drew's at it again...

Indeed you shouldn't. You may have a case if you feel your workplace is hostile to you because of your sexual orientation. For whatever reason you do not feel safe working in that environment because of potential emotional or physical threat. Everything depends on the wording of the law.

Please talk to someone at the GLBT resource center in Broward. They can put you in contact with a lawyer who knows the law inside in out regarding Broward's antidiscrimination laws including, and this is very important, how the Broward and higher courts have interpreted the wording of the law. Or contact cigarbabe. Either would be good. Just be sure before you do that your work record is spotless. You don't want any reprimands, inexcused absences, NOTHING. You do not want to give them cause to fire you if you go forward with your complaint.

that's fuckin wrong that i have to have suffered monetarily for the laws to kick in! what ever happened to an equal opportunity employer? doesn't sound very equal if they let bigots spread their trash to the people who work with them. i feel uncomfortable. work shouldn't feel uncomfortable.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
that's fuckin wrong that i have to have suffered monetarily for the laws to kick in! what ever happened to an equal opportunity employer? doesn't sound very equal if they let bigots spread their trash to the people who work with them. i feel uncomfortable. work shouldn't feel uncomfortable.

I am looking for work right now so I see a lot of companies' statements on equal opportunity. Unfortunately, NONE of them state sexual orientation under the headings of what you cannot be discriminated against for. Goes to show why we need further LGBT rights legislation here.

As for getting unemployment benefits after being fired, it depends on the reasons for being fired, and also varies from state to state. I've tried to collect unemployment after being fired in both Indiana and Texas. I have not had any problems doing so in Texas, but in Indiana they required me to pay back all the benefits I had received, after I had used the money to pay bills, and my parents had to pay them back because they were threatening me with jail time! :eek:

I don't know if Florida is more like Texas or more like Indiana. If it's more like Texas, you could probably get unemployment benefits. If it's more like Indiana, you're outta luck.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
i really don't want to do nothing. i'm a fighter. this sucks, and it's killin me inside. fuckin 3 managers were there. and one even explained to him why he shouldn't say such things, even if he believes it.

ATL Big !

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Surfer

Do you work for Walgreens ?? I think I know some of the people you are talking about. I worked In that district for 10 yr.