Minimum Wage

TheBeast

Just Browsing
Media
This is a classic example of the "I barely make enough to get by" bs instead of people living to their means.
You're 21 what the heck do you know about the world!:mad: ? I was living in New Jersey when I was earning that salary. You live in podunk where that kind of salary would have you living high off the hog.
People give doctors crap for making as much money as they do, but guess what, many just " barely eke by". Those people that make millions of dollars per year, also just barely eke by as well. Hmm, fuck you and the pink pony you rode in on. The fact of the matter is, when people make more money the money the spend increases (often at a greater percentage than what they make). That's true but not for me.
Point is, maybe if your making 38 bucks an hour and hauling in 70 grand per year and having problems getting buy you should evaulate how your spending money. Oh yeah, I'm gonna take financial advice from a kid half my age. :biggrin1: ROTFLMAO :biggrin1: Not that it's the business of a wet behind the ears, snot nosed kid; but I live very frugally. I clip coupons, go to garage sales, and flea markets; and I paid cash for my last car which was pre-owned. I could have purchased a new car and financed it but I didn't want to incur unneccessary debt. Also, my car insurance would have been astronomical. Yes, I took that into consideration. In addition, and I must admit I am quite proud of this, I have no credit card debt. That's right, $0 do I owe to any credit card company. :smile: Not many Americans in my age bracket (40+) can say that.

You and JeffBlack conveniently skipped over this part: Not bad until you calculate in rent @ $11,300 a year, $2800 a year for car insurance, and over $100,000.00 in student loans. :redface:
Unlike many on this site my parents did not pay for my college education. They demanded that I go to college; yet made no financial arrangements to that end. I have no choice but to live frugally. :mad: On the off chance Social Security is still around when I am 67 and I am able to collect what I have paid into the system over the years I will still have 4 more years of student loans to pay off after I retire.

Am I bitter? Yes and no. I still hold some resentment towards my parents for literally not saving a dime for my college education; but I am ever so glad I perservered and obtained advanced degrees so that I could earn that salary.

Granted you might be living in a location such as a big city where inflation is much greater than the rest of the country. :) Pay attention kiddo, the NJ, in njqt466 stands for New Jersey. NJ is the most expensive state, in the union, in which to live. If it makes your feel better i'm sure theres hundreds and hundreds of millions of people in this world that would love to have your living wage! I know for fact there are, I am not unintelligent.

Um, Ok, Just because i'm 21 doesn't mean I'm financially inept. Obviously one would tend to think you would be if you still have 100k worth of student loans yet you have been out of school for 20 years.

Just because I live in Indiana doesn't mean I live in a "podunk". Kinda rude isn't it? Thats like me saying because you live in New Jersey you live in a shit whole ghetto. But this "snot nosed kid" chose not to be rude. Another thing, Guess what: NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO LIVE IN NEW JERSEY. If you can't afford to live there, how about you use your degree and move elsewhere.

Congratulations on the no credit care debt.

Hundreds of thousands of students every year go to college without having their parents pay or even force them too. Just be thankful your parents pushed you to go to college. After all your parents could have been cracked out and abusive turning you into a crack whore. :tongue: I hope you do fine some inner peace in the fact that many of us "snot nosed" kids are paying for our own college and at even higher costs than when you attended school.

TheBeast

Just Browsing
Media
Oh, forgot to add: Do you honestly think I have the time to go through and read everyones name to try and figure out what it means?

socoken

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This is a classic example of the "I barely make enough to get by" bs instead of people living to their means.
You're 21 what the heck do you know about the world!:mad: ? I was living in New Jersey when I was earning that salary. You live in podunk where that kind of salary would have you living high off the hog.
People give doctors crap for making as much money as they do, but guess what, many just " barely eke by". Those people that make millions of dollars per year, also just barely eke by as well. Hmm, fuck you and the pink pony you rode in on. The fact of the matter is, when people make more money the money the spend increases (often at a greater percentage than what they make). That's true but not for me.
Point is, maybe if your making 38 bucks an hour and hauling in 70 grand per year and having problems getting buy you should evaulate how your spending money. Oh yeah, I'm gonna take financial advice from a kid half my age. :biggrin1: ROTFLMAO :biggrin1: Not that it's the business of a wet behind the ears, snot nosed kid; but I live very frugally. I clip coupons, go to garage sales, and flea markets; and I paid cash for my last car which was pre-owned. I could have purchased a new car and financed it but I didn't want to incur unneccessary debt. Also, my car insurance would have been astronomical. Yes, I took that into consideration. In addition, and I must admit I am quite proud of this, I have no credit card debt. That's right, $0 do I owe to any credit card company. :smile: Not many Americans in my age bracket (40+) can say that.

You and JeffBlack conveniently skipped over this part: Not bad until you calculate in rent @ $11,300 a year, $2800 a year for car insurance, and over $100,000.00 in student loans. :redface:
Unlike many on this site my parents did not pay for my college education. They demanded that I go to college; yet made no financial arrangements to that end. I have no choice but to live frugally. :mad: On the off chance Social Security is still around when I am 67 and I am able to collect what I have paid into the system over the years I will still have 4 more years of student loans to pay off after I retire.

Am I bitter? Yes and no. I still hold some resentment towards my parents for literally not saving a dime for my college education; but I am ever so glad I perservered and obtained advanced degrees so that I could earn that salary.

Granted you might be living in a location such as a big city where inflation is much greater than the rest of the country. :) Pay attention kiddo, the NJ, in njqt466 stands for New Jersey. NJ is the most expensive state, in the union, in which to live. If it makes your feel better i'm sure theres hundreds and hundreds of millions of people in this world that would love to have your living wage! I know for fact there are, I am not unintelligent.

http://www.nps.gov/nr/twhp/wwwlps/lessons/102paterson/102paterson.htm

That post just earned you a spot on my ignore list.

MuscleBound

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
On your topic - I own a relatively large employment staffing firm in the "poorest" state in the US. The vast majority of our business is industrial, warehousing, assembly, clerical, and service-sector jobs. The lowest starting rate is $7.50 currently.

Mississippi, like most states, does not have a minimum wage that is higher than the federal minimum. The minimum wage is intended to assist the completely unskilled from being taken advantage of in the employment market, not to create a standard starting wage rate.

btw, Beast, I think New Jersey is a beautiful state, but we all make sacrifices when we choose a place to live. Obviously you know this is true or you wouldn't have acheived zero credit card debt. I lived is Los Angelos for several years. It was an awesome place - especially for a young, single man in a professional position. But it took every dime of my very large salary (for the time) to afford it. I just couldn't see doing that for the rest of my life.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
An easy and glib statement for you to make. The eastern seaboard is a very expensive place to live, especially in the New York or Washington, DC area. More on that in a moment...
People give doctors crap for making as much money as they do, but guess what, many just " barely eke by". Those people that make millions of dollars per year, also just barely eke by as well.

The fact of the matter is, when people make more money the money the spend increases (often at a greater percentage than what they make).

Point is, maybe if your making 38 bucks an hour and hauling in 70 grand per year and having problems getting buy you should evaulate how your spending money.
$70 grand is NOT the huge salary you may think it is...

Just because I live in Indiana doesn't mean I live in a "podunk". Kinda rude isn't it? Thats like me saying because you live in New Jersey you live in a shit whole ghetto. But this "snot nosed kid" chose not to be rude. Another thing, Guess what: NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO LIVE IN NEW JERSEY. If you can't afford to live there, how about you use your degree and move elsewhere.
My partner has a Ph. D. in chemistry, and his work experience is very specialized. There just simply is NOT work for him in Peterlick, Oklahoma. He has to get a job where the jobs exist. So that landed us in the Washington DC area. We were living in a small, old, bug-infested 1100 square foot apartment in the suburbs for 3 years, and paying $1400 per month in rent. It was the best available that we could afford. When we couldn't stand it any longer, we looked for a house to buy. To avoid contractual problems, we went "month-to-month" in our apartment, rather than renew the lease. When we went month-to-month, they upped the rent to $1700 per month. It took us almost 4 months to find a townhouse, 20 miles from work, slightly larger than our apartment, and our mortgage payment is just under $4000 per month. We don't "live beyond our means," it's just fucking expensive to live here. An old (1950s) 1300 square foot single family house near the public transportation is selling for about $850,000 right now. We couldn't do that.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of wages do you THINK someone would have to make, to pay $45,600 per year just in mortgage payments?

Some groups are better off than others.
Shelby, again, I'm going to ask, why are you doing this? You are starting to tread the line of trolling. I cannot imagine any other reason you would post this (and your previous "controversial link") other than to stir up discontent. What is it with you and posting the gay links lately?

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Don't work for the sweatshops or slave-shops. An average worker, no matter what kind of job you do, should get paid at least $16 per hour.

Go start a business, hire average workers and pay them $16.00 per hour. Good luck finding a good banruptcy attourney.:redface:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hahaha I totally don't think the New Jersey Has the highest cost of living in the US... it HAS TO Be either LA, NYC, Bay Area or Hawaii.
But you are aware that NYC actually "spills over" into parts of New Jersey?

And no, in general, NJ probably doesn't have the highest cost of living, but it's most likely higher than most of Indiana, right?

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm payed on salary. I was just curious if there are many people actually earning a minimum wage (in the USA). My gut feeling is that most people earn more than the minimum.

Young teens make mimimum. If you are 18 and make minimum wage you are not too smart to begin with. Minimum here is about $8.00.

Illegal Mexicans get $8 to $10 cash at least.

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No arguement. I'm not stating that minimum wage is a living wage and as you know, a living wage varies from place to place. Politicians like to tell you that they raised the minimum wage. My thought is "big fucking deal, most people already earn above the federal minimum wage."

Exactly, but raising the minimum wage too high will eliminate marginal jobs like for teens or people that are trying to start a job history.

D_N Flay Table

Experimental Member
Media
But you are aware that NYC actually "spills over" into parts of New Jersey?

And no, in general, NJ probably doesn't have the highest cost of living, but it's most likely higher than most of Indiana, right?

the cost of living drops sharply from NYC to Jersey.
and yeah, I used to live in Indiana, my rent was 340 a month for a 1bed apartment with a private lake.
I made around 800 dollars a month, and lived quite well.
but, that was about 10 years ago.
I cannot comment on it now.

let me get some info...
the hunt is on :p

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Unlike many on this site my parents did not pay for my college education. They demanded that I go to college; yet made no financial arrangements to that end. I have no choice but to live frugally. :mad: .

It sounds like you are doing the right things, but get over your parents not being prepared for you to go to college. You need to consider it could be worse. Your parents may want you to fund their retirement. :rolleyes:
To save up a $100K when you went to college would have been a huge task (you are 40yo?) My dad told me to get a scholarship. I did and along with work, I ended up with $3800.00 in student loans. Did you work during school?

BTW, $11000 in rent or mortgage is not that nice of house here in BFE.

. :mad: On the off chance Social Security is still around when I am 67 and I am able to collect what I have paid into the system over the years I will still have 4 more years of student loans to pay off after I retire.

My mom paid $51.00 in to Social security and when my dad retired when I was 38 he had paid in less than me. I will be lucky to see any of it as well.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There's some interesting figures there. Some of them are a little misleading, but interesting, nonetheless. Although I live in Northern Virginia, the figures for Virginia state as a whole do not represent where I live, and are probably closer to the Richmond cost of living.

It's also interesting that DC (which would include parts of VA and MD) is 48th, CA is 49th, and HI is 50th. But when you compare the numbers, I don't really see any figures for mean or median income. The cost of groceries is a bit higher in CA than in DC, but the cost of housing and utilities is considerably higher in DC. Transportation is about the same.

D_N Flay Table

Experimental Member
Media
There's some interesting figures there. Some of them are a little misleading, but interesting, nonetheless. Although I live in Northern Virginia, the figures for Virginia state as a whole do not represent where I live, and are probably closer to the Richmond cost of living.

It's also interesting that DC (which would include parts of VA and MD) is 48th, CA is 49th, and HI is 50th. But when you compare the numbers, I don't really see any figures for mean or median income. The cost of groceries is a bit higher in CA than in DC, but the cost of housing and utilities is considerably higher in DC. Transportation is about the same.

I am not pretending to be a pro at economics, however, I can tell you two things I know to be sure.

CA, HI, and NY are the most expensive places to live in the US.. how do I know?
I have lived in 2 of the three...

Food is more expensive in HI than ANYWHERE I have seen, and I have been A LOT of places.

axe somebody :)

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
An easy and glib statement for you to make. The eastern seaboard is a very expensive place to live, especially in the New York or Washington, DC area. More on that in a moment...$70 grand is NOT the huge salary you may think it is...

My partner has a Ph. D. in chemistry, and his work experience is very specialized. There just simply is NOT work for him in Peterlick, Oklahoma. He has to get a job where the jobs exist. So that landed us in the Washington DC area. We were living in a small, old, bug-infested 1100 square foot apartment in the suburbs for 3 years, and paying $1400 per month in rent. It was the best available that we could afford. When we couldn't stand it any longer, we looked for a house to buy. To avoid contractual problems, we went "month-to-month" in our apartment, rather than renew the lease. When we went month-to-month, they upped the rent to $1700 per month. It took us almost 4 months to find a townhouse, 20 miles from work, slightly larger than our apartment, and our mortgage payment is just under $4000 per month. We don't "live beyond our means," it's just fucking expensive to live here. An old (1950s) 1300 square foot single family house near the public transportation is selling for about $850,000 right now. We couldn't do that.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of wages do you THINK someone would have to make, to pay $45,600 per year just in mortgage payments?

Shelby, again, I'm going to ask, why are you doing this? You are starting to tread the line of trolling. I cannot imagine any other reason you would post this (and your previous "controversial link") other than to stir up discontent. What is it with you and posting the gay links lately?

DC, that is a large nut every month. Obviously he makes great money. I know good or great money is relative terms but even here in nebraska, good money is $100K a year and $250K is great money.

You can buy a house here in certain parts of the city for $20K, but you will not like the gun play. My house is a traditional 2 story colonial with a brick front and two car garage with a nice lot worth about $275K.

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was making a little more than minimum wage a little less than two years ago. I was a member of this site at that time. I worked at the GAP. I was actually the highest paid non-managerial employee in my branch...which was funny to me since I was only getting $8.25/hr. Now I'm a designer and I make almost double that and double the hours.

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Haha, I googled "BFE" thinking it was your city's airport code or something. I found out what it really stands for though.:biggrin1:

Sorry it was not chat speak, but I thought most people called it that - how about "podunk"? Actually our city is about 400K and 1 million metro.