Douchebags come out on top.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I know someone like this very well. Cheats the system. Never has to pay any taxes because of all of his "write-offs." Gets a free ride through college without having to pay the money back because he basically makes nothing. Which is a big fat lie I'm talking he actually made over 100K last yr, but has so many write offs everything "looks" legit to Uncle Sam. Very look at me type of person who does not work his butt off yet seems to get everything he wants and still come out on top.

It used to make me jealous. I have figured out that wanting what others have only makes me unhappy. I would rather be happy with what I have and to know that I have earned it by my own hard work and that nothing has been handed to me. While I may not be rich money wise in the end, hopefully my life will be richer. I would hate to become involved in the lying and cheating and become one of those people myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: deleted8312691

HungThickProf

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I know someone like this very well. Cheats the system. Never has to pay any taxes because of all of his "write-offs." Gets a free ride through college without having to pay the money back because he basically makes nothing. Which is a big fat lie I'm talking he actually made over 100K last yr, but has so many write offs everything "looks" legit to Uncle Sam. Very look at me type of person who does not work his butt off yet seems to get everything he wants and still come out on top.

It used to make me jealous. I have figured out that wanting what others have only makes me unhappy. I would rather be happy with what I have and to know that I have earned it by my own hard work and that nothing has been handed to me. While I may not be rich money wise in the end, hopefully my life will be richer. I would hate to become involved in the lying and cheating and become one of those people myself.

Thank you :) You made me feel a lot better.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I really liked that blog entry cited earlier. I'm in agreement with a poster who remarked about the overall smarminess of people who are seemingly advantaged in a lot of ways -- having sufficient human capital and economic capital, hobnobbing with the right people, networking to gain access to the best jobs, a tendency to rub their dumb luck in people's faces, and so on. While most of that is conferred very early on, and confidence (even if it borders on egotism) can afford someone some breathing room in being a dick while garnering acceptance, douchebags stay the way they are because of the reinforcements they get in daily life. Provided that no one is checking a douchebag's behavior, they'll continue to get away with it.

I'm of two minds about this. The first is a general belief that someday, somewhere, someone will stand up to the douchebag and give them their comeuppance. To the extent that misfortunes occur at random in people's lives, the probability for dealing with rough shit is roughly equivalent. Yes, people who suffer more do indeed suffer more, but the chance that misfortunate can befall anyone isn't changed. In other words, enjoy your loft and your condo because, dammit, you can only win at the investment shit for only so long.

The second -- and this is a bit rougher to admit -- is recognizing that everyone has the capacity to enjoy someone else's misfortune. Schaudenfreude. If I'm already not your biggest fan and I can't help but run into you in daily life, I have two choices to make. The mature, high-road one is to simply avoid you as much as possible. The second is to enjoy a haughty laugh if you stub your toe, wreck your car, or fall down a flight of stairs (not that I'll push you; I'll just lather my hands up in cocoa butter lotion so I can't grasp you). Moreover, it's acknowledging that we humans are capable of harboring negative sentiments and that it is our choice to feel them and to exercise them. That, and some people (like me) just do a crappy job of pretending that we like someone and wish the best for them when we really don't.

Are you a prick for feeling that way? Perhaps, but at least you're not deluding yourself about it. Until then, avoidance just seems like the most appropriate remedy. I find myself a lot happier in life if I just avoid douchebags altogether and to quit pretending as if they'll chance just because they're friends with me.

Reactions: deleted8312691

bigbulgelicker45

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Eventually their "top of the world reign" will end.

Last year, my company offered a buyout to every employee in the company. They were looking to get rid of 1,000 people (400 management 600 union) and based on years of service your severence package determined how much you'd get (even though I'm in Michigan the deflated mitten state) I left after 24 years of service and watched as the douches climbed the ladder of "success."

The funny thing was most of my peers were union and having gone on strike twice rose to the ranks of management. Once above the rank and file their douche came out. They lied, clawed and did whatever to get to the top and nepotisism played a part in their jobs.

Those who were in management could afford to send their kids to the best schools, colleges, etc. and were hired in as management. On a daily basis we were reminded of who their parent was.

While I worked my ass off (it's hard to say what percentage of my managers hated me) I continued to go to work and face getting written up every day over a "slight misunderstanding" and the douches who were "friends" tried to find anything they could on me. Even co-workers tried to get me fired who were in the union and unfortunately those of you who don't know how a union works a union member can't have another fired.

Now that Michigan is "the new Hollywood" I've been fortunate enough to work on some major movies (granted as an extra and I went from $26 an hour to minimum wage on some projects) but I'm happy but at the same time, there are douches in this business.

As an extra you can only talk to the PA assigned to you. However, there's more diva's (male and female) who disregard the rules and talk to crew and give the stars of the movie their resume. Somehow they're getting SAG eligible roles and agents and I'm well, getting nothing.

But! the douches who hated me at my old job are now envious of me so does that make me a douche?

sbat

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
there is a big question in the Jewish world , how could it be that a saint has it bad and evil has it good ? how can God let this happen. the rabi will say that we cant uderstand the way God works. i will say, leave god alone.
how many rich people with great looking wifes have a shitty life and cant fall asleep at night because they know that they are evil.the only thing you can do is work on your own karma.
after all life is a bitch...

Yeah, yeah yeah. And how many assholes are going to bed happy about the comfort they've worked cynically to achieve?

The world isn't a fair place. Get over it.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I read a blog about this the other day...
Very intelligent blog.

Cream rises to the top but so does scum. Sadly, scum seems to rise faster.

Do douches know that they are douches? Are they aware or the wrongness of their behavior or does their ego-centric view justify all they do?

Do douches recognize other douches as being douches or do they recognize other douches as "my kind of people". My observation has been that the latter is true. They do seem to attract one another and interestingly do not behave as douches toward one another very often. When it does happen it's directed to one with less social standing.

D_Rosalind Mussell

Sexy Member
Media
Once above the rank and file their douche came out.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this sentence. While some people are "douchey" by nature, some really good people put on this "douche" facade all the time in order to maintain their station at work, in life, etc. I've watched it happen many times and I feel sorry for anyone that feels compelled to toe that line. It's one of the reasons I never escalated to upper management...I just don't have it in me to play backstabbing political games and feel miserable every day for doing so. Been there, done it, not going back. I've witnessed the instances that Dante speaks of, though. Unfortunately for that person, everyone knows they are a douche and they probably lose as many opportunities as they gain. Think about it in the terms of people who get bad customer service, never complain, yet they never return to the establishment. There is always that unknown element we can't quantify.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Eventually their "top of the world reign" will end.

Last year, my company offered a buyout to every employee in the company. They were looking to get rid of 1,000 people (400 management 600 union) and based on years of service your severence package determined how much you'd get (even though I'm in Michigan the deflated mitten state) I left after 24 years of service and watched as the douches climbed the ladder of "success."

The funny thing was most of my peers were union and having gone on strike twice rose to the ranks of management. Once above the rank and file their douche came out. They lied, clawed and did whatever to get to the top and nepotisism played a part in their jobs.

Those who were in management could afford to send their kids to the best schools, colleges, etc. and were hired in as management. On a daily basis we were reminded of who their parent was.

While I worked my ass off (it's hard to say what percentage of my managers hated me) I continued to go to work and face getting written up every day over a "slight misunderstanding" and the douches who were "friends" tried to find anything they could on me. Even co-workers tried to get me fired who were in the union and unfortunately those of you who don't know how a union works a union member can't have another fired.

Now that Michigan is "the new Hollywood" I've been fortunate enough to work on some major movies (granted as an extra and I went from $26 an hour to minimum wage on some projects) but I'm happy but at the same time, there are douches in this business.

As an extra you can only talk to the PA assigned to you. However, there's more diva's (male and female) who disregard the rules and talk to crew and give the stars of the movie their resume. Somehow they're getting SAG eligible roles and agents and I'm well, getting nothing.

But! the douches who hated me at my old job are now envious of me so does that make me a douche?
Their are more douchebags per capita in the film industry than any other. I speak from personal, long term and intimate exposure to them. More inflated egos and wanna be's than you can shake a stick at. As an extra you are at the very bottom of the heap brother. Even craft-service people rank higher and have a better chance of "breaking in". Your friends resumes?... 99% go str8 into the bin.

nicenycdick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When my son was 17, he had an impassioned discussion with me which revolved around his perception that it was the jerks that got all the women. We've all heard this before, and, in fact, there may be some truth to the belief that woman go for the bad guys. But what I told him was this: Success in Life is not measured by how many women you sleep with or how many things you have been able to accumulate. It is measured by how much you have managed to conform to what you think is a good and productive life. If you value money over friends...your success can be only monetary. If you value your social connections, then your weekend parties and dinners become your focus and satisfaction. If it is your sexual success that drives you, it's the notches on your belt. The choice shouldn't be judged and there are good and bad people in each path. But...You get to choose, and you must satisfy your own ideals to be happy. Don't covet your neighbors' goods without recognizing that you might not really need them.

He always remembered that discussion. It helped him put the world into some kind of focus and to define what, after all, brings true happiness.

ConstantComment

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My feeling is that people prefer to be around winners and will do what they can to avoid losers. Yes, I am sure every poster here will tell stories of how they would never let a friend in need down.....(hookay)....but we do know of instances of those, who as they became ever more successful, profesionally, socially, gradually or not so gradually left the others behind.....that's because they want to continue to surround themselves even more with successful people to further enhance their success.......maybe even to (try to) pick up again with that person when they see that person's fortune change.

I try to be very aware of the social climbers. Since I haven't been disappointed in while, it seems to be working for me.

Are you looking for ways to entice Karma your wayor just venting?

Last edited:

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sorry for being jargony and technical but there is this social error that's called Just-World Hypothesis, where we always think that good things should happen to good people and bad things should happen to bad people. Well, it's what happens in the TV but sadly, it's not always the case, and it saddens me too, but good people seem to be hitting the bump so bad while the bad people can swerve to the safe side. It's unfair, but it's reality. It's sad, isn't it?

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Think about the people you know. Some of them are great people and deserve all the happiness in the world. :) But have you ever noticed that most of the douchebags you know seem to prosper? They have the gorgeous wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend they cheat on with other men and women; a trophy you would always cherish. They do half-ass work, and yet get the promotions while you busted your ass. They lie and cheat their entire lives and get into your first choice of schools, while you get waitlisted.

Where's the karma, and is there a statute of limitations for its power?

Just venting. Any other input?
The cool and frustrating thing about karma is we rarely get to see when it balances itself out. People who put out negative energy and treat people poorly get theirs in the end. Just because we don't always see it, does not mean it did not occur.

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I dont typically look at what other people have or do UNLESS it affects ME directly. I am a pretty consistent person in my actions, and the way I live my life. I dont like change very much either. Alot of people dislike me and think I am a douche solely because I am outspoken and say things that usually strike a nerve. But for me , honesty is the best policy. I've had my up's in life, and I've certianly had my downs, but each expirience teaches me something, and I believe life is about growth and knowledge. Envy and jealousy is dangerous. i prefer not to have those. Do I wish my cock were bigger ? Of course. Do I wish I were muscular without having to work out and lusted after by hot, sexy guys ? SURE. But as I know those things arent realistic in the near future, I choose to move on and not even think about em... Live your life without regrets, and when you look back, you can honestly say you were truly happy !

AMEN :rolleyes::mad::tongue:

Very well said my brother