"Definately" Annoying...

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Only if the penult is short. If the penult is long, then it receives the stress.
Didn't mean the stress in latin words was usually on the antepenultimate , it isn't, just defining the meaning by example. 'Definately' the penultimate is normally stressed, exceptions are words that are compound or have suffixes.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The name of the thread should be changed. It should be called I am a snotty bleeding heat lefty with no life and havent taken my meds today:tongue:

Media
I'm pretty sure that would have been too long to qualify as an subject heading.
Yes mabye.:tongue:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!! :eek: Worse than a rough grade sandpaper dildo being pile-driven up your ass when you have hemorrhoids, and rubbed done with salt and iodine afterwards!:biggrin1:

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!! :eek: Worse than a rough grade sandpaper dildo being pile-driven up your ass when you have hemorrhoids, and rubbed done with salt and iodine afterwards!:biggrin1:
Oh ! Sam i just find threads like this insulting to other members. The lack of compassion for others peoples feelings is sick. :cool:

Media
Oh ! Sam i just find threads like this insulting to other members. The lack of compassion for others peoples feelings is sick. :cool:
Really?! Thanks for giving me your 3400th post, Dude!

I'll punctuate you any day, Uncut, you sexy hawt man! Just give me a good alliteration and I will orally correct your dangling participle any time! I'm open for some good verbage in the pluperfect whenever! YES!

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Really?! Thanks for giving me your 3400th post, Dude!

I'll punctuate you any day, Uncut, you sexy hawt man! Just give me a good alliteration and I will orally correct your dangling participle any time! I'm open for some good verbage in the pluperfect whenever! YES!
Thats a deal..........:smile: :tongue: :wink:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
The antepenultimate time that I used the word penultimate in this thread was the also the first time I used the word penultimate in this thread.

Unless antepenultimate means something weird.... as I was just guessing.

Not true, NIC.
You used 'penultimate' in the 8th post, the 13th, and twice in the post I'm quoting above.
So your antepenultimate usage -- the 3rd from last -- was in the 13th post, while the first usage was in the 8th.

How about simply calling it "Eggcorns, the sequel"

Because there was too much carnage first time around.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
English not being your first language is a terrific reason to make a common mistake. Last year, I receive a list of words that I regularly misspelled from another member here. While I was certainly chagrinned, I appreciated the chance to learn to correct those things. One was existence, which I spelled existance.

Chagrined is a plenty big enough word on its own without the need to embellish it with superfluous letters...:tongue:

My wife (an English major) and I are both closeted grammar Nazis. We share a particular pet peeve...the almost universal (penuniversal?
:wink:) confusion of the masses by the apostrophe. Such a small little symbol to be so very misunderstood. We can never agree which is worse: instances where the apostrophe has been omitted, or instances where it's been included incorrectly.

The true irony, of course, being the fact that my wife is generally a terrible speller... :biggrin1:

Seriously, though...the rules are simple: It shows possession (except for pronouns), and it indicates contractions. IT IS NOT USED FOR PLURALIZATION!

(OK, there's an exception to the pluralization rule...it's acceptable to use an apostrophe when indicating plurality for a single lower-case letter, e.g. minding your p's and q's.)