Effeminate gay men

slcnewlife64

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I don't think it really matters. I believe what is more important is to ask ourselves why we find it so "offensive" for a man to be "swishy" or "effeminate." I think a lot of gay men find it difficult to deal with effeminate gay guys because they think that str8 people think that ALL gay men are effeminate and therefore "not manly." What is really unfortunate about this way of thinking is it gives credence to the archaic notion that gender is biological. Gender and gender expression are not based in biology.

What do I mean by all this? The fact that you had issues with these supposed "effeminate" men in the restaurant "openly" acting flamboyantly says more about your insecurities about how people perceive you as a gay man. I don't mean to say this to you in a mean-spirited way, and I hope you do not take it as such. There are always going to be ignorant assholes who believe that all groups are one way or another; there's nothing you can do to stop that except to be yourself and prove them wrong.

As for the effeminate gay dudes, consider our world that much richer for having people in it who defy definition, labels, and boxes. Next time, send them a martini and tell them to keep the flame burning bright!

Agree 100%

B_theOtherJJ

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Like most things in life, its a matter of personal taste. To each their own. Its not MY thing, but live and let live. Thers a time and place for everything.

SR_Schlong_Dong_Silver

Experimental Member
Media
Effeminate men don't bother me generally, but I definitely DONT get turned on by them. However, what does annoy me is the type of fem gay man who is also bitchy and cruel. Even the 'flamboyance' thing pisses me off fairly early on because I find these people who just want an audience to perform to are so much more shallow than someone who just wants to chat to you. The 'flamboyant' ones just have to dominate and control the situation in exactly the same way some straight men use macho bravado to make themselves appear superior. The interaction just becomes unbalanced and one-sided. Bitchy queens and macho straights just seem interchangeable to me and rarely any fun.
All that said, fem men are a unique aspect of male homosexuality and it does give them special insights to life so they often have important things to say. But leave the attention-seeking 'look-at-me-look-at-me' types to the audience they've already enslaved.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
^I agree. I don't have a problem with it, but some guys are just faking being feminine cuz they know it gets them attention. I can't stand the loud, boisterous, act like Tiffany New York Pollard types who curse out the waitor cuz he brought them honey wheat bread and they wanted italian wheat bread.

D_Myer_Dogasflees

Experimental Member
Media
I'm gay, totally, and I've never wanted to act feminine, unless i wanted to laugh at my self. when asked i say i have balls and i like them. :D

don't understand these people at all, and this is from a gay guy.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Effeminate or not it's a turn off to me when I go out with the boys and they seem intent on making sure everyone around knows we're gay. I'm not a closet case, I just don't like to be outed wherever I go. People don't care. I know I don't.

SR_Schlong_Dong_Silver

Experimental Member
Media
Just want to make something clear. Effeminate men are great. It's just the ones who play up which do my head in. Effeminacy in itself is fine. I cant help thinking some fem guys got bullied in school and later go on to internalise that bullying and so some effeminate men become dominating, bitchy control-freaks. But that's just SOME effeminate men and my specific problem is THAT attitude, NOT effeminacy in itself.

And by the way, Quentin Crisp rocks. The Naked Civil Servant should be on the national curriculum in the UK. And all those Fred Perry boot-boy "straight-acting" types should be forced to read it too just to remember who they are and that battles were fought long before they were around by people much braver than them in the first place.

And as Quentin said "Never keep up with the Joneses, just drag them down to your level."

Class.

Supersized

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What is your opinion of very effeminate gay men?

I was in a restaurant one day, and two very effeminate "nelly" young men were shown to a table near mine. They were openly displaying all the usual stereotypical traits like limp wristing, high-pitched talking, and even "snapping" in the air.

One of the waiters nearby began snickering at them behind their backs.
I must admit that I was somewhat embarrassed myself at their antics.

I realize that there are different types of gay men and that everyone has a right to be "himself," but I thought these two young men were pushing the envelope a little too far.

I assure you that this post is not meant to start a flood of anti-effeminate gay bashing. I'm just curious as to what other people have to say about the subject. Thanks.

These are what I would consider some gay men who took the easy way and internalized a stereotype instead of fighting against it. To each his own I guess.

B_bxmuscle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Have you ever noticed how really fem guys usually (I'd say almost always) go after masculine dudes? If being fem is so great, and if people shouldn't be stigmatized for being themselves, and if bringing up the issue is homophobia, then why do they so rarely date each other, in effect rejecting guys most like themselves?? Hmmmm......

pantiedup4u

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I have never been with a man but I am really curious and do very much love the bottom position as a effem. I am a closet dresser only and even though my age is slowing my temper down I still have no problem defending any person or persons with what is their right to express who they are. However I am a tad mixed about the limp wristed and the openly high pitched voices being loud. There is a time and place for it all. I try my best to be friends with everyone. Goodnight all and I feel like I am going to be happy here at this site.

D

deleted871301

I don't really relate well to the 'femmies' because I'm not very 'femmy' myself but that doesn't necessarily mean I don't like them. If they are friendly and have a nice personality I get along with them fine. The ones that really piss me off are the bitchy queens who are nasty and rude to people about their clothes or their hair or their decor. I have no time for people like that.

I am 100% on board with this...

I may have long hair BUT I am every bit a man...