Marijuana

Do you smoke marijuana or any of its derivatives?

• Yes, frequently (weekly or more often)

Votes: 38 24.8%
  • Yes, occasionally (less than weekly)

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • I used to, but stopped

Votes: 37 24.2%
  • I don't, and never have

Votes: 38 24.8%
  • I'm high right now

Votes: 13 8.5%

• Total voters

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
If a person is happy, healthy, engaged socially, and feeling generally balanced and productive, he or she is unlikely to be using drugs.

Personally, Male Bonding, I wouldn't say this is true of social use of pot.
Of course, I'm not talking about day in and day out, morning to night consumption ... just a delight in taking a few drags on a spliff once or twice a week, or even less often.
Lots of happy, healthy, engaged people use like that and show no harm that I can see.
But this is just pot I'm talking about.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Personally, Male Bonding, I wouldn't say this is true of social use of pot.
Of course, I'm not talking about day in and day out, morning to night consumption ... just a delight in taking a few drags on a spliff once or twice a week, or even less often.
Lots of happy, healthy, engaged people use like that and show no harm that I can see.

I agree with this.

Getting tipsy and uninhibitedd is fun, no matter how fulfilled you are.

Getting a little stone at a party and giggling and having the munchies (food does taste better) is something a very happy person would do.

Even the occasional use of hallucinogens and is something I could see very happy people doing.

And come on, I'd venture to say most perfectly happy people abuse caffeine.

We spend millions of dollars a year to have "experiences," whether it's a trip to Africa or jumping out of a plane to alter our reality. I put occasional drug use into the same category.

Mind you, I'm not talking about habitual use here. The definitions of habitual vs. occasional use are still up for discussion.

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I wouldn't say this is true of social use of pot.

I agree with this.

Getting tipsy and uninhibitedd is fun, no matter how fulfilled you are.

Getting a little stone at a party and giggling and having the munchies (food does taste better) is something a very happy person would do.

Even the occasional use of hallucinogens and is something I could see very happy people doing.

And come on, I'd venture to say most perfectly happy people abuse caffeine.

We spend millions of dollars a year to have "experiences," whether it's a trip to Africa or jumping out of a plane to alter our reality. I put occasional drug use into the same category.

Mind you, I'm not talking about habitual use here. The definitions of habitual vs. occasional use are still up for discussion.
Okay, so, Rubi brings us back to weed, but stipulates that it is only a little and only once in a while. I do not doubt that there are a FEW people who can manage to keep their use contained to so little, but isn't that because they recognize it impacts their judgement and capabilities? What I've seen is that people have to work hard to keep their use low, otherwise they slip into abuse or at least use levels that interfere with their capacity to make thoughtful decisions.

Snooze makes interesting points about experiential journeys that may be long distance or wholly internal. Still, I guess the word that most piqued my interest here was "inhibited." Some of us find it even more gratifying to be uninhibited without depending on some artificial (or "natural" herb) substance to get that way. Once again she stipulates that this is the occasional usage, not the habitual thing.

Still, my question remains. How many people truly can maintain their usage to "responsible" levels? Of course there are a few, but are there not also the ones who clearly use too much? Are there not the ones who MIGHT be using too much? Don't those of you who use, wonder once in a while if you've stepped over some line or done something really stupid and life threatening that you know you wouldn't have done sober/straight/clean? Do you never question the wisdom of decisions you've made "under the influence" of some intoxicant? Is the need to experience variety so strong, and the list of available "clean" experiences so short that one must "use" to enjoy the richness of life's possibilities?

Perhaps my experiences have been too limited, but the people I know who are obvious users seem to be disconnected in some major ways from what is going on in the world around them. Perhaps that condition existed before they started using, but it seems like part of the disconnect can be blamed on the drugs.

Yes, caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol are legal, and some people maintain we are doing fine with people clearly addicted or at least overusing them. Maybe, but I think we've got a lot of people struggling more than necessary, and these substances are probably more a part of the problem than they are a part of the solution. Talk about gateway drugs! We try to balance the things speeding us up with the things that slow us down... no wonder so many do graduate to stronger and stronger substances!

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Okay, so, Rubi brings us back to weed, but stipulates that it is only a little and only once in a while. I do not doubt that there are a FEW people who can manage to keep their use contained to so little, but isn't that because they recognize it impacts their judgement and capabilities?

Well, Male Bonding, in my crowd, they're not few at all.
I mean mostly professionals who had a degree of discipline and reality-orientation that carried them through the long tracks leading to their professional launching.
Let's accept the OP's figures that say 16.8 per cent of Canadians between the ages of 15 and 64 smoke marijuana. Would there be 20 million Canadians in that slice? I'm guessing. Let's say there are. That would mean 3.36 million smokers, and I'm sure a relatively small proportion, mostly younger people, are having serious problems.
You say the peeps who are obvious users "seem to be disconnected in some major ways from what is going on in the world around them." But isn't that precisely why they're "obvious"?
Among my friends, I would say there are no obvious users. But pass a joint around at a party and two-thirds, I'll wager, will take a drag. And all through next week, they'll likely have none.
I'm not saying there are no risks to smoking marijuana. I am saying that the risks are easily handled by many, perhaps most, people ... at least among those I know.
Among a younger crowd, the story might be different.

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think there are people who can't constantly smoke weed without it becoming all they want to do and forgetting about what is really important. For me I can stay high 24/7 and still be able to function fine and do what I need to. I do have the occasional slip of the memory but I have always had a good memory. In fact I have a better memory than many of the people I know that don't use anything. The only things that slip my memory are things that aren't that important anyway. I have never had any kind of bad experience with weed except for cops searching me for it because they can smell that I have just been smoking. Anyway weed has never got me locked up either. Overall the worst thing weed has done for me is make me spend a little money. Being high is like being sober for me now. I am so used to it that it just feels normal. If anything weed has helped me. I have bad nerves that make my hands shake but if I'm high I can keep my hands as steady as anybody else.

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Well, I tend to see long series of consequences for our actions. Doesn't mean that I can't be tolerant, creative, funny, uninhibited. Nonetheless, I like to think we can be thoughtful about the actions we take so that we live consciously, responsibly and happily. If your use of various drugs doesn't negatively impact our world, I'm perfectly happy to leave you to your intoxicants and hallucinogens.

When we no longer have people dying on the roads because of DUI, children and spouses being abused because of drug abuse, bright minds languishing or burning out because of it, I'll be able to be even more tolerant.

bluekarma

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Guess I'm a little late on this, but....I voted "Used to but quit". I used to be a big ol' pot head :biggrin1:. I decided to stop because it was no longer getting me high, it was part of my daily routine and that's not cool. I can't even smoke now, sadly. I'd like to catch a nice mind numbing buz, but can't...it just makes me mega paranoid and sleepy now. Anyway, in my days of smoking I did it all. Bongs, blunts, joints, bubblers, bowls. BC bud is good...but I have to say my favorite was Northern Lights Blueberry...some killa shit right there. Fuzzy and crystalized like hell. I remember two hits from our Jermoe Baker bong and you'd be paralyzed for hours. Then you'd eat everything in sight for like two days. I got so fat when I was a pot head, haha. So anyway, those were the good old days. I don't miss it that much though. I'm a lot sharper now, memory is much better, in much better phsyical shape. It'll take me a while to restimulate all those brain cells I killed...probably won't be able to. But there is nothing quite like vegging out, wasting an entire weekend smoking an ounce of weed, watching movies, playing video games and eating munchie food till your sick. I wouldn't take it back...all part of growing up :biggrin1: