Do you like documentaries?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Rosalind Mussell, Mar 7, 2011.

1. D_Rosalind Mussell

D_Rosalind Mussell New Member

Okay, I have to admit that I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to documentaries. I don't have any strict tastes when it comes to subject preferences, but I do lean towards the social, medical and music varieties.

Anyone else here like documentaries? Any recommendations? Favorites?

I recently watched Paul McCartney Really Is Dead - The Last Testament Of George Harrison. I thought it was fantastic and I'm not even a Beatles fan. It made for an incredible story, I highly recommend it.

2. EmJay

EmJay New Member

I loved 'Sicko' ..I always love Michael Moore
    Hoop dreams

I always loved the 'True Life'.episodes on MTV.

And am still discovering some new ones..

3. D_Rosalind Mussell

I watched Sicko last year...makes you think! There are some great "True Life" episodes, too. I'll always remember the one about OCD, I felt sorry for those people. I never saw Hoop Dreams but that will have to go on my list.

One of my favorites is the PBS series Frontline. They cover a lot of interesting subjects.

4. ManofThunder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I greatly enjoy documentaries about anything. History, music, people - it makes no difference to me. Although, I can't stomach anything to do with reality television and its 'stars'. 'Stephen Fry in America' is one of my favourites. A six-part series with much replay value, (to me anyway). Other than that, nothing springs to mind but I recommend anything on the Discovery channel and National Geographic. The crime documentaries can be fascinating too! Assuming you are interested in the subject matter, they are always well made and very entertaining.

5. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I tend towards history and nature (plus travel etc), if I'm honest. :)

6. babl

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I too nerd out to documentaries. I'd have to browse through my netflix to compile a real list, but off the top of my head, I can think of the following:
    The Bridge, Food Inc., The Business of Being Born, Exit Through the Gift Shop, Super High Me, The Cove, Dark Days, Good Hair, Capturing the Friedmans, Man on Wire, Jesus Camp, Outfoxed, The Aristocrats, and Helvetica.

#6 babl, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  7. nudeyorker

Gold Member

8. B_bi_mmf

B_bi_mmf New Member

Great list!

Also, Nursery University, Dad's In Heaven With Nixon, My Kid Could Paint That, The Most Dangerous Man In America, Gasland, Trouble The Water, My Architect, Marwencol.

#8 B_bi_mmf, Mar 7, 2011
  9. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I'm more of a History Channel Person. However i am a Beatles fan. Paul is alive and well, by the way. At any rate, i am downloading this now. Will watch it.

10. D_Rosalind Mussell

I hope you enjoy it! It's very well done and convincing, even though I am skeptical of it. True or false, it's very entertaining.

11. D_Rosalind Mussell

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! I don't get NatGeo but I wish I did because I love the documentaries they have on Netflix. I'm definitely beefing up my queue tonight.

One documentary I couldn't finish watching was Jesus Camp. I became way too upset when that woman made those kids cry. I don't think I ever came so close to throwing a tv out the window than that moment.

As far as recommendations for great documentaries, you should give PBS' Frontline a go. They cover a wide variety of subjects and are always very informative. You can even watch full episodes online, which is a big plus.

Mr.Snakey, will you let me know what you think of that documentary? I can only imagine the strong reactions that fans have had to this.

Edit: I also recommend Independent Lens, as it always offers something unexpected, yet interesting.

#11 D_Rosalind Mussell, Mar 7, 2011
  12. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

I'm another documentary lover. My favourites are usually animal-related. I used to like history ones, but it's been a long while since any of them seemed to offer anything really new. I also like science ones on occasion (usually when they relate directly to humans, animals or evolution).

13. luka82

Gold Member

What he says!:wink:

14. D_Rosalind Mussell

Animal ones are great, but I agree that it can be difficult to find anything new. I love Discovery's Planet Earth series, though. That's one of my favorite documentaries, it has what MoT calls "replay value". I absolutely love the science ones as well, as they encompass such a broad range of topics. I think I'm especially drawn to the medical documentaries because if there is one on tv I will watch it.

15. nudeyorker

Gold Member

16. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

I think I've seen some of the Planet Earth episodes.

I particularly loved David Attenborough's 'The Life of Mammals' series. I think even I managed to find new stuff in that. I may even buy it one of these days.

And I quite enjoy medical ones as well. A medical/science one I really enjoyed was Michael Mosley's 'Medical Mavericks' series. It was a little light hearted at times, but it was another one that taught me things.

:eek: I'm amazed you still fly at all!

17. luka82

Gold Member

I think his voice is super hot! :biggrin1:

18. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

19. D_Rosalind Mussell

I'm with Subgirrl, I'm shocked that you still fly. Your sedative must be mighty powerful!

20. ManofThunder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    ^ Reasons not to fly. I think I'll go by ship when I decide to do my world travelling. The Titanic was just a one-time thing. Right? :eek:mfg:

Draft saved Draft deleted