Dr. suggested protein shake

dirkjesje

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Not so a bad idea - if it's a complete nutrition.

My sister height is 5'11" - not a small girl. She's 53 and in her menopause.
She had always a normal weight, but the last years she's losing weight for no reason, except she has no appetite.
She's now approx less than 120 Lbs - leggs tickness like my arms.
But she's periodically abusing alcohol - not that she's addicted but it happens once a week she's doing some binge drinking. ( a bottle of wine, half bottle[70cl/2] of vodka )

Her MD (also mine) has advised her to a sort of nutridrink. It's only 25cl and 300 kcal with a minimum of 10% RDA of all the necessary vitamins and minerals.
She was advised to drink at least 2 of them a day. It's not cheap but it seems to get her a boost.
And she's gaining weight. But slowly a rato 1kg (+/- 2Lbs) a month.

BBB2.5

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Those are the chemicals I'm talking g about. The drug regimen is specifically why it is important to get your food as whole as possible.
I understand that, Living with HIV is not new to me, been positive since 1992 ....no where in any of my post did I mention or say that I am NOT eating food.

I appreciate your concern, really I do

Reactions: AlteredEgo

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I understand that, Living with HIV is not new to me, been positive since 1992 ....no where in any of my post did I mention or say that I am NOT eating food.

I appreciate your concern, really I do

I don't mean to make you feel condescended to. I also don't mean to imply that you aren't eating. I'm merely offering suggestions based on my own experiences in the hope that they are helpful, if not to you, then to a future reader. Naturally, I wish you success in your quest for wellness. I hope you'll update the thread regarding what you try, and how you feel about the results.

BBB2.5

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't mean to make you feel condescended to. I also don't mean to imply that you aren't eating. I'm merely offering suggestions based on my own experiences in the hope that they are helpful, if not to you, then to a future reader. Naturally, I wish you success in your quest for wellness. I hope you'll update the thread regarding what you try, and how you feel about the results.
Will do...

Reactions: AlteredEgo

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Look... If you're having trouble with your appetite... To hell with what anyone says. Get down whatever you can get down. If you're underweight and eating is a problem. Drink a damn shake. Any ol protein powder is likely to do you more good than ensure as long as it's not an isolate that has a bunch of artificial sweetener in it. Those are meant to give as much protein as possible with as few calories as possible. There are lots of good gainers and protein powders out there. MetRX and Syntha6 both taste great so they may be easier to get down than some others. Most muscle milk products taste decent as well. Good luck man :)

BBB2.5

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Look... If you're having trouble with your appetite... To hell with what anyone says. Get down whatever you can get down. If you're underweight and eating is a problem. Drink a damn shake. Any ol protein powder is likely to do you more good than ensure as long as it's not an isolate that has a bunch of artificial sweetener in it. Those are meant to give as much protein as possible with as few calories as possible. There are lots of good gainers and protein powders out there. MetRX and Syntha6 both taste great so they may be easier to get down than some others. Most muscle milk products taste decent as well. Good luck man :)
Thank you for the suggestions on the types ... that is what I was asking for...

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've used both of those products and they were ok...
I've tried just about every gainer on the market.
Cost-wise, muscle milk gainer seems to be the best way to go...it tastes pretty good, there's several flavors to choose from & it mixes very easily.
Mass tech by muscletech is a decent product...as is critical mass aftershock by myogenix.
Stick with a name brand.
If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me.
Good luck!

BBB2.5

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've used both of those products and they were ok...
I've tried just about every gainer on the market.
Cost-wise, muscle milk gainer seems to be the best way to go...it tastes pretty good, there's several flavors to choose from & it mixes very easily.
Mass tech by muscletech is a decent product...as is critical mass aftershock by myogenix.
Stick with a name brand.
If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me.
Good luck!
Thanks for your advice.

Stratavos

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
if you have a costco membership, there's at least 3 brands of powder they carry at any given time. the bad news is that since it's costco, it'll take you between 2~4 months to use up the one container to find out of you want to try any of the others :s

palakaorion

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The HIV diagnosis casts your situation in a different light. A good friend is also living with HIV. He was always thin before, but the HIV wasting made him a walking skeleton, with no reserves at all. So anytime any little thing came along like a cold or stomach bug he was wiped out for weeks. Eating healthy and keeping weight on while living with HIV is a struggle for many.

First, and this shouldn't be a surprise since you've lived with HIV for so long, is STAY ON YOUR MEDS. My friend hasn't always done that and it nearly cost him his life. If your budget is tight and you have to choose between meds and protein supplements, meds win every time.

Second, and this also shouldn't be a surprise, some of the appetite enhancing meds can make you pop positive on a drug screen, as they are derived from cannabis. So if you are subject to drug screens in your job, be aware that your employer could discover your HIV status. My friend chose to discontinue his appetite meds to avoid this; he didn't want his status disclosed. (Cannabis may be decriminalized in some areas, but employers still can and do prohibit its use. Having a prescription might result in an exemption, but by then the cat is out of the bag.)

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
The HIV diagnosis casts your situation in a different light. A good friend is also living with HIV. He was always thin before, but the HIV wasting made him a walking skeleton, with no reserves at all. So anytime any little thing came along like a cold or stomach bug he was wiped out for weeks. Eating healthy and keeping weight on while living with HIV is a struggle for many.

First, and this shouldn't be a surprise since you've lived with HIV for so long, is STAY ON YOUR MEDS. My friend hasn't always done that and it nearly cost him his life. If your budget is tight and you have to choose between meds and protein supplements, meds win every time.

Second, and this also shouldn't be a surprise, some of the appetite enhancing meds can make you pop positive on a drug screen, as they are derived from cannabis. So if you are subject to drug screens in your job, be aware that your employer could discover your HIV status. My friend chose to discontinue his appetite meds to avoid this; he didn't want his status disclosed. (Cannabis may be decriminalized in some areas, but employers still can and do prohibit its use. Having a prescription might result in an exemption, but by then the cat is out of the bag.)

I think what he meant to say is "syntha 6 is really good"

BBB2.5

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

I have no problems getting my medications, great insurance. take then regularly. Wasting is difficult, not many people are aware that this condition can occur in people with HIV. I have actually gained about 4 pounds. Thank You for you input,

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I have no problems getting my medications, great insurance. take then regularly. Wasting is difficult, not many people are aware that this condition can occur in people with HIV. I have actually gained about 4 pounds. Thank You for you input,
Congrats on the 4 pounds :)

Reactions: BBB2.5