Barberseville

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea that excessive ejaculation can inhibit muscle growth? I was speaking to a bodybuilder, who was adamant that ejaculating more than once a week would inhibit muscle growth and that to bulk up efficiently masturbation and sex to completion should be reduced. I was sceptical as
I haven't seen much science to research this idea, apart from one Chinese study with a small sample size, cited here:

Can Sex Affect Your Bodybuilding Gains?

Would be very interested to see if there is research to support the view that abstinence should be part of a muscle growth programme, or not. Please share

Complex8

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Interesting. As an athlete, I can echo the sentiments that testosterone does affect performance (especially the stimulation prior to training and the ejaculation after). I've personally had trouble gaining over the years because of the level of cardio/training I did so when I decided to bulk up I didn't give a thought to how testosterone would, or could, play a role. Other more well known factors, like rest, diet, sleep, etc. were all important - that said, I think everyone knows how their body works and we all know that the mind is also a powerful tool. If believing that abstaining will help you grow, then you'll likely grow because you are focused on it rather than measuring it's effects in a controlled setting. As a food scientist, I also know that data sampling can often yield results that are easily interpreted and used to anyone's intent...not to say the Chinese study was incorrect, but Asian cultures also age differently than, say, Anglo saxon cultures, so it might be a variable in genetics. Still, I'd say if you want to experience how it works for you, take a week off - train hard on/before the 7th day and then ejaculate after and see how your results compare. Did you lift heavier, were you more aggressive, did you get a bigger pump - and measure. Who knows, might work for you. Personally, I'm not willing to give up daily ejaculations for slightly larger biceps ;)

DSF140

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
From what I've read, this has been debated since ancient history. Literally. The ancient Greeks discussed it. Modern science, however, has determined that the testes will cut back on its activities if the body tells them that production of testosterone is not needed. Your body will not store testosterone like a bank. It will eliminate testosterone and sperm as your body produces more. You body will determine how much you need based on your physical demands such as in training or with ejaculations. When you don't have regular orgasms, you are reducing the amount of testosterone that your body needs, and your body will naturally cut back on production. Cycling will also tell your gonads to cut back on activity because your body is already jacked up on testosterone.
Another question is whether ejaculation takes away from the total amount of testosterone in your body. The amount of testosterone lost in an ejaculation is minute, so I'm sorry to report that consuming a lot of bodybuilder spooge will not help you with your gains.
All of that being said, it is recommended that you don't ejaculate the day of a sporting event because ejaculation depletes stored energy elsewhere in the body.

ryans138

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Traditional Chinese Medicine has some unusual ideas about male ejaculation. Basically, do less of it as you get older as it drains your life force.

Practically speaking, though, there's no proven validity to it. There have been studies done on ejaculation and athletic performance (not necessarily muscle growth) and there's been shown to be no effect on it unless you do it 2-3 hours before the event. That makes sense since cumming is basically a mad yet very enjoyable sprint of sorts.

So shoot away and don't worry about your gains!

DSF140

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
The ancient theories were all based on the notion that a man had a finite amount of semen. Thus the more ejaculation you do, the sooner you run out of your "life force". But modern science knows that you are constantly producing testosterone with sperm and semen because it has a shelf life of only a few weeks. All "unused" (that is, unejaculated) sperm and semen get reabsorbed into the body. But don't think of that as a source for gains, because the product has already broken down. Also remember that if the body knows that the testosterone, along with the sperm and semen will not get used, it will produce less and less.
I know it's anecdotal, but just about every big lifter and bodybuilder, or any athletic guy I know unloads one way or another waaaayyyy more often than the lazy couch potatos that I know.