My dog has a tumor.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
You poor thing SS.
But what has to be put first in these situations is the dogs welfare rather than our emotions and our desires.
I may come across as callous and cold but I have seen too many people keep dying, suffering animals alive out of their selfish inability to let them go.
I hope you do the right thing by your friend..he deserves it.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
I'm sorry to hear that. We put my first dog down when he got bone cancer AGAIN (we had his leg amputated to try and save him, and it seemed to have worked at first, but it came back). I don't get why where the tumor is located is an issue.. I mean even if the chance of it working is like 1%, that is still higher than not doing it. :\ I understand if you don't want to though, it is tough to have to deal with all that.

Anyway, best of luck to you.

I think with it being so near his spine, they'd be risking permanent paralysis. Better to let him live two months on his feet than two years in traction.

HamYai

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Do him, you and us a favour.

Have him put down and send him to the heavenly field of slow rabbits.

He'd be so happy and you would be free.

Go on.....

......do it.

Hi SS,

I have been through this before. It does suck, however, my dog recovered quickly after surgery and went through chemotherapy. I was exceptionally concerned that he would suffer through all this yet he was bouncing around three days after the surgery and the chemo treatments didn't take anything out of him at all. He actually loved going to the hospital, couldn't wait to get out of the car and in the door because they were so nice to him. Despite my reservations, my dog was no different, seemed to be in no pain, and he did have an entire extra year of life full of running, playing fetch, and being himself. When he relapsed we were told we'd know when the time would come because he would be in visible pain and wouldn't eat. He managed about three months after the relapse, again, with no visible problem at all. Then, one day, he seemed a bit stiff and had no energy, the next day he stopped eating, and that's when we called the vet. In the end, every penny I spent was worth it and when I looked at him that last day, I knew, I don't know how, I just knew that it was time for him to move on. He had a good fight and he had such a great time in that extra year, that I don't regret anything.

The first thing I suggest is seeing a canine oncologist at the nearest animal medical center. A second opinion is always a good idea with such a dire diagnosis. If you get the same response, and you may well not, give the homeopathic medicines a try. It's worth the shot.

After that, follow your conscience. I suggest ignoring what everyone else says about euthanasia now, later, or never. That decision, and any opinions on it, are the province of you, your dog's vet, and the dog. Always do what you think is best so that such a major decision doesn't haunt you the rest of your life.

I now have two great dogs whom I love very much. Celebrate the quality of life you have now.

WifeOfBath

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm so sorry to hear this. Good luck, and enjoy the last few months with your dog as much as you can. Spoil him rotten. Take extra care of yourself, too-- you're losing a family member.

We're gonna let him live out his last days. We've long since stopped putting animals down and let them live out their entire lives rather than executing them when things get inevitably bad.

I just had to put down my mom's dog a couple months ago. She had congestive heart failure, and though I wanted to keep her going for as long as possible and let her go naturally, but she was obviously suffering. Good luck, and I hope your dog goes as painlessly as possible when his time comes.

Damn, 20 years is really long for most dogs.

My family had a dog that was 20 years old or more. She was also a poodle. That's a remarkably long life span for a dog.

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Our "Rambo" having diabetis as well as developing both internal and external tumors was put to rest back in November. The most obvious one was on his rear knee joint and even though it didn't bother his movement, one night as he jumped out of the car, it erupted. He came on in the house with us and I noticed blood on the floor. His diabetic condition would sometime make his nose bleed and I assumed it was from that. However on closer observation, we saw the open wound on his leg and the ligaments inside. We bandaged it up and decided to call the vet the next morning - assuming he was in no pain. I went outside and there on the pavement by the car door was what looked like a chicken breast - the tumor.

(Sorry to make this so long) but the next morning I took him to the vet and they told me because of his age, going blind because of the diabetis, and several internal tumors you could feel through his skin, that it was best to put him down, which we did.

I feel your pain and want you to know that yours in probably playing with "Rambo" and "Missie" now across the Ranbow Bridge.

"Missie" was the last of the stray dogs we lovingly adopted and she was attacked last month by a pit bull and had to be put to sleep. Both were cremated and ashes/remains are now together in a little casket-like box on top of the TV. Sadly missed, but memories of all the love they gave, remain. I've decided no more pets.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, perhaps a second opinion may be needed. The natural remedies also look promising. I hope the best for you and for your friend.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
OK, I'm a big bitch around here and even I wouldn't be so cruel as to make some of the mean-spirited comments in this thread. The man's best friend is terminally ill. I know I'd be a basket case if my cat were terminally ill. He's 15 and hopefully he'll live another 5-10 years in good health. However, I know that he may not because at 15 he is already a senior citizen.

I can be a big bitch but I do think before posting. Really, does it have to be that mean around here?

Last edited:

JC8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Simcha: I appreciate you didn't direct your post at anyone in particular, however, the industry arising around pet health-care nauseates me far more than animal suffering.

Hence my egalitarian remark. I'd want the mercy of swift death bestowed upon me, were I in similar circumstance to aforesaid animal.

Shoot it.

Simcha: I appreciate you didn't direct your post at anyone in particular, however, the industry arising around pet health-care nauseates me far more than animal suffering.

Close to the crassest remark I've yet read on these forums. Your lack of empathy borders on the sociopathic.

Should you ever get cancer then fortunately you can choose to jump out of a window rather than be nauseated by the human health care industry we know as medicine. Veterinary medicine is no different. There may be a questionable people and practices, but the vast majority of people in the field are underpaid and yet work tirelessly with good humor to help their animal patients. Animal medicine isn't as advanced as human medicine but it is because of new developments and technologies that veterinarians are making gains in all areas of animal health care. How many human doctors could practice if they knew they might well have to kill their own patient at the end of treatment?

An industry nauseates you more than suffering. Shocking. Just plain shocking someone could have suck fucked-up priorities.

JC8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Close to the crassest remark I've yet read on these forums. Your lack of empathy borders on the sociopathic.

Should you ever get cancer then fortunately you can choose to jump out of a window rather than be nauseated by the human health care industry we know as medicine. Veterinary medicine is no different. There may be a questionable people and practices, but the vast majority of people in the field are underpaid and yet work tirelessly with good humor to help their animal patients. Animal medicine isn't as advanced as human medicine but it is because of new developments and technologies that veterinarians are making gains in all areas of animal health care. How many human doctors could practice if they knew they might well have to kill their own patient at the end of treatment?

An industry nauseates you more than suffering. Shocking. Just plain shocking someone could have suck fucked-up priorities.

It's still just a dog. And when my liver/kidney fails, I'll let you load the .45, and pull the trigger, if you wish.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am sooo sorry to hear this. You have not been having a good year at all dude. :frown: I don't know what to say other than try and keep him comfortable and spend as much time as you can with him. :cool:

quote=StapledShut;1582084]We just found out that it's malignant and inoperable. Or rather, it's too close to his spine for any of the veterinary surgeons to feel comfortable trying to remove the whole thing without risking his safety. Chemo would only be able to shrink it a small amount. With medication, they said he's got about 2 months left.[/quote]

It's still just a dog. And when my liver/kidney fails, I'll let you load the .45, and pull the trigger, if you wish.

Why wait for a special occasion? :BoomSmilie_anim:

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
sorry, buddy. Life is cruel. Strange thing about pets, you know you will outlive them, so love them while you can, and pay attention to them while you can, so your regrets will be less when they pass.