Finally getting rain!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Beautiful, beautiful, rain! For two days now, we've gotten a light-to-drizzling rain, and it's finally worked up the momentum to a good rain. We've gotten about 3 inches in the last two days; we were about 15 inches under the average (that's about 52% of the average for this time of year.)

In fact, it's the first really good, substantial precipitation we've gotten here since we had snow on the ground.

The grass was dead, the trees were dying. I'm glad it's raining again.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
Hey, that's great news DCD. Didn't realize the drought extended so far north, although I know things are getting pretty dire just to your south. Having a gorgeous fall here in the midwest... the grass is lush and green for a change after a relatively mild summer and the colors are brilliant. My favorite time of year. :smile:

Hope it keeps raining...

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Beautiful, beautiful, rain! For two days now, we've gotten a light-to-drizzling rain

Aside from playing hell with my allergies and asthma, I love this weather. I've gone walking the last two days in the drizzle, and it's been really nice. Even my son likes the rain-- I can't keep him inside!

. Having a gorgeous fall here in the midwest... the grass is lush and green for a change after a relatively mild summer and the colors are brilliant. My favorite time of year. :smile:

Sadly, the fall in New England and here further south has been pretty drab. I look forward to fall every year for the foliage, and this year even some photos shoots I was planning have been put on hold so that the foliage hopefully gets a little better before all the trees are denuded.

Lucky you, and enjoy for me, okay? :smile:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hey, that's great news DCD. Didn't realize the drought extended so far north, although I know things are getting pretty dire just to your south. Having a gorgeous fall here in the midwest... the grass is lush and green for a change after a relatively mild summer and the colors are brilliant. My favorite time of year. :smile:

Hope it keeps raining...
So far north? I'm quite a good distance south of the Mason and Dixon line! :biggrin1: 85% of Virginia is listed as being in "severe drought."

It seems like the weather has been on either side of the extreme for everyone. Those who have gotten rain have flooded, and those who haven't have gotten none. I'm glad the midwest has had good weather, though. I was in Michigan last month, and we got some rain while I was there. Didn't see any, though, driving back through Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, or Maryland.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We had some rain Sunday through Wednesday; but not enough to make a real difference for the reservoirs. It's been that annoying misty rain where you put your wipers on for 3 minutes then off for 5.:tongue: We are in a SEVERE drought status since early July. :frown1:

They have estimated that as of October 15th nearly 13,000 jobs have been lost :eek: due to the water shortage! Lake Lanier is a manmade reservoir which serves the city of Atlanta and a couple of other counties is way below level.

We are at risk for those wretched brushfires like California has been having. I worry about that a lot as I live in a subdivision surrounded by rural and agricultural land with lots of vegetation. It's been bad here for a while. Many cattle farmers have had to cull their herds. I've watched as the livestock on our road get skinnier and skinnier because there is nothing for them to eat.

You know the drought is bad when as you drive by a farm you can count the ribs on the horses and cows. It's been that way in Carroll County, Georgia since July. :frown1:

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey, DC, I'm jealous! Send some rain over here! All that's predicted for us is some more of those dreadful Santa Ana (hot, strong) winds. :wink:

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Maybe we can make a swap? Our weather for your weather?

LOL -- are you asking for some more rain? (Subject of this thread) Or do you want some of the So. California forest fires that get fanned by the "Santa Ana" (hot, dry and very strong) winds?! :wink::wink:

B_Swimming Lad

Experimental Member
Media
LOL -- are you asking for some more rain? (Subject of this thread) Or do you want some of the So. California forest fires that get fanned by the "Santa Ana" (hot, dry and very strong) winds?! :wink::wink:

No we don't wan't forest fires cheers. Just a bit of sun!! Its practically winter here again and we've had no summer!! Just rain. And flooding. :frown1:

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
So far north? I'm quite a good distance south of the Mason and Dixon line! :biggrin1: 85% of Virginia is listed as being in "severe drought."
Haha... yes, I realize DC isn't "northerly", it's just that most news reports refer to Georgia and southward from there.

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual

I'll take the forest fires. We can set them off up north and eat marshmellows on them.

...It doesn't matter if we burn down Liverpool, it's only worth a tenna anyway.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
They have estimated that as of October 15th nearly 13,000 jobs have been lost :eek: due to the water shortage! Lake Lanier is a manmade reservoir which serves the city of Atlanta and a couple of other counties is way below level.
You are in the national news now, sweetheart. An aerial photo of Lake Lanier was the top headline in today's Washington Post. "Way below level" doesn't come close to describing it.

Last weekend, my partner, a friend of ours, and I went on a little road trip, exploring out in Loudoun County VA. We visited an old historic mill, and took the tour. The miller was showing us the headrace (where the Little River is diverted into a 'holding area' to power the water wheels) and told us that this is the first time in 200 years that the headrace had run dry - so we didn't get to see the actual grinding process which is usually a part of the tour.

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yesterday, a coworker and I drove through multiple bands of thunderstorms to attend a one-day conference in Fayetteville. Crazy drivers, poorly lit roads, poorly painted roads, construction, water pooling in the road, the whole bit. For two and a half hours, each way.

But this might go far toward reducing the 14-inch rain deficit we have in North Carolina.

NCbear (who's glad to be able to write "14-inch" in a post referring to something other than fictitious underage penises)

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This was a good rain for the east coast, but we need a lot more. I got 3.6" this time. At least this lowered the fire danger here in the mountains. It will help the rivers and lakes too, but we need more for the ground water.