Fat to Healthy!

D_Quartered Pounder

Just Browsing
Media
Great job! I've done a journey from 271 lbs and I'm currently on about ~190 but I want to continue down to 'bout 165 along with some weight lifting

We have a winner on most weight lost so far folks! Thats about 80lbs! :eek: Amazing amazing job dude. Keep up the work! For lifting what I do for my routine usually is low sets/reps with heavy heavy weight, just an opinion. Keep it up! Your already 3/4's there so just a little more to go!

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've been into exercising and wise food choices since I was in my 20s. I had to stop running in the mid '90s because of knee and ankle injuries. I got fat big time. I became depressed and lazy. When injuries happen, find substitutes for the activity; don't just sit around and feel sorry for yourself. Years later, I bought a road bike and started riding. I dropped 65 pounds in 7 months. Last October, I got back into the gym. The progress is gradual, yet I'm seeing the results. No matter what our age, we can be fit and healthy, but it takes some work. It's totally worth making the time for it. Health and fitness is the best gift that we can give ourselves.

D_Quartered Pounder

Just Browsing
Media
I've been into exercising and wise food choices since I was in my 20s. I had to stop running in the mid '90s because of knee and ankle injuries. I got fat big time. I became depressed and lazy. When injuries happen, find substitutes for the activity; don't just sit around and feel sorry for yourself. Years later, I bought a road bike and started riding. I dropped 65 pounds in 7 months. Last October, I got back into the gym. The progress is gradual, yet I'm seeing the results. No matter what our age, we can be fit and healthy, but it takes some work. It's totally worth making the time for it. Health and fitness is the best gift that we can give ourselves.

Bummer to hear you got an injury! But its good that you kicked the laziness and starting going to bike! I agree with you, being healthy and fit is one of the best gifts we can give ourselves. I get such a good feeling after I get a great workout in, the hard work you put in does pay off in the end. Its not about getting results quick, but sticking to it and getting the results. Great job though and keep it up!

ggsitc

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I get such a good feeling after I get a great workout in, the hard work you put in does pay off in the end. Its not about getting results quick, but sticking to it and getting the results.

I think that's another aspect that trips up folks looking to get fit is that results don't happen overnight. I was guilty of that myself for many years. I knew I was too chunky and needed to do something and had a few weights to play with, but I'd do some haphazard-nothing-specific "workouts" for a day or two and be mad that I didn't look like Arnold already :tongue: that I'd then not do anything again for a few more months. Once I made the committment to actually do some real workout routines, and most importantly get the diet dialed in better, then the results happened ... but still not overnight. I have heard it said that getting fit "is a marathon and not a sprint."

D_Quartered Pounder

Just Browsing
Media
I think that's another aspect that trips up folks looking to get fit is that results don't happen overnight. I was guilty of that myself for many years. I knew I was too chunky and needed to do something and had a few weights to play with, but I'd do some haphazard-nothing-specific "workouts" for a day or two and be mad that I didn't look like Arnold already :tongue: that I'd then not do anything again for a few more months. Once I made the committment to actually do some real workout routines, and most importantly get the diet dialed in better, then the results happened ... but still not overnight. I have heard it said that getting fit "is a marathon and not a sprint."

Most things dont happen overnight :rolleyes:, and plus it gets better once it becomes routine its alot easier to hit the gym.

I realized one day when I got to the fourth floor at school all winded and sweaty, I figured wow this is getting a bit out of hand. Also when you get to the point where you ALMOST cant see your own dick, that alone was enough for me hahahaha. From that day I started to eat healthier and just start moving more and working out.

I'm hoping never to go back to my old ways :wink:

ggsitc

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
How about posting our before and after pix, if you have them? I find them motivating to see where I started from, and also like seeing other's progress. Seems like everyone else is leaner, bigger, more defined, etc. and that serves as further motivation.

I'll start, below is my before and current/after. Left side was taken just before I started lifting (fall 2007) and minding what I am eating, right side was taken tonight. I was around 200 lbs to start and am at about 175 lbs now, abt. 6 ft tall. Yeah, I'm still kind of soft, esp. around the middle.

Attachments

sizequeenNY

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
How about posting our before and after pix, if you have them? I find them motivating to see where I started from, and also like seeing other's progress. Seems like everyone else is leaner, bigger, more defined, etc. and that serves as further motivation.

I'll start, below is my before and current/after. Left side was taken just before I started lifting (fall 2007) and minding what I am eating, right side was taken tonight. I was around 200 lbs to start and am at about 175 lbs now, abt. 6 ft tall. Yeah, I'm still kind of soft, esp. around the middle.

All I noticed was the bulge in the after pic :tongue:

Seriously though, good job, you look great. I like reading all these success posts, they're great motivation. I have a long way to go. I eat well and exercise, making sure I have a calorie deficit. I gained the weight doing fertility treatments with my ex and it has been going off very slowly since. Like another poster, I have a hormonal issue but mine is because my hormones were upside down with treatment

Weight loss for men and women is very different. I know the best way for women is a calorie deficit through eating well and exercise, cardio at least five times a week, and some weights for toning- what it all means in numbers is very individual by your current BMI

ggsitc

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

:redface:

Like another poster, I have a hormonal issue but mine is because my hormones were upside down with treatment

I can't imagine fighting the fat issue with the hormonal problems. I know how hard it is just being tubby and liking food a little too much. The folks who have the endomorph and ectomorph body types also have an uphill battle. Kudos to all of the folks who fall into those categories for plugging along because you have twice the battle as others.

Weight loss for men and women is very different. I know the best way for women is a calorie deficit through eating well and exercise, cardio at least five times a week, and some weights for toning- what it all means in numbers is very individual by your current BMI

And it is even different from one man to another man or one woman to another woman. A certain combination of diet and exercise routine works great for this guy, but the other guy who tries exactly the same regimen won't necessarily get exactly the same results. Sometimes it comes down to a lot of trial and error: try something for a week or two and check your results and adjust accordingly, repeat. That takes a lot of dedication.

D_Quartered Pounder

Just Browsing
Media

Good to see your still stopping by, well I don't have any before pics, I was a bit too too nervous taking pictures before (I had a pretty big gut and man boobehs, I mean I had pictures but I would look at them and just delete them right after haha. I am getting better with pictures, I took these ones today and put them up :).

Seriously though, good job, you look great. I like reading all these success posts, they're great motivation. I have a long way to go. I eat well and exercise, making sure I have a calorie deficit. I gained the weight doing fertility treatments with my ex and it has been going off very slowly since. Like another poster, I have a hormonal issue but mine is because my hormones were upside down with treatment

Hey great to see another female poster stop by :). Good to hear that you know the basics about calorie deficit/some lifting/and cardio, seems like your on the path! I'm assuming in no time you'll be at your goal, just keep it up! We're here for ya! Just like GG said I couldn't imagine how much harder it would be if I had a hormonal imbalance or thyroid problems so I give you kudos and props for having lost weight :).

I can't imagine fighting the fat issue with the hormonal problems. I know how hard it is just being tubby and liking food a little too much. The folks who have the endomorph and ectomorph body types also have an uphill battle. Kudos to all of the folks who fall into those categories for plugging along because you have twice the battle as others.

And it is even different from one man to another man or one woman to another woman. A certain combination of diet and exercise routine works great for this guy, but the other guy who tries exactly the same regimen won't necessarily get exactly the same results. Sometimes it comes down to a lot of trial and error: try something for a week or two and check your results and adjust accordingly, repeat. That takes a lot of dedication.

I would definitely say I have an endomorph type body, my metabolism is pretty slow and I generally had that "round" look before I started to lose weight. Also I dunno about everyone else but I LOVE to eat, pretty much everything in the book, I guess thats how I got to be the big kid, for food I've been trying to limit myself and cut back which is always a hard thing to do. But I do agree with you on trying to find that perfect program, sometimes its about switching it up and finding that routine that really burns the fat, or you could try sticking with it and see how that goes. Definitely no easy way to go about it.

I've attached the photos on here :D. I'm definitely happy with where I'm at today, but gonna keep lifting just to get a bit more tone/defined.

Anyways great to see the posts in here keep it up guys! :biggrin1:

Attachments

BarelyMoreThan6

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I had my last cigarette on Feb 22 this year. A couple weeks later the 40's I was in were getting tight even... Couldn't take it. A friend had done NutriSystem and recommended it.

Since April 1st I've gone from 250 to 188 this past week from 40's that were tight to 34's that are falling off (dammit, I just bought them). I'm 5'9 and my goal is 160 so I have a bit more to go. My blood pressure is consistently 110/75 or so, it was 160-180/90-105.

I started out walking 5 miles a day and now I bike about 13 to 14 miles at least 4 nights a week. I have a bowflex but haven't been using it yet, with it being nice weather I'd rather do the walking and biking. When winter rolls around I'll start working out more with the bowflex.

The good thing about the NutriSystem program is that it's taught me proper portion size and better eating habits. For anyone that has trouble losing weight, I recommend it.

D_Quartered Pounder

Just Browsing
Media
I had my last cigarette on Feb 22 this year. A couple weeks later the 40's I was in were getting tight even... Couldn't take it. A friend had done NutriSystem and recommended it.

Since April 1st I've gone from 250 to 188 this past week from 40's that were tight to 34's that are falling off (dammit, I just bought them). I'm 5'9 and my goal is 160 so I have a bit more to go. My blood pressure is consistently 110/75 or so, it was 160-180/90-105.

I started out walking 5 miles a day and now I bike about 13 to 14 miles at least 4 nights a week. I have a bowflex but haven't been using it yet, with it being nice weather I'd rather do the walking and biking. When winter rolls around I'll start working out more with the bowflex.

The good thing about the NutriSystem program is that it's taught me proper portion size and better eating habits. For anyone that has trouble losing weight, I recommend it.

Congrats on kicking the bad habit! I have heard that right after you quit, its normal to gain a bit of weight. Also great to hear about your drop in pant side! Thats quite the dramatic drop, I use to wear 36's or 38's and I'm not the tallest kid in the world haha, now I'm wearing a 30 or 32 which fits pretty snug. But holy crap you bike alot! Anyways I haven't heard too much about bowflex or nutrisystem so cant really comment too much on those, I'd say to use some free weights with the bowflex to get a good lift in. I think thats what everyone has a hard time realizing is portion control and the better eating habits, looking back now in HS I had the worst eating habits. Once you get a good grasp on that its only a matter of time before the pounds start coming off. Great job though, keep it up!

LucUncut02

Just Browsing
Media
I guess it's my turn to post. Like Jake, I am not the tallest person in the world. I am 5'7. I have been overweight all my life and well the most I weighed was 275 arounf 3 years ago. Just imagine people!! I was never an active kid, and I started becoming more active in the last coupe of years. I finally got tired last year.

I January of 2010. I was 255 until about June. At that time I had already belonged to a gym, but never really focused and I said I am losing weight. I am gonna! It started with trying to watch what I eat, trying to stay consistent with the gym. I started doing half hour of cardio, and a half hour of different weights at a moderate level and I started keeping active. I remember when I had lost 10, 18 pounds in September and then 30 and I was life, I've never lost so much before.

I am now at 200 lbs. I've lost 55 pounds in a year. There's so much I would like to accomplish. I still have flubber, and jiggles and many well I would like to get lean, not big. I was a 42, and now I am at a 36. I recently tried 34 and they were very snug. I have hit a fitness plateau that I would like to get out of.

I am still keeping active, and workout and my whole lifestyle has changed since last year. I feel healthier and have more energy. Sex is great and I gained an inch guys!I would like to work on my muffin top belly, my man boobs, and pretty sculpt my entire body. I am open to suggestions guys :)

D_Quartered Pounder

Just Browsing
Media
I guess it's my turn to post. Like Jake, I am not the tallest person in the world. I am 5'7. I have been overweight all my life and well the most I weighed was 275 arounf 3 years ago. Just imagine people!! I was never an active kid, and I started becoming more active in the last coupe of years. I finally got tired last year.

I January of 2010. I was 255 until about June. At that time I had already belonged to a gym, but never really focused and I said I am losing weight. I am gonna! It started with trying to watch what I eat, trying to stay consistent with the gym. I started doing half hour of cardio, and a half hour of different weights at a moderate level and I started keeping active. I remember when I had lost 10, 18 pounds in September and then 30 and I was life, I've never lost so much before.

I am now at 200 lbs. I've lost 55 pounds in a year. There's so much I would like to accomplish. I still have flubber, and jiggles and many well I would like to get lean, not big. I was a 42, and now I am at a 36. I recently tried 34 and they were very snug. I have hit a fitness plateau that I would like to get out of.

I am still keeping active, and workout and my whole lifestyle has changed since last year. I feel healthier and have more energy. Sex is great and I gained an inch guys!I would like to work on my muffin top belly, my man boobs, and pretty sculpt my entire body. I am open to suggestions guys :)

Great great job so far buddy! Looks like your on a great path and following it to a tee. Your at the weight I was now when I first started! Your almost there! Now about your plateau have you tried switching up your routine? Maybe you could incorporate some heavy weight lifting to help bring up your muscle mass a bit, this is just a suggestion not sure of your routine as is. Also the thing that sucks about losing weight is you cant target the areas you want to lose, you just have to keep working and it will eventually just come off.

Here is a general outline of my routine - 6 days a week.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday - Lift days, Low rep high weight, full body workout. (Can post each exercise if anyone really wants to get into that)
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday - Small workouts (Abs, Dips, Pullups, things of that sort)

The weird thing is I haven't done much cardio at all (maybe 2-3 weeks all together), I figure I'm going to start soon to see if will up the bar and get me to that next level. I would do jumprope for about half an hour probably.

Like I said your doing great! Keep it up! If you need any help I'm hoping that the people of LPSG can help! :cool:

ggsitc

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Wow, it's great to read about the transformation stories! Congrats to everyone! I am totally in awe of the folks who drop the massive amounts of weight, mega props to them!

Jake -- great pix, looking really fit and lean and your weights work really shows!

BMT6 mentioned something I hadn't thought about, namely the reduction in blood pressure and by extension, resting heart rate, that comes with getting fit. I know my BP has come down, but don't have hard #s from before to make a solid comparison but time last I checked it was something like 110/60 or in that range. My resting heart rate is down under 60, which is really cool.

Folks have been mentioning cardio which is of course the best way for helping to shed fat, but I must admit I have done next to no cardio throughout my fitness journey. I do some biking in the summer, but no where near the miles that others have been mentioning here that they do, what I do others wouldn't even consider a warm-up, most likely. I try to do my lifting routines in supersets, which means you go from one exercise to the next with little rest between and that really gets the heart pumping and blood flowing for a good cardio workout in addition to the weight training.

Keep the stories and pix coming! We're all in this together!

D_Quartered Pounder

Just Browsing
Media
Wow, it's great to read about the transformation stories! Congrats to everyone! I am totally in awe of the folks who drop the massive amounts of weight, mega props to them!

Jake -- great pix, looking really fit and lean and your weights work really shows!

BMT6 mentioned something I hadn't thought about, namely the reduction in blood pressure and by extension, resting heart rate, that comes with getting fit. I know my BP has come down, but don't have hard #s from before to make a solid comparison but time last I checked it was something like 110/60 or in that range. My resting heart rate is down under 60, which is really cool.

Folks have been mentioning cardio which is of course the best way for helping to shed fat, but I must admit I have done next to no cardio throughout my fitness journey. I do some biking in the summer, but no where near the miles that others have been mentioning here that they do, what I do others wouldn't even consider a warm-up, most likely. I try to do my lifting routines in supersets, which means you go from one exercise to the next with little rest between and that really gets the heart pumping and blood flowing for a good cardio workout in addition to the weight training.

Keep the stories and pix coming! We're all in this together!

I agree its pretty crazy to see how many people from the community have lost so much weight! We should start a tally or something and see how many pounds we've all lost together haha. I haven't checked my BP or resting HR, I should go check at the nearest wally world lol.

I'm on the same page with you though on the light cardio and then supersets, I try to keep my rests under like 2m if I can. If I were to do any cardio its jump rope which I try to do for as long as I can.

Keep up the posts guys! :D