How many races of people do you think there are?

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Depends on how you look at it, Doc.
The 'Asian' 'race' is called 'Asian' because it is in Asia.
The Ainu are in Asia.
Therefore they too must be Asian.
So we would have to say something like, 'The Ainu are an Asian race somehow distinct from the main (or whatever) Asian race.'
Point well taken. I really should be more careful about terminology in a thread where that is the main issue. What I meant was something more like: The Ainu are distinct from the main Japanese population in that they are "round-eyed" and "hairy," like so-called Caucasians, but seem unrelated to either the "Asian" or the "Caucasian" populations. In that sense, I have heard them described as an additional race, and they would seem to qualify using mem's definition.

I dont deny them, I just don't classify them as a separate race. I am talking about 75,000 years ago. The Aboriginals (which I've heard called Aborginese, but I'm not sure of the spelling) and Native Americans migrated closer to modern times. Even if it was 10,000 years ago.
By now, of course, it is clear that you don't really intend this as a serious thread so I am posting this as a more general response to keep the conversation going with those who are really interested. I concur that both aboriginal Australians and aboriginal Americans represent subsequent migrations from Asian migrations; still can't we concede that Aboriginal Australians represent an extremely distinctive and separate group from Asians, generally. In fact, they more closely resemble modern day Africans and it is only through genetic DNA sampling that it was definitively established they descend from ethnic groups in modern day India, and did not migrate directly from Africa as had been widely postulated based on appearance alone.

I remain uncertain where the cut-off date for separation of populations is in the OP's mind, or the logic behind it. (I'd propose that complete continental separation of a population for a long enough period to create a distinctive appearance ought to be a good enough reason to construct a "race" even if the migration took place only 40,000 years ago - that's the lowest estimate for the inhabitation of Australia that has been credibly quoted.)

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Point well taken. I really should be more careful about terminology in a thread where that is the main issue. What I meant was something more like: The Ainu are distinct from the main Japanese population in that they are "round-eyed" and "hairy," like so-called Caucasians, but seem unrelated to either the "Asian" or the "Caucasian" populations. In that sense, I have heard them described as an additional race, and they would seem to qualify using mem's definition.

Some of them even have blue eyes, Doc.
But I think most assumptions are that their antecedents are from Western Asia.
Of course, even those assumptions would only take matters back so far.

By now, of course, it is clear that you don't really intend this as a serious thread so I am posting this as a more general response to keep the conversation going with those who are really interested. I concur that both aboriginal Australians and aboriginal Americans represent subsequent migrations from Asian migrations; still can't we concede that Aboriginal Australians represent an extremely distinctive and separate group from Asians, generally. In fact, they more closely resemble modern day Africans and it is only through genetic DNA sampling that it was definitively established they descend from ethnic groups in modern day India, and did not migrate directly from Africa as had been widely postulated based on appearance alone.

You've caught my interest, Doc. Who are you reading?

I remain uncertain where the cut-off date for separation of populations is in the OP's mind, or the logic behind it. (I'd propose that complete continental separation of a population for a long enough period to create a distinctive appearance ought to be a good enough reason to construct a "race" even if the migration took place only 40,000 years ago - that's the lowest estimate for the inhabitation of Australia that has been credibly quoted.)

Seems reasonable to me. I mean, the notion of 'race' comes from, if you will, 'surface' observation, initially. So distinctive appearance is the factor that created the notion in the first place.
Distinctive appearance -- even without continental separation -- would allow one to construct a 'race.' (And one could say that the 'races' of Africa, Asia and Europe came into being, if we accept the premise that different races exist, without true continental separation.) In fact, that's just how we've done it.
But this is all a little obvious, I suppose.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
All populations have some people with blue eyes and/or blond hair, I think around the baltic it is around 80%, with similar degrees among the Finns and Swedes, whose languages, at least, are unrelated. Decreases very roughly with distance through Europe, north Africa and adjacent Asia. Elswhere it is a variation within isolated populations, no relation to distance from the epicenter.

The Ainu were the aborigonal people of most of the Japanese islands.

I think the concept of races is just a few centuries old, with Europeans in the new world distinguishing themselves from African slaves.

People used to try to assign everyone to one of the twelve tribes of Israel.

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Right, but where did they come from? Are they part of the European migration out of Africa that got pushed Eastward by the subsequent "Asian" migration, isolated, and then developed over a long period of time into an essentially separate genetic population?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Was it Sophocles or Chuck D that said:

White man, white woman..white baby
Black man, black woman...black baby
White man, black woman...black baby
Black man, white woman...black baby.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
All populations have some people with blue eyes and/or blond hair.

Okay, but the Ainu were unusual in Japan for the frequency among them of blue eyes. In fact, the Japanese (the later arrivals) called them "the blue-eyed ones."

I think the concept of races is just a few centuries old, with Europeans in the new world distinguishing themselves from African slaves.

People used to try to assign everyone to one of the twelve tribes of Israel.

Well, there's been much foolishness around the notion of 'race.'
But is it all foolishness?
Indeed, can't we find some of the range of the human through looking, with 'disinterested' eyes, at everything that presents itself?
And not prejudge the video?
Only receive it.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Right, but where did they come from? Are they part of the European migration out of Africa that got pushed Eastward by the subsequent "Asian" migration, isolated, and then developed over a long period of time into an essentially separate genetic population?

That's what seems likeliest to me. (they have such a 'cave man' look:biggrin1:, it must be so) Probably also possible their their appearance developed independantly.

Their language is not related to any other, I think the DNA and blood type had similarities to a few relict groups, widely dispersed and small. Within history, they covered a larger area, north farther than south, even on the mainland.

It's been suggested the extremely early skeletal remains found several years back on the Columbia river are also similar. (so maybe the Ainu discovered america:tongue:)

Mysteries are fun.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Okay, but the Ainu were unusual in Japan for the frequency among them of blue eyes. In fact, the Japanese (the later arrivals) called them "the blue-eyed ones."

Well, there's been much foolishness around the notion of 'race.'
But is it all foolishness?
Indeed, can't we find some of the range of the human through looking, with 'disinterested' eyes, at everything that presents itself?
And not prejudge the video?
Only receive it.

Well said, and I agree.

Something of everything is true, and all of nothing is true.

(no rubiayat, I know:rolleyes:)

Trying to help some people to see how extremely oversimplified some of their presumptions are.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Wow, you have a great ass and a nice cock. You must get aolt of play in Alaska, with the men to women ratio being in your favor. I thought you had dreadlocks in one picture. I love white guys with dreadlocks. (I mean I would if there were such a thing as races)[/quote

Thanks, sorry I didn't respond to this post before.
The M-F ratio here is within a percent or two now.
Don't have dreadlocks, I like how they look. (on someone of any race, if there were such a thing as race.)

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Well said, and I agree.
Something of everything is true, and all of nothing is true.
(No rubiayat, I know:rolleyes:.)

No, but you were privileging wisdom over beauty.

Trying to help some people to see how extremely oversimplified some of their presumptions are.

A good lesson, always.
Sometimes I think I try to convey that lesson, but others absorb it no better than I do myself.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
No, but you were privileging wisdom over beauty.

A good lesson, always.
Sometimes I think I try to convey that lesson, but others absorb it no better than I do myself.

Written communication would tend to give that impression.

More often moved by a poetic appreciation of beauty.

Wisdom is not as quickly percieved.

(entirely off topic, if anyone is wondering)

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
All men have secrets and here is mine
So let it be known
For we have been through hell and high tide
I think I can rely on you ...
And yet you start to recoil
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
But still I'd leap in front of a flying bullet for you

So, what difference does it make ?
It makes none
But now you have gone
And you must be looking very old tonight

The devil will find work for idle hands to do
I stole and I lied, and why ?
Because you asked me to !
But now you make me feel so ashamed
Because I've only got two hands
Well, I'm still fond of you, oh-ho-oh

Oh, what difference does it make ?
Oh, it makes none
But now you have gone
And your prejudice won't keep you warm tonight

Oh, the devil will find work for idle hands to do
I stole, and then I lied
Just because you asked me to
But now you know the truth about me
You won't see me anymore
Well, I'm still fond of you, oh-ho-oh

But no more apologies
No more, no more apologies
Oh, I'm too tired
I'm so sick and tired
And I'm feeling very sick and ill today
But I'm still fond of you, oh-ho-oh

I see you have no thoughts of your own on this topic at all.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Too strong.

yes you're right, of course. Sorry, Rubi, I didn't think I'd have to deal with someone capable of cogent thought in this thread or I would have formed my argument more carefully.

When I speak of small minded people I am thinking almost exclusively of those, like the OP, who feel there is some empirical basis for grouping everyone on the planet into three races as completely arbitrary as Caucasian, Asian, and African. because this fits in well with their preconceived notions of the world. who then go on to accuse any who point out the flaws in this logic of being too politically correct to understand the incredibly weak argument. who think that the races they choose to recognize have some special significance over and above those that others would choose to recognize for no other reason than because they say so. who can't realize that their own dumb arguments against the arguments of their detractors completely obliterate their own position that they are still clinging to. (by the OP's feeble logic, Africa and Asia are not races, they are continents. The Caucuses are not a race, they are mountains) THIS is small-minded thinking.

I DO think, Rubi, that a world without labels, or at least labels without the weight that we give them (this is what it is and always will be) is possible and preferable. or at least more possible than most would imagine.

Haven't been here in a while because I got bored but I thought this thread was worth bumping.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
When I speak of small minded people I am thinking almost exclusively of those, like the OP, ) THIS is small-minded thinking.

See, you can not stop yourself from provoking people. I shut you up on a different thread, and you start again. I feel sorry for you and for how smart you think you are.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
See, you can not stop yourself from provoking people. I shut you up on a different thread, and you start again. I feel sorry for you and for how smart you think you are.

I just thought this thread would serve as a good reminder of what a useless twat you are, and it also illustrates that though you are trying to play the victim here you are provoking just as much as you are allowing yourself to be provoked.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I just thought this thread would serve as a good reminder of what a useless twat you are, and it also illustrates that though you are trying to play the victim here you are provoking just as much as you are allowing yourself to be provoked.

No, you are the victim, apparently of a pouting accident.