MJ... enough already.

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Is it just me or is MJ's death and memorial service now blown out of proportion into some sort of freak show?

Is it time for people to say, enough already?

They are now televising his children grief... to me, that's kinda sick.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Is it just me or was MJ's life blown out of proportion into some sort of freak show?

Is it time for people to say, enough already?
It was time to say enough quite a while ago. Perhaps, he'd still be alive.

Last edited:

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If his life hadn't been turned into such a freakshow by the media and the general population, I'm sure that he would be living right now. I'm also completely aware that he led a very strange lifestyle and just about turned it into a freakshow himself, but seriously, being constantly harrased by cameras and fans does not help one bit. Just take a look at Britney Spears.

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
If his life hadn't been turned into such a freakshow by the media and the general population, I'm sure that he would be living right now. I'm also completely aware that he led a very strange lifestyle and just about turned it into a freakshow himself, but seriously, being constantly harrased by cameras and fans does not help one bit. Just take a look at Britney Spears.

Would that not imply that the obvious solution to the stress of the public eye is not to be in it?

He could have written or produced music, staying in the industry but not in the midst of the public gaze.

Ultimately he did choose to remain in the public view (quite spectacularly at times) and consequently, although not rightly, under public scrutiny.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I really think that the public memorial for Michael Jackson was therapeutic for the family and for the fans. Funerals have weird dynamics so I respect Rugbypup's feelings on the matter.

I watched it and I really was moved by the entire thing.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
If his life hadn't been turned into such a freakshow by the media and the general population, I'm sure that he would be living right now. I'm also completely aware that he led a very strange lifestyle and just about turned it into a freakshow himself, but seriously, being constantly harassed by cameras and fans does not help one bit. Just take a look at Britney Spears.

I agree.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Would that not imply that the obvious solution to the stress of the public eye is not to be in it?

He could have written or produced music, staying in the industry but not in the midst of the public gaze.

Ultimately he did choose to remain in the public view (quite spectacularly at times) and consequently, although not rightly, under public scrutiny.

You forget that the media is a business though. The media that made him the talk of the town made money off his misery as well as his success.

When you get too successful, then that makes you a target to be hated as well as admired.

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Yes the tabloid media are ravenous for anything to report but that doesn't change the fact, many other rich and famous people have successfully lived outside the main public gaze. Truth is, MJ's idiosyncrasies and peculiar private life invited much of the controversy that swamped him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JWqzBegFDM&feature=related

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Is that not a private moment for the children who've lost their father? Is that something that should be televised for millions of voyeuristic people to revel in?

Well, I think that grieving is good. There have been plenty of public figures who have passed on and who have had their children filmed at their funerals. President Kennedy. Princess Diana.

And even Steve Irwin. His own daughter gave a wonderful speech about retaining her late father's passion at the Australia Zoo.

I don't think that it is voyeuristic.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yes the tabloid media are ravenous for anything to report but that doesn't change the fact, many other rich and famous people have successfully lived outside the main public gaze. Truth is, MJ's idiosyncrasies and peculiar private life invited much of the controversy that swamped him.

YouTube - Michael JACKSON through ages

Yeah, I am sure that there are rich and famous people but if you are a celeb and/or a politician--you aren't living totally outside the public gaze. There are private rich and famous...those who have traditionally made money in commerce. But I think that they are in a different form of scrutinization...a scrutinization from their peers and their competition.

I didn't really care about the cosmetic evolutions of Michael Jackson. And if Michael Jackson wanted to change--it was his money.
Look at how many men these days get tans, tattoos, and body piercings. There are men that even get Botox injections.

Last edited:
S

superbot

Thank god I only saw the highlights on the news,the entire thing was a 'monument to bad taste' the like of which I've never seen! I agree,thrusting a microphone into his daughters hand and watching her blub like that was profoundly creepy.What did occur to me was where were all these people, delivering these OTT eulogies when MJ needed them most over the last 20 years? They all came out of the woodwork when it was too late, but how many of them really were his friends?!!....

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Thank god I only saw the highlights on the news,the entire thing was a 'monument to bad taste' the like of which I've never seen! I agree,thrusting a microphone into his daughters hand and watching her blub like that was profoundly creepy.What did occur to me was where were all these people, delivering these OTT eulogies when MJ needed them most over the last 20 years? They all came out of the woodwork when it was too late, but how many of them really were his friends?!!....

<sarcasm>Oh, those evil bastards.:eek: They should made you the Jackson family advisor and MJ funeral director.:rolleyes:</sarcasm>

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Lets just put him in a Hyperbaric chamber and blast him off the back of one of our rockets. I think MJ deserves a Spock fare the well...he can float about outer space for all of eternity. Until some aliens find him and try to figure out which fucking planet he resided.

It was actually more tasteful than lurid. I found many of the people genuinely heartfelt and the musical interludes and montages were very nice. It certainly comforted the family a great deal and that's really most important. Just because the Jacksons are a walking sideshow doesn't mean they don't love each other.

Paris wanted to speak publicly and as his child, that's her right.

I don't know the ratio of real friends to exploiters. His family though, were really sad. It's nice to know at least some of them loved him a great deal. Everybody needs someone to love them.

Funerals are for the living, not the dead. They give closure, closing one era, starting another. It's clear to me many people were emotionally upset by his death and a televised funeral was the best way to help these people share their grief. People attach themselves to celebrities in odd ways and many believed they truly knew him or credit his music with being a positive presence in their lives. I think it's fair for them to be sad. We should have so many mourners at our funerals.

Never begrudge a man mourners.