Edwards finally endorses someone...

jack99821

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
...Senator Barack Obama. :smile:

So much for her "coalition" of workers and lower-middle-class whites.

Is the last logical end point for the Clinton camp?

Clinton's base in West Virginia reveres John Edwards so much that he won 7% of the vote in the primary. How many others would've voted for him had he not suspended his campaign?

Now the populist is passing the torch to Obama. This flies directly in the face of some of the claims coming out of her campaign in recent weeks.

The question now, of course, is whether this will dispel the fears of some of the... ah... let's say less open minded folks in West Virginia and elsewhere who still think Barack was sworn in on the Qu'ran. I'm thinking this will be the hammer to crack their shell of intolerance (also known as the "la la la I'm not listening" shell). It also may serve as a nice wake-up call that all of her campaigning means next to nothing at this point.

I'm not upset that Clinton is still running. She's totally within her rights. I am upset that her camp is misrepresenting the facts and ignoring the math so people will donate and help cover their $20mil debt. The fact that people feel passionately about this campaign and are willing to donate their hard-earned cash to political candidates is fantastic. It shouldn't be exploited. Let them donate to, say, the party itself. Tag the money for the general and hand it to the nominee. Don't give them false ideas that a few more ads will give Hillary a fighting chance. Her only hope are the superdelegates, and TV ads generally don't affect their decisions.

D_Kaye Throttlebottom

Experimental Member
Media
I thought about that this morning - when the soundbite from Hillary was - she can work white "working" class voters. They speculated if she was making a case for Vice president - highlighting the voting demographic that she can get. Immediately you wonder - if she was trying to get a VP nod, over John Edwards, b/c Edwards gets that voter demographic. So you wonder if she was trying to edge out Edwards. Though I thought for a long time Obama/Edwards might be a ticket...over Obama/Clinton *shudder*

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
i just have to wonder, why is it that alot of people hate Hillary Clinton? seriously, there is alot of anger directed towards her. i'm not on her side or anything (i'm Bahamian, not American) but i just had to wonder..

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
She's had a dirty campaign, focusing more on bashing her same party opponent than on honestly building herself up or atleast bashing the other party's leader. And while perseverance is a virtue, even with how long she's been losing, she refuses to step down and support the winner. Instead she fudges the numbers and makes people believe she can still make a comeback (which at this point is damn near impossible) so that they'll donate money to a lost campaign and help her recover the debt she's built up in the process. In short, she cares more about herself than about her party.

bearsnotcubs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
She's had a dirty campaign, focusing more on bashing her same party opponent than on honestly building herself up or atleast bashing the other party's leader. And while perseverance is a virtue, even with how long she's been losing, she refuses to step down and support the winner. Instead she fudges the numbers and makes people believe she can still make a comeback (which at this point is damn near impossible) so that they'll donate money to a lost campaign and help her recover the debt she's built up in the process. In short, she cares more about herself than about her party.

the fact that she was such an advocate for universal health care when bill first took office... and she's now the largest recipient among politicians of campaign contributions from the healthcare industry who fought her tooth and claw back then is just ANOTHER reason not to trust hillary. she quite literally sold her soul.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
obama/edwards now there is a white house without any fucking balls. An egghead and a fruit cake, they remind me of laverne and shirley. I can see them now doing hopscotch throughout the white house and singing the theme song to that show "Making our Dreams Come True". Upon further inspection of laverne and shirley from wikipedia:

Laverne De Fazio: Known for being a tough-talking tomboy [who grew up with her grandparents as well as in a single household with her father after her mother died]

Shirley Feeney: Is the perky, positive one. With apple cheeks to match her personality, Shirley never "lets her balloon land"

The comparisons are uncanny.

The democrats should be ashamed of themselves for turning their backs on the clintons after the prosperity we all enjoyed during their reign. This country is in dire straits right now; "change" is not the answer, a FIX is. Let the clintons (who actually know what they are doing) fix this mess up and then let little obama and shirley play hopscotch allll they want.

This would have also been a way to basically ensure 16 years of democratic reign but instead we might not even get 4. It amazes me how no one was able to look into the future or even care enough to try to get hold of the white house for 16 years, instead of blowing their load on a rookie whose reverend is more in touch with the american people than he is. Even if the fruitful pastry combination obama/edwards does get into the white house, then what? A clinton/obama ticket would have been a SURE FIRE victory. After 8 years of that, and 8 years for Obama to actually gain some fucking clout, he would then have 8 years of his own and everyone could frolic around and sing "change" all they want. That is 16 years.

Change is slow, it takes time. We need a fix right now.

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I am wondering if he would have still endorsed Obama if Clinton was the one with the vrtual lock on the nomination. I agree with TP, he is angling for the VP slot.

TinyPrincess

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I actually don't think it's only about the VP slot. Edwards has been harsh about Obama lacking experience, but they both are against the old timers in DC, so I think this is a major reason for the endorsement. Billary would just be another 4-8 years of old timers.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
obama/edwards now there is a white house without any fucking balls.

Obama's response to Don Imus begs to differ.
When every other candidate wrote it off as an accident, and Hillary was too much of a wimp to speak her mind on the matter, Obama was the only one willing to risk the potential outlet and positive publicity of his endorsement to say what needed to be said. That after so many years on radio, things like that aren't mistakes and he should be reprimanded for it.
Granted this is only one instance, but I'm sure others will follow with more.

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Obama/Edwards would suit me just fine - and they can beat McCain

Actually Obama/Edwards is not such a good idea. Obama needs to pick someone who he can work with but at the same time has significant Washington experience if he wants to be able to hit the ground running from day 1.

i just have to wonder, why is it that alot of people hate Hillary Clinton? seriously, there is alot of anger directed towards her. i'm not on her side or anything (i'm Bahamian, not American) but i just had to wonder..

Health care reform
Travelgate
White Water
Lincoln Bedroom
Castle Grande
Vince Foster
Stand-by-your-man
Carpetbagging New York

The list is fairly endless. She's not just some former first lady who simply waved and hosted parties while championing popular causes in her spare time. Hillary's been boobs deep in controversy since she was first lady of Arkansas. If you REALLY want to know, go look it all up, but it's a lot of nauseating reading.

TinyPrincess

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why do we need Washington experience? It's it time for CHANGE!?

Edwards could be a good choice for getting the older women and blue collar workers back under Obama. And let's not forget Edwards was the man kick starting many of the topics - e.g. universal health care.

TinyPrincess

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Health care reform
Travelgate
White Water
Lincoln Bedroom
Castle Grande
Vince Foster
Stand-by-your-man
Carpetbagging New York

The list is fairly endless. She's not just some former first lady who simply waved and hosted parties while championing popular causes in her spare time. Hillary's been boobs deep in controversy since she was first lady of Arkansas. If you REALLY want to know, go look it all up, but it's a lot of nauseating reading.

I'm stall amazed they were able to cap all talk of the gun at the Vince Foster murder. Also that Hillary aides Maggie Williams and Craig Livingston removed files from Foster's office before Secret Service and FBI got there. How the heck could they have known Vince Foster would "commit suicide" exactly at that time?

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Edwards just let Obama turn him into the average politician. Edwards just lost major cool points. After Obama gets embarassed in West Virginia, and he needs Oprah to say he's "brilllliant" again; he pulls Edwards out of his butt to build him up once more...Obama isn't politically qualified to carry Edward's jock and he is willing to stand behind an empty suit. Sad really, after Edward's wife supported Hillary's Healthcare plan.

There are millions of Americans who do not believe Obama is best to lead this nation. There are millions of Americans who want Hillary Clinton to still be president.

What happened with Gore when Bush stole the presidency...What happened with Kerry when the Republicans destroyed his candidacy...millions of Americans just aren't willing to let it go quietly into the good night. They want a strong general election nominee and a strong president. Millions of Americans won't settle for an empty suit over the Republican candidate. Ignoring that would be a mistake.

Swing State Democrats Say Hillary Best For Top Of Ticket

5/9/2008

Over a dozen members of Congress wrote to other Democrats touting their support for Hillary, saying she is the strongest candidate to have at the top of the ticket in the fall.

The text of the letter is below.

Dear Fellow Democrat,
We are writing to you because of our shared belief in our Party’s principles and our commitment to ensuring that we have the strongest possible nominee to lead our ticket against John McCain and the Republicans in November.

The decision about who to support to be our Party’s nominee is not one that any of us should take lightly. We haven’t. But, after giving this important decision a great deal of thought, we are convinced that Hillary Clinton has the vision, skills and commitment to make the changes our country needs. As Democrats who have run and won in competitive Congressional districts and battleground states, we believe that Hillary is best positioned to successfully lead the Democratic ticket in districts and states like ours around the country.

As you know, Hillary has racked up victories in bellwether states like Ohio, Pennsylvania and now Indiana that are absolutely vital to winning the White House and maintaining our Congressional majority in the fall. Hillary has won the big battleground states by connecting with voters whose support we must have to win the general election. Her victories in Pennsylvania and Indiana were all the more impressive after being outspent by as much as two or three to one.

Pennsylvania was not just a victory for Hillary Clinton. It was also a wake- up call for superdelegates, forcing us to ask ourselves two essential questions: 1) Which candidate can carry the magic 270 electoral votes to win in the fall? 2) Which candidate is most likely to help our fellow Democrats in down-ballot races? We believe the answer to both of these questions is Hillary Clinton.

On the first question, Hillary has shown she can win the all-important battleground states like Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida even while being outspent. This speaks to her ability to connect with voters we must deliver in the fall, including blue collar Democrats who can sway this election as they have in the past.

On the second question, Hillary has won rural and suburban districts which we as Democrats must carry to maintain our edge in Congress. Of the fifteen districts rated “toss up” by the Cook Political Report, Hillary has now won ten. Of the 20 districts we picked up in 2006 that had gone for President Bush just two years before, Hillary has now won 16. She is strong in the places we must win to hold and expand our majority.
This is a historically close race. The candidates are separated by a mere percentage point or two and the path to victory for each candidate is the same: win in the upcoming states and secure enough pledged and automatic delegates to get to the number required to win the nomination.
The race now turns to the remaining six contests where the focus will be squarely on the economy. Voters in our states and across the country are voting on issues that affect them, their communities and their children’s future. We believe that they will decide that Hillary is the candidate who best understands those issues and has the best solutions to address them.

We Democrats are justifiably proud of both of our candidates, and if Senator Obama is our Party’s nominee, we will enthusiastically support him. But our responsibility is not to choose simply to support the eventual nominee; it is to help select the nominee who is best for our party and best for our country. Our choice is clear: Hillary Clinton is that candidate. We believe she should be your choice as well.
Thank you for consideration.

Sincerely,

Rep. Michael Arcuri (NY-24)

Rep. Shelley Berkley (NV-01)

Rep. Marion Berry (AR-1)

Rep. Henry Cuellar (TX-28)

Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand (NY-20)

Rep. Gene Green (TX -29)

Rep. John Hall (NY-19)

Rep. Darlene Hooley (OR-5)

Rep. Paul E. Kanjorski (PA-11)

Rep. Kendrick B. Meek (FL-17)

Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones (OH-11)

Rep. Silvestre Reyes (TX-16)

Rep. Mike Ross (AR-4)

Rep. Joe Sestak (PA-7)

Rep. Ike Skelton (MO-4)

Rep. John Tanner (TN-8)

Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (FL-20)

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm not sure that Edwards endorsing Obama will really do anything for Obama (except give him the delegates that Edwards amassed).

Edwards wasn't that spectacular of a candidate, to be brutally honest. The only thing he had going for him was the sympathy of being screwed over by John Kerry during the '04 run. Kerry got to keep his position as a Senator while Edwards had to lose his.

If the endosrmenst from Oprah didn't boost Obama's ratings, this certainly won't.

For both Hillary and Obama it was all about the delegates.

I honestly think that in the general election, Hillary would do better than Obama merely for the fact that the Democratic party can't dismiss Michigan and FLorida and how popular Hillary is in those two states.

Don't get me wrong, both candidates will lose to McCain in the general election. But for the one that can actually stand up to McCain, it has to be Hillary.

B_jacknapier

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
the fact that she was such an advocate for universal health care when bill first took office... and she's now the largest recipient among politicians of campaign contributions from the healthcare industry who fought her tooth and claw back then is just ANOTHER reason not to trust hillary. she quite literally sold her soul.

I literally just shit my pants at your claim