the planet does die. We don't need them and they are evil.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If every bee fell off the earth I would have NO problem. I hate them, allergic to them and they're..........don't get me started.
If every bee on the planet died scientists would find a way to pollenate plants etc. Actually I hope every bee on the planet does die. We don't need them and they are evil.

:wtf1: OMG! :eek:mfg: You have no idea what you are saying or the devastating effect CCD is having on agriculture and the economy. :chairshot: Yes, man made pollenation is possible; but it has a negative affect on he crops. It alters the flavor and growth of the crops and not in a good way. :mad: Honeybees have been around since Cleopatra and Julius Ceasar and for millenia before that. The fact something is now killing them en masse, is a BIG deal.

D_Brecock Evileye

Sexy Member
Media

And in four years man kind would disapear as well. Only we would leave a lot of corpses. Starvation is an ugly way to go.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
well the problem isn't that bleak but we might have to live on meat and potatoes and suppliment out nutrition with bars or pills.

StrictlyAvg

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Maybe not quite that drastic but it IS a symbiotic relationship. Honey bees aren't native to N.America - they were imported to assist crop production. So a lot of the things you grow to feed yourselves are things you need bees for. As are some of the foods domestic animals feed on, before anyone else touts meat as any viable substitute for fruit and veg...

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
well the problem isn't that bleak but we might have to live on meat and potatoes and suppliment out nutrition with bars or pills.

Or grow our own crops because it isn't a complicated thing to do...

One person on the block grows tomatoes, one grows potatoes, one grows apples, and so on...urban agriculture

...and besides, bees don't pollinate every plant or crop, that's not how it works

Couldn't this problem also be linked with the rapid spread of Africanized "killer" bees?

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Couldn't this problem also be linked with the rapid spread of Africanized "killer" bees?

No. The decline of bee populations is the problem, thus increased numbers of Africanized honey bees would be part of the solution.
As with European honey bees, Africanized bees attack in response to a perceived threat to their hive or resting swarm, but the attack is typically more relentless and by larger numbers.

There are also strains of this bee which do not exhibit this hyper- defensive protective behavior:

Africanized bee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited: