How To Measure Waist Size When Choosing Underwear Size

dingdong

Cherished Member
Media
How are you supposed to accurately measure your waist size, so you know you are getting the right sized underwear (boxers)?:confused:

Do you measure around the hip bones, or around your belly-button? The internet says to measure around your belly-button, but that may just be for trousers, because people generally wear their underwear around their hips right? :confused:

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
try them on. measuring only works to give you an idea of your size. with any clothing you have to try something on to truly evaluate fit.

canuck_pa

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Traditionally you would measure at the hip bone which is where your waist is. But to me I would think you should measure where you plan to wear them. So if you wear them lower on your hip, measure there. Just remember some underwear has a longer drop (length from the waist of the underwear to the crotch) and could therefore sag.

Whatever you do, they should be comfortable however you wear them.

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought they were supposed to be the same pant size you wear. But I don't even own a pair of underwear, so what the hell do I know?!

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
How are you supposed to accurately measure your waist size, so you know you are getting the right sized underwear (boxers)?:confused:
Use the belly button as your mark. It's more critical to get the sizing right in briefs than boxers. As long as the boxers aren't too tight, you're good to go.

Being you're asking about boxers, here is a tip for you. Try FTL standard boxers made from the 55/45 blend fabric. They're inexpensive, lightweight, and feel better than any boxers that I've ever worn.

starter

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
doesn't it depend on whether or not the underwear is high or low rise, i have some underwear that sits on different parts of the waist so i say find the undies you want then measure depending on what the package says.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Do you measure around the hip bones, or around your belly-button? The internet says to measure around your belly-button, but that may just be for trousers, because people generally wear their underwear around their hips right? :confused:

You have to take more into consideration than just your waist size when purchasing underwear. As snoozan says you have to try them on.

Here is what I have found from my own experiences:

My waist is a 33". I wear 34" x 34" jeans and slacks.

I can not wear underwear that is sized for 34" waist. Jockey, for example, sizes their medium boxer brief as a 32-34" waist fit. And they fit my waist fine, but I also have big things and an ample ass (among other things). Those they do not fit so well.

My hips are about 42" and each quad (thigh) is about 24" cold. So, in the end, I have to wear the size large jockeys (sized for 36-38" waist) in order to have an overall fit for my waist, butt, thighs and package.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You need to try different sizes and different brands.

I am the same as Lex. I wear a larger size underwear than my pants. They are just too tight for some reason. And different brands have different sizes also, for example, one might have 30-32 and 34-36, but another brand has 32-34 and 36-38.