Ignorance of European Threads...

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Imagine, my shock and horror when the southern yahoo, tourist sitting next to me in a restaurant kept telling me not to drink the water. It was 93 degrees outside and I was thirsty. :mad: I finally told the man that I had heard him the first time and his wife and children seemed embarassed and turned away. I then turned back to my waiter and apologized for the interruption. By the by, we were not in Mexico the country; but in the Mexico Pavillion at EPCOT!

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think in terms of the orig. post people need to calm down and take a step back. This is ONE, count 'em, ONE website on the vast galaxy that is the internet. To lump Americans all together based on who responds to what thread on this one site is weird. In other words because only like 3 people responded to my Biggest Loser thread should that lead me to believe that no once cares about it? No I thot it just meant that either folks missed the thread or agreed and decided not to post. Esp when most folks from my first BL thread didn't respond to my second BL thread.
Don't take it personally.

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
. . . . we were not in Mexico the country; but in the Mexico Pavillion at EPCOT!

Hmmm. My man and I found the publicly available water (from water fountains, spigots, etc.) much less than tasty in Orlando a couple of years ago. And in Miami, too, come to think of it. We had to buy bottled water to get a clear liquid that tasted like water.

Maybe it should be "When you go to Florida, don't drink the water!" :eek::rolleyes::biggrin1:

NCbear (who likes Florida, but most of the state--like most of NC and other southern states--"just to visit" :tongue:)

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
I read, and I respond where I deem appropriate. Any time there's a loss of many lives it affects me, whether I put anything in writing about it here or not.

I have always, since the media became available to me, followed what goes on in the rest of the world. While it's true that many Americans don't, it's true that many of us do. I don't see it as optional, but others might, and it's their prerogative.

What I find noteworthy is that so many people from other countries pay such close attention to what goes on here. We're not that big a deal.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You would not believe the PM'S I've received about what I have posted. I am very sorry for any offense. My intent was to say that if you start a thread you need to give a platform for discussion rather than just post a news story that most likely everyone has already read. I have been around the block and around the world many times and I have the greatest respect for individual differences. One of the most difficult decisions in my life was becoming a US citizen. I think many Americans take it for granted. I want to express my gratitude to the US for allowing me to be a citizen....meanwhile I respect everyone I have met in my travels who has earned my respect.
Don't send demeaning PM's or I will post them!

Last edited:

Jason, I sincerely apologize. I made an assumption. I assumed your comment was also your opinion.

No problem! Glad we got that worked out.:smile:

One of the most difficult decisions in my life was becoming a US citizen. I think many Americans take it for granted. I want to express my gratitude to the US for allowing me to be a citizen....meanwhile I respect everyone I have met in my travels who has earned my respect.

I can't imagine what it's like to expatriate but am interested why you chose to become American. I know the country of your birth wasn't impoverished, run by dictators, or some banana republic by any means, so what inspired the choice? Do you ever regret it or are you considered a dual citizen? How do you see the US as an once outsider now an insider?

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Jason-

I agree with your post entirely, but I'll add that such thinking needn't be in any hinterlands. You just described 85% of the people who were born and still live in Weymouth, MA, twelve miles south of Boston, where I grew up.

I was in a nine-year relationship (1995-2004) with a guy who grew up about three miles away from where I did (me met as adults: I was 35, he was 32). I left Weymouth the day after my last day of HS, he stayed put until his late 20s only to move to Orleans, MA on Cape Cod. His friends were all connected in one way or another to Weymouth.

When we first met, it felt to me like slipping into an old pair of comfortable shoes, but for him, his friends and family I was as exotic as an orchid. The culture clash was huge and was never entirely resolved: they respected me but, seriously, probably understood only about every fourth word that came out of my mouth. Forget about even attempting to relate some of my life's stories. They just never understood anything about me, and tolerated me just barely due to his feelings for me.

Here in Ft Lauderdale, it's 1/3 San Francisco, 1/3 Flint, MI and 1/3 Macon, GA. If it weren't for the weather, I'd have moved on long ago.

Good point Uncle B and what I was going to mention in the second part of my bull. I'll get to it tomorrow. Blech!

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Bbucko, I can relate to what you wrote. After doing HS in Fla. and graduating from U of Fla, I moved back to Canada. Since then I've had 3 "careers" returned to the the first one, traveled all over and lived in 3 other countries.

I've had a couple of get togethers with the old gang. But all there is to talk about is old times. They see each other regularly, but from what I gather, they are still doing and talking about the the same old same old. Mind you, they are intelligent people, successful in their careers. But, for me, they haven't grown. They ask me about my life and what I am doing. But when I start to speak, their eyes glaze over and I think, "they really don't want to hear this". They find it hard to fathom why I would ever choose to live anywhere but in the USA. Canada was bad enough much less Italy, but the Middle-East? With Muslims? Allahallah, I must be crazy. Or from another planet. One couple came to visit in Italy and didn't like it. Things just weren't the same as "back home". My sex life is another thing I can't talk about with them. Anything other than one man, one women, as ye shall both shall be able to stand the sight of each other, is just perverted.

Having an adventurous life is scary for most people for some reason. Some react defensively to hearing first-hand experiences outside of their own. It's OK if it's on the Discovery Channel. But if it is a friend's life, they don't want to talk about it. It may be arrogant on my part, but I think there is some jealousy involved.

One fellow told me that I had changed too much and he thought I had an elitist attitude. Well fuck me, I try to tone it down, but sorry, it's not my fault your still busting tires in the shop you inherited from your dad. I'm going back to my vineyard in Amalfi and fuck my Austrian girlfriend. :tongue:

D_Cock_Hudson

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
News reporting little of what happens outside the country seems to have been a US feature for a long time. It's happening more often in the UK, especially as news broadcasts carry fewer stories and have more time where the newsreader talks to a reporter on camera, often about speculation and tittle-tattle.

I deign to have many Colonial friends. :tongue: Even Yankees, so long as they know how to behave.

So do I, dude! It's marvellous the way those wippersnappers have come into their own since independence. :p

They're doing so well, the Queen may not have to re-impose sovereignty any time soon! :smile:

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
Wow, was busy for a day and see this thread again, and I'm not suprised to hear again that age does matter in threads like this ( said by njqt466: We certainly do not need some, still wet behind the ears, child, from across the ocean). In the end that is the most lame excuse to use when a post make sense. Especially when that post isn't is in your favor, very lame and full of bullshit.

And yes this is a Large penis Support Group, but the threads that are about serious matter in Europe (not only my thread) are posted in the 'etcetc'-forum, so that can involve about non-penis-related-issues. And especially that you are saying that njqt466, you don't have a dick or you always post articles that are also ridiculous. So you better shut up.

Also notice that it are always the same people that bash here around in the etcetc-forum. Always. When it doesn't go like they want, BOOM, let's attack.

The funny thing is, I mention that a lot of US-citizens are ignorant about issues that goes on in the world, then you guys become mad, but you guys also say that you ignore things from outside because you are busy with the things that goes on in your country. Well isn't that exactly what I'm saying here. You admit that you ignore things from outside.

But I still stay foot with my opinion, of course things going on in your own country. Here too, we don't have a proper ministery for almost three years now, but do we focus on that the whole time, NO.
Just stay open and respect other threads too. When you agree with it, you can answer too.

Now bye bye

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
The funny thing is, I mention that a lot of US-citizens are ignorant about issues that goes on in the world, then you guys become mad, but you guys also say that you ignore things from outside because you are busy with the things that goes on in your country. Well isn't that exactly what I'm saying here. You admit that you ignore things from outside.

But I still stay foot with my opinion, of course things going on in your own country. Here too, we don't have a proper ministery for almost three years now, but do we focus on that the whole time, NO.
Just stay open and respect other threads too. When you agree with it, you can answer too.Now bye bye

There are a lot of ignorant people in Europe - a lot, my, friend. I lived there and dealt it with on a daily basis. So, please don't be running your mouth about how ignorant Americans are. You're only angering people more and more with your self-righteous, "progressive" Dutch mentality.

It won't surprise if we now hear that Canadian rednecks are less ignorant than American rednecks.

I lived in Australia for two years and can you tell you that there are a lot of ignorant people Down Unda.

There is a tendancy to forget so quickly that despite our cultural difference, people are still people -- and are they ever!

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There are a lot of ignorant people in Europe - a lot, my, friend. I lived there and dealt it with on a daily basis. So, please don't be running your mouth about how ignorant Americans are. You're only angering people more and more with your self-righteous, "progressive" Dutch mentality.

It won't surprise if we now hear that Canadian rednecks are less ignorant than American rednecks.

I lived in Australia for two years and can you tell you that there are a lot of ignorant people Down Unda.

There is a tendancy to forget so quickly that despite our cultural difference, people are still people -- and are they ever!

that was a good post. In the long runit's you live where you live...stuff haappens everyday around the world. Is Pieter caring about injustice in Somalia or any other country.
You have to care firstabout what happens lose to home because that's the only thing you can change...Unless you're Jerry Lewis..lol...
We're all only people at the end of the day and you can only 'take' so much news from around the world till your head busts open.