National COLD wave

Don't coddle people. :biggrin1:

aw, go ahead! you know you want to!:wink:

as someone who only feels really comfortable at fifty-five degrees Fahrenheit and below, and who's been living in central Texas for a few years now, I find it a really nice change ...
wish it were like this year-round ...
 
It's F'g cold here. :mad: The Atlanta metro area got from .5" to 2" Thursdat night into Friday morning. Unfortunately this was followd by sleet, and then more sub-freezing weather. By Friday morning rush hour there were dozens of accidents. :frown1: Apparently Atlantans don't know that you can't drive at normal speeds on ice. :eek: :rolleyes: Actually unless you have a Zamboni or tire chains, you can't drive on ice at all.:tongue:

Our electric was off from about 8:50 AM until 9:42 AM. For reasons I have yet to determine, this part of Georgis is entirely electric. :mad::confused: So when the power goes off, we have no heat. It was 24F this morning! The house cooled off phenomenally fast. :irked: I lit a fire which helped, but it just kills me that the local electric company isn't equipped or prepared to deal with this kind of cold. Thursday morning, the electric flicked off and on five times between 7 AM & 8 AM. :mad:

I'm wearing my grey yoga pants, a black and grey thin striped, long sleeve t-shirt, and a royal blue and black fleece jacket.
For sleeping I am in love with my pink bunny, footie pj's.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
It's been nice here in San Diego. The daytime temps are warm (70s); it's cool at night. I ride my bike back and forth to work. It's about 47 when I take off in the morning and about 58 when I head home. That's milder than usual for this time of year. 2 years ago it was in the high 30s every morning for 2 weeks. That shit sucks on a bike! I grew up in NJ, so I know what real cold is. I'm thankful to live here and never take it for granted.
 
I grew up in NJ, so I know what real cold is. I'm thankful to live here and never take it for granted.
It's very nice to hear someone say that. Bless You...
:smile:
If *I* ever manage to get out of NJ and hopefully settle in SoCal, I too will be mindful to always be thankful.
 
It's very nice to hear someone say that. Bless You...
:smile:
If *I* ever manage to get out of NJ and hopefully settle in SoCal, I too will be mindful to always be thankful.
I hope that things will fall in place for you where you can check out the west. Southern California has its pluses and minuses like any place, yet it works for me. I don't like it too cold; I don't like it too hot. If I spend the rest of my days here, I'll be a happy camper!
 
Not only is it cold in North America, but Europe is getting hit pretty hard with snow and cold temps., too.
 
I hope that things will fall in place for you where you can check out the west. Southern California has its pluses and minuses like any place, yet it works for me. I don't like it too cold; I don't like it too hot. If I spend the rest of my days here, I'll be a happy camper!
Thank You.
I've visited there numerous times. The only minus I've seen is that it's earthquake territory. Aside from that, I already know it's where I wanna be. :wink:
 
Thank You.
I've visited there numerous times. The only minus I've seen is that it's earthquake territory. Aside from that, I already know it's where I wanna be. :wink:
Right on. In 21 years, I've experienced a few minor tremors, but nothing serious. SD is not real close to the major fault lines like L.A. and San Francisco.

Next time you're out this way, look me up if you have time. I make some pretty decent Italian food and like to have dinner parties.
 
Not only is it cold in North America, but Europe is getting hit pretty hard with snow and cold temps., too.

I just heard that on the news. How far below average are you? We may set a new record for cold tonight in Dallas for this date. Are you in record breaking territory or just more cold than usual?
 
65° at the minute. They say it will be 31° before morning. this morning, I headed to work it was 43°. Strangely, I thought I was about to freeze to death. I have lived in areas where 43° is not considered cold. I guess, one adapts to one's environment and the expectations of that environment. Florida, is supposed to be sunny and warm. In addition to that the perception is that it is beautiful. Believe me, there are some parts of Florida that are not beautiful weather warm or sunny or not.
 
Thing is, nowhere in my town can you buy wellies, if you can they have put an extra tenner on them.

Anti-freeze window spray is nowhere to be found and all the garden shops and DIY have sold out of spades.

No Salt anywhere and people are bulk buying bread and milk and for some reason petrol.
 
People stock up on gas, bread, and milk in case there is a loss of power. Living in hurricane alley, you do these things. After hurricane Ike, it was a week before you could get most of those items. You need to keep a reasonable amount of cash on hand too. If the power goes out, stores that are open go to cash only transactions. I've lived it 3 times in the last 5 years. booooo no more
Tardis, come rub my feet. They hurt. You know how you like to play this little piggie on my toes.
 
It's 35 F degrees right now in south Florida, the windchill is 27. :frown1::mad: