I just had Varicocele Surgery

westell1

Just Browsing
Media
Hey everyone. I just had the varicocele surgery today for my grade 3 varicocele. I was asleep the whole operation. After i was done, i did throw up a bit. Right now i have blood stains around my area. I also have a rectangular tape right above my penis area where i assume thats where they cut.

When am i suppose to take off the tape? Am i allowed to shower because i have blood stains that are drying out between my legs. It was on the left side the varicocele. I did not get a chance to talk to the surgeon afterwards b/c he left and i had to go home fast b/c i threw up and wanted to go home.

The doctors at beth israel hospital in NYC told me to call my urologist who did the surgery on me to schedule an appointment to see him. I also have painkillers i had to buy called Hydrocodone/Apap for the pain i have.

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

Account Disabled
Media
Do you know if you're stitched up under the tape? It might just be there to keep the incision clean while it's healing but definitely make a follow-up appointment about what to do about it!

I have to ask though, was your varicocele a health risk or did they just want to cut it out?

westell1

Just Browsing
Media
I had an injury to my penis back in February 2005. I have E.D and ton of problems. I found out 5 months ago that i also have a varicocele.

I wanted to cut my varicocele out b/c it felt like a bag of worms. Also, i have very high prolactin and low testeterone according to my blood tests. Its 412 only for testerone which is very low for my age. i am 23. My prolactin is 24.0 which is too high.

I did not ask if i am stitched up under the tape. My testicles have shrunk as well.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had an injury to my penis back in February 2005. I have E.D and ton of problems. I found out 5 months ago that i also have a varicocele.

I wanted to cut my varicocele out b/c it felt like a bag of worms. Also, i have very high prolactin and low testeterone according to my blood tests. Its 412 only for testerone which is very low for my age. i am 23. My prolactin is 24.0 which is too high.

I did not ask if i am stitched up under the tape. My testicles have shrunk as well.

Call the office of the surgeon first thing in the morning! Ask to speak to his nurse as he will most likely be unavailable. His nurse will be able to answer all of your questions.

I find it odd that they allowed you to go home after throwing up in recovery. :confused::mad: They should have at least given you some crackers and juice and made sure you were stable.

Take the Tylenol with codeine as directed, even if you are not currently feeling any pain. It normally takes 24-72 hours for anesthesia to completely wear off. Also you should have been given a printed copy of post op instructions before you left recovery.

eurotop40

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I had varicocele surgery back in 1978. They opened my abdomen and tied up three veins. Obviously the left testis shrunk and the bag of worms disappeared very quickly. I also threw up a few hours after the surgery. Anyway, things have gotten much much better after that and I was able to father three healthy and beautiful children.

westell1

Just Browsing
Media
I was in the recovery room for about 1 hour. I did not just leave like that. I wanted to just leave but i kept felt like i was going to throw up and I did. eurotop, did u have any erectile dysfunction at the time? What about low testerone? I am feeling a lot of pain right now. The scar is permanent correct? I have tape over this cut which was where they cut me open. I felt fast asleep at the surgery room.

njQ, i had this operation done at Beth Israel Hospital. Live in NYC by the way. The people who helped out my surgeon works at the hospital. My surgeron/urologist has his own office. Who should i call then?

Last edited:

eurotop40

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was in the recovery room for about 1 hour. I did not just leave like that. I wanted to just leave but i kept felt like i was going to throw up and I did. eurotop, did u have any erectile dysfunction at the time? What about low testerone? I am feeling a lot of pain right now. The scar is permanent correct? I have tape over this cut which was where they cut me open. I felt fast asleep at the surgery room.

njQ, i had this operation done at Beth Israel Hospital. Live in NYC by the way. The people who helped out my surgeon works at the hospital. My surgeron/urologist has his own office. Who should i call then?

I did not have erectile dysfunction at the time. No idea of testosterone level at the time. At some point after the operation I had a bit of inflammation of the veins in the left testis. I was in a panic and called the surgeon who reassured me. The inflammation was soon gone. Other than that I am happy that I got the operation. As for what concerns your ED I would keep getting informed because there are a lot of absolutely incompetent urologists out there.

westell1

Just Browsing
Media
they called me early in the morning today. They told me i can do shower but not a bath. I will see my urologist in 2 weeks. There is only one strip i have over my incision. It does not look like it will off unless i rip it off which is what the urologist/surgeon will do for me in 2 weeks. Thats what the person on the phone told me at the hospital that i had my surgery done yesterday.

Is this normal right now that i cannot walk straight. The pain is in my left side and i cannot walk straight because of the pain. However, when i sit on a chair the pain is not that bad. I cannot really walk straight at all right now. Is this normal? I am hunching back my whole body now because of it.

Last edited:

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
You should probably contact your doc if something doesn't seem right, but from one who's had epididymitis, it was some of the worst mf pain I've ever experienced. Take the Hydrocodone, that's what it's for. :smile:

tito25

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Is this normal right now that i cannot walk straight. The pain is in my left side and i cannot walk straight because of the pain. However, when i sit on a chair the pain is not that bad. I cannot really walk straight at all right now. Is this normal? I am hunching back my whole body now because of it.[westell/QUOTE]

Westell; I had this surgery in Dec 07 to relieve a "cow nut", as the dr. called it. The pain when standing is from the muscle that they cut in order to locate the vein that was causing the problems. Give it a week or so, try not to sit all the time, you will need to stretch that muscle as it heals. Oddly enough I wasn't able to sit, but that was due to the extreme size of my testicle. 1 in 5 males have a varicocele blockage and don't even know it. I still have the feeling sometimes; sharp pains every once in a while. And my testicle is still slightly larger than the other; including the spagetti bag as it is called. Just manage your pain with the meds the Dr. prescribed, ibuprofen or tylenol.

eurotop40

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If I remember well (it was about 30 years ago) I had also a pain in my abdomen for a while. Nothing to worry about, really nothing. Six weeks after surgery I was on the alpine slopes skiing like mad.

westell1

Just Browsing
Media
I feel the most comfortable sitting on a chair while using the computer. I dont feel much pain at all. When standing up it hurts. When lying on the bed, i still have pain. What should be the position i should i stay in the next few days? Also, the pain killer doesn't seem to have any affect on me.

dadboned39

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
had my surgery back a few years, at first being in hospital didnt seem bad til had got up few days later and ride home though my wife was driving over rocks in the road, I lounged around and as long as laying down wasnt too bed but climbing stairs was bad though my nut was going to fall out an step on them, finally after 4 weeks was able to go back to work, but surgery has left me with a big sided testicle on that side, still very tender yet 10 yrs later

talldarknathletic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hey everyone. I just had the varicocele surgery today for my grade 3 varicocele. I was asleep the whole operation. After i was done, i did throw up a bit. Right now i have blood stains around my area. I also have a rectangular tape right above my penis area where i assume thats where they cut.

When am i suppose to take off the tape? Am i allowed to shower because i have blood stains that are drying out between my legs. It was on the left side the varicocele. I did not get a chance to talk to the surgeon afterwards b/c he left and i had to go home fast b/c i threw up and wanted to go home.

The doctors at beth israel hospital in NYC told me to call my urologist who did the surgery on me to schedule an appointment to see him. I also have painkillers i had to buy called Hydrocodone/Apap for the pain i have.

Damn man, this sounds horrible. I am curious, did your urologist or whatever main physician give you choices other than the scalpel for your vericocele?? My urologist was too anxious to get a knife on me which made me start to become skeptical. Was this a money thing, I don't know BUT I do know that when I opted for an embolization, he was nowhere to be found and I was surrounded by neurologists and radiologists.

Back in May I had my left testicle varicocele taken care of and did a ton of research before signing up for anything. I chose the embolization procedure and have not had any problems (besides a sore neck). Beyond fearing the knife in that region, I didn't want to open up that area of my body for fear of infection...

That being said, call your nurse! Someone already mentioned this and I hope things are on the up & up (pun intended). Also, make sure to document ALL your calls (time, date, people you spoke with). I am going through a small billing nightmare at the moment...

God Speed!

Keep us up to date

westell1

Just Browsing
Media
We did not speak on the method. I just knew it was surgery and was pretty sure it was going to be regular surgery and not the embolization procedure.

B_Hamadim

Experimental Member
Media
Don't worry that much westell, Just relax and take a break from anything.

After a month or two, you will be capable of having a strong and normal Erections.

dadboned39

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
yes doctor and I discussed the exploytory surgery method as had continual pain in that teste for like 2 yrs and felt like someone was grasping sack and clamping it shut with hand,It was a relief after had healed thou, other than being more senstive no more problems