Home Depot or Lowes?

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Over the course of the last four years I've probably spent a helluva lot of money at both, repairing the old homestead. One night I got to wondering whether I spent more at one than the other. Slow night I guess.

I came to realize that even though I didn't consciously choose to go to one or the other (both have several locations equi-distance from me, and are next door to each other at one location) I subconsciously chose depending on what I was getting.

For example, most light fixtures, fans, and big ticket appliances came from Lowes, whereas bathroom fixtures (tubs, toilets, faucets, vents) from Home Depot. Tile, flooring, paint and painting supplies also. I have no idea where the contractors shopped. Luckily for me, it wasn't "China".

Lowes I think is the place you and your significant other go to browse the aisles and do some window shopping. It has a higher end type of feel to it.

Home Depot on the other hand, I think is the place where guys (and gals) just run in to find that pipe connector doohickey, some odd nuts and bolts... in and out. I'd never think to buy lumber at a Lowes, or a bag of ready mix cement.

When I think of the annoyance factor, Lowes tends to edge out the Depot. It just seems I've had more problems with a return or some other technicality at a Lowes, way more than Home Depot. At the latter, if it scans you'll get a refund, no muss no fuss... even if it's store credit plastic.

Lowes on occasion was a little "iffy" though. And their plastic store credit still requires a signature, an i.d. ... something to irk you.

Still, I guess, I've probably spent about the same with them both. And good thing. I wouldn't want to be taken for granted, now would I? :cool:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why, may I ask. Just curious of another's take on the subject.
Home Depot initially was a bare bones place that catered to contractors and do-it-yourselfers. Lowes on the other hand was quietly marketed as Home Depot for women. Lowes is brighter, lighter, cleaner, has more aesthetically pleasing displays; and as a result is often much more expensive. I can put up with some saw dust and dirt to save $10 on a router or whatever.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Home Depot initially was a bare bones place that catered to contractors and do-it-yourselfers. Lowes on the other hand was quietly marketed as Home Depot for women. Lowes is brighter, lighter, cleaner, has more aesthetically pleasing displays; and as a result is often much more expensive. I can put up with some saw dust and dirt to save $10 on a router or whatever.

Hmmm...good point. Didn't know of the marketing background. There are some things you can find at one and not the other tho.

D

deleted3782

When I was a kid, Lowes was just a North Carolina company that catered mainly to contractors. Regular folks went to hardware stores and suppliers. Around 1990-ish, they began to change their model with bigger stores and more merchandise in higher traffic commercial locations. Within the same period, Walmart, Circuit City, Home Depot, Sports Authority and K-Mart built huge big-box buildings on the outskirts of the city....all mixed in with crap like Fuddruckers, Applebees, TGIFridays, Ruby Tuesday, blah blah blah.

I guess I like Lowes...because it is a local company (North Wilkesboro/Mooresville NC)...and I prefer blue to orange. Lowes is slightly more logical to me...but they are all way too big. I miss the hardware stores where you could walk in, tell the guy what you wanted, and he brought it out to you.

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Home Depot when homeowner. spend $12,500 one afternoon for double pane windows and new furnace/air conditioner.

since then, Lowe's because it's lass than half mile away.

neither has good looking employees.

D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Account Disabled
Media
Both rip you off and never have what a "real" contractor would need. The lumber selection sucks as well as much of the plumbing supplies and tool selections that cater to the Black and Decker crowd. Real contractors go to plumbing supply houses where general homeowners aren't usually welcomed without having a company account. Painters go to Sherwin Williams. You need lumber you go to a lumber yard.

If you're a homeowner, then these stores will usually suffice, but if you're a contractor, the best these places can offer is convenience for a tube of caulk or the occasional extra 2x4. Customer service is usually shit too.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I am also remodeling a house and have used both. HD is closer but I find I am searching the store. I hate the lay out. I like Lowes and it is so much easier to shop in it. I have attended a tile class at HD it was fine...but then the product line was cheap as hell. I have made much better deals at Lowes and have even had soem additional lower prices given when talking to managers etc at Lowes. So Lowes is the winnner for me.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hmmm...good point. Didn't know of the marketing background. There are some things you can find at one and not the other tho.
Hmm, sometimes I like the plants at Lowes better but I live in Georgia. Georgia is the birth place of Home Depot. You can't swing a dead cat w/o hitting a Home Depot. :biggrin1: The nearest Lowes is 17 miles away. Unless I see something in the Sunday sale flyer that I want from there it's just not worth the drive or the gas.

When I was a kid, Lowes was just a North Carolina company that catered mainly to contractors. Regular folks went to hardware stores and suppliers. Around 1990-ish, they began to change their model with bigger stores and more merchandise in higher traffic commercial locations. Within the same period, Walmart, Circuit City, Home Depot, Sports Authority and K-Mart built huge big-box buildings on the outskirts of the city....all mixed in with crap like Fuddruckers, Applebees, TGIFridays, Ruby Tuesday, blah blah blah.

I guess I like Lowes...because it is a local company (North Wilkesboro/Mooresville NC
)...and I prefer blue to orange.
As do I and I totally get shopping the local store.

Lowes is slightly more logical to me...but they are all way too big.
I miss the hardware stores where you could walk in, tell the guy what you wanted, and he brought it out to you.
Oh God yes!

Home Depot when homeowner. spend $12,500 one afternoon for double pane windows and new furnace/air conditioner.

since then, Lowe's because it's less than half mile away.

neither has good looking employees.
:eek: I've noticed that some of the men are plain but not ugly, they usually get cute young girls for the registers and customer service.

*SNIP* Customer service is usually shit too.[/QUOTE] I have only once had a problem with the customer service at a Home Depot in South Jersey. I guess the guy was used to dealing with lesbians who know stuff. :tongue: I went there straight from work for something & there I am in a Ralph Lauren tweed suit & Stuart Weitzman pumps. My nail polish costs more than he probably makes an hour and he was asking me questions about the item I just asked him a question about. I'm like dude, look at me. Do I look like I can answer that question? :irked:

Icantthinkofaname

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
:eek: I've noticed that some of the men are plain but not ugly, they usually get cute young girls for the registers and customer service.
You need to start shopping at a different Home Depot then, I don't know where you live in Georgia, but the one in Vinings has a couple of good looking men and women. There was this one guy working there with a British accent, I used to come in just to hear him talk (And well, I needed new locks) >_>

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've dumped a small fortune at these stores also.

They both sell pretty much the same stuff but different brands of the same things. I end up buying more things at Home Depot because there are so many more of them around than Lowes, which makes returning things easier. I also think Home Depot is cheaper, but not much.

The service between different Home Depot stores varies widely I have found. Some are staffed with knowlegable helpful employees while others are staffed by worthless nimrods. Lowes seem to have less employees on the floor than HD but most seem to be pretty helpful. As someone has said before Lowes has a better store layout and it's just cleaner and more organized than HD which makes it a bit nicer to shop there.

Lowes seems to have better outdoor furniture and BBQ's, interior lighting, and interior finish goods like window coverings and decorator shelves, mirrors...etc. Their paint selection is much better than Home Depot IMO. They even let you return custom color paint. They also carry Cabot stains which is vastly better than the Behr stuff at HD. Lowes also seem to have a larger better appliance selection with higher end stuff.

Home Depot has better a flooring selection - tiles, carpet. It also has a better electrical goods section with Leviton products vs. Cooper at Lowes. And the plumbing section seems to be better stocked with a wider variety of things. I've bought more tools at HD than Lowes probably because there is a better selection and Lowes doesn't carry Rigid. It also seems that there is just more stuff jammed into a Home Depot than a Lowes.

But in the end they are both about the same other than the fact that one is orange and one is blue. If they switched colors you probably wouldn't know the difference.

As a side note - the cheapest best place for tools is Harbor Freight Tools I've found. I just got a great deal on a tile cutter there and some great cheap clamps and woodworking supplies.

Last edited:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Yes, I agree with a lot of the above. As for employees, whoever does the hiring at one local Home Depot seems to have a eye for rather comely looking women with nice derrieres. ah em...

And yes, H. Depot's plumbing sections have the widest variety of odd and end pipe fittings, assorted rubber grommets and washers... the "down and dirty" of home construction. Whereas Lowes does seem to specialize more in the finishing products and higher end knick knacks.

I haven't noticed any consistently appreciable price difference between the two. Some Lowe's appliances seem to run a bit higher but they seem to usually be higher end or slightly more finished versions of the same model.

You'll find that Home Depot offers its share of high end products too. But you usually have to get those items online or by "special order".

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes, I agree with a lot of the above. As for employees, whoever does the hiring at one local Home Depot seems to have a eye for rather comely looking women with nice derrieres. ah em...

And yes, H. Depot's plumbing sections have the widest variety of odd and end pipe fittings, assorted rubber grommets and washers... the "down and dirty" of home construction.

It's ironic that your Home Depot is staffed by hot chicks AND has a great plumbing section. hehe

The Lowes in Cotati, CA has the best looking guys working there hands down. Have seen plenty of hunky hot guys shopping there as well...always with their wives. Arg.

Last edited:

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Homo Depot is my preference. I prefer their pants (which is what I have mostly purchased from them). Also, I have 3 HDs that are closer to me than Lowes.

Hot guys at both stories. WOOF!

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lowes.

Home Depot has gone way downhill IMO. At least the ones I've been to in the past few years.

For the layman trying to do minor home jobs, either store usually has what one needs.

Lowes is cleaner. Points for that.