Overcoming gym shower fear

Chrisdude71

Worshipped Member
Media
At secondary school in England in the 80's you showered naked with all the boys in your year but that was after outdoor games if you got dirty or wet so it was a few times every term. There was not enough showers for one each so you went with a few of your friends and all crowded around one shower head to try to shower, you were shoulder to shoulder squashed together so no hiding anything but at 11 or 12 we had nothing much going on down below. By the 3rd year of secondary school, in my group, I was the only one who had hit puberty so I felt a little self conscious but by the following year the others had caught up. No-one mentioned anyone else's naked body but I'm sure we all sneaked a look at each other; after showering we all had to get back to the changing room naked as we weren't allowed to take towels with us in the shower. This continued until we were 18 so we were all men at the end.

GreenEyedSpecs

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
To my recollection I don't think I've ever showered with other guys before. Despite having showers installed I believe they were olny used by external users. Also I am not part of sporting teams or gyms.

But this year I hope to change that, I certainly have of living and experiencing of life to do.

One school had them but they were either locked and inaccessible not to mention filthy (seriously?), or used mainly by the school sports teams. Senior year, I chose to leave Phys Ed early every day head to the locker room and shower. I was 1 of maybe 2 students who did.

I was relatively comfortable with myself after the first week or two.

I had a class where the teacher kept the heat on in the middle of summer, and I was stuck sitting right next to it, I got fed up with dripping sweat and then heading to a room at about 80 degrees for the next hour.

Some kids acted disgusted by the fact of seeing other guys naked (I am a slim build, not overweight), but I showered with one of the sports teams occasionally. I'll keep those stories to myself. People were unusually homophobic though.

Gym showers are usually a casual way of getting clean. Everybody is there for one reason: to shower. By going in there with underwear or more, you are drawing attention to yourself. Yeah, a few guys including me got erect in a private gym on rare occasion, but it was never a big deal. You just keep showering and it will calm back down. Take some deep breaths and enjoy the warm water.

Relax.

AdamFin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
At secondary school in England in the 80's you showered naked with all the boys in your year but that was after outdoor games if you got dirty or wet so it was a few times every term. There was not enough showers for one each so you went with a few of your friends and all crowded around one shower head to try to shower, you were shoulder to shoulder squashed together so no hiding anything but at 11 or 12 we had nothing much going on down below. By the 3rd year of secondary school, in my group, I was the only one who had hit puberty so I felt a little self conscious but by the following year the others had caught up. No-one mentioned anyone else's naked body but I'm sure we all sneaked a look at each other; after showering we all had to get back to the changing room naked as we weren't allowed to take towels with us in the shower. This continued until we were 18 so we were all men at the end.
How did it go?

AdamFin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Anybody overcoming gym shower anxiety? A guy who started at gym in January finally took it all off this morning and used the showers. Made me think of this thread.

persiandude

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
When I was entering middle school, they had sent out some sort of warning or announcement that kids would be required to shower after PE class. The only thing that got me was the "announcement", basically stating that in order to pass you would need to do this. It got me thinking when I otherwise wouldn't have had they not made a big deal about it. When I actually got the class, all fears sort of went away.

And I guess this was a time of transition for public schools, because 2 years later, as I was entering high school, they had just changed the rules so that you didn't have to shower, you only had to "change out", which basically meant you had to go to the locker room and put on your PE uniform and then after class you had to take that off and put your regular clothes back on. I remember a few guys still decided to shower but most did not.

Once I got my adult body, I really didn't care who saw me naked. I still don't. But for the reasons I might be proud to take off my clothes, I can see why others might be shy--if you feel flawed or that people will judge your body rather than admire it, I guess it would be a self conscious thing. But as adults, aren't we past that sort of teasing?

CallofDanny

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
For many men today getting naked in the locker room was just not part of our expected life experience. So the very concept of getting naked in a locker room is now confronted by guys going to the gym in their twenties, thirties or older. I did not get naked in a locker room for the first time until I was past twenty. It was a decision I made, and now the gym shower and steam is a daily part of life.

This thread is aimed at adult men who want to just be able to shower with the guys but have hang ups. If you don't want to shower in a locker room, that's great and you need not explain yourself here.

Reasons for locker room gynophobia may include:

1. Simple puritanical aversion to getting naked in front of others. (Disgust or true fear)

2. Heterosexual guy worried of spontaneous erection. Or gay guy worried about getting aroused. (dick brain)

3. Body shame. My dick is tiny. I am fat. Etc. (Shame)

4. I don't know how to behave or what to do. (Anxiety)

5. I am gay and don't think I belong in a locker room. (Sexual identity)

6. I am not gay but think being naked in front of other men is gay and/or I worry a gay guy will see me. (Sexual identity)

7. I think I might be gay and I can't handle what I might learn about myself in there. (Sexual identity)

What was/is your fear and story of how you parted with your underwear in the locker room? Are you grappling with these challenges still? Have questions?
For me it was mostly 3 but 2 also. I know I'm well above average but I'm a grower with huge balls. I am also chubby and I shower when I camp on multi-day hikes. I have showered with men that barely had a penis and others that were immensely larger than mine. I'm a very confident guy but the size difference embarassed me this one time but he was a friendly hiker and actually spoke with me as we showered. My body was my biggest hurdle

Reactions: SuperGrower

AdamFin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
After years of good example we graduated a guy to showerer. This guy used the locker room for years. He'd change from workout to street clothes, changing underwear after putting on a long overhanging shirt, and as fast as can. He never took a shower. This had been a years long thing for him. Over time he developed relationships (superficial chatty ones) with guys who took the same classes he took.

Yesterday in a crowded locker room as he was talking to one of his gym mates he got naked very uncomfortably (put a towel around himself to head to the showers which is not common) proceeded to the open showers, showered with his mate. Returned to his locker towel clad. Put on his long shirt, dropped towel and pulled on underwear in a millisecond.

A huge step for this guy.

hot showers

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
After years of good example we graduated a guy to showerer. This guy used the locker room for years. He'd change from workout to street clothes, changing underwear after putting on a long overhanging shirt, and as fast as can. He never took a shower. This had been a years long thing for him. Over time he developed relationships (superficial chatty ones) with guys who took the same classes he took.

Yesterday in a crowded locker room as he was talking to one of his gym mates he got naked very uncomfortably (put a towel around himself to head to the showers which is not common) proceeded to the open showers, showered with his mate. Returned to his locker towel clad. Put on his long shirt, dropped towel and pulled on underwear in a millisecond.

A huge step for this guy.
Cool to hear that he made a step forward, but I can never figure out why even some guys that will use the open shower, still do the towel dance. I figure everyone sees my dick when I'm in the shower, anyway, so it would be kind of silly to cover it up on the way back and forth or while dressing.

AdamFin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Yes, it is irrational. Some guys think they have a duty to cover when they can. I think they think it's exhibitionist to not cover when covering is possible. I'm with you though. I strip and walk to showers naked. Then shower. Towel off and typically put towel around waist to shave. After I shave I take off my towel to dry my face, walk naked two steps to the evil scale. Then walk naked towel in hand ten steps to my locker...

Reactions: RL_Praha

nokia88

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I work out since a year now early in the morning, so i have to shower before heading to work. The gym has a small lockerroom with only 2 showers. I'm a gay guy and get turned on very easy, it gets worse after a work out. I've noticed that i'm more relaxed in a gay spa open shower than in the gym... probably the idea that gays will make less fuss about seeing an erection? I don't know...

Iron_man_69

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
wow I didn't even realize anxiety on getting nude was a thing...I've got 4 brothers and grew up seeing others nude. I go to nude beaches and get nude in locker rooms without even thinking about it. I've been in open showers with 20+ nude guys and no one seemed worried about at all. No towel dancing in site.

Reactions: SuperGrower

Around that time last year, I would get an awkward semi every time I was showering in the common showers.
Now I go naked from my locker to the shower with ease. Exposure helped a lot, but it needs time.

dude77007

Legendary Member
Media
We have it all at my gym. Men showering nude, in swim trunks , towel dancers. We have a gang shower and three stalls with curtains. Some might be modest for religious reasons and some might be just plain modest. But, don't assume that a modest guy might not be hung. I have copped a peek at some modest towel dancers and ones that don't take off their underwear until they pull the curtain on the individual showers and some had absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. Yes, some trophies ! There is a Black guy hanging about eight inches soft that hides his dick like someone might steal it. That said, they recently put a new sign in the whirlpool area that states that "bathing suits must be worn in the whirlpool". Everybody ignored, it except the modest guys. It makes no sense because the steam room has no sign and most everyone sits there naked on a towel. Go figure.

AdamFin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I work out since a year now early in the morning, so i have to shower before heading to work. The gym has a small lockerroom with only 2 showers. I'm a gay guy and get turned on very easy, it gets worse after a work out. I've noticed that i'm more relaxed in a gay spa open shower than in the gym... probably the idea that gays will make less fuss about seeing an erection? I don't know...

What have you done to manage your response? Typically working out to exhaustion helps reduce erections...

Reactions: RL_Praha

AnerosO

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I was homeschooled, so never had the chance to get used to locker rooms. Finally, because I felt that it was about time I got over myself, I started swimming. I've been rock climbing for a few years now, but yo can get away with not changing / showering. Just time it to go straight home. When you go to community pools, you have to get dressed in a locker room, and shower before & after. But I wanted to put myself in a position where I was forced to change in a public room. Took me a while, but was Finally able to put on my bathing suit (with a shirt on) in front of some guys. They were complete strangers, which helped. Although it felt a bit awkward, I felt kinda good about it and confident that I was able to do that. Being attracted to men, I have to admit, I was slightly aroused... but not enough to be totally hard, fortunately was pretty much completely soft still. Next step is being fully nude / showering without my suit. It's probably gonna take a good month for me to get used to that. I seriously dread seeing someone I know. But I'm determined to get over this fear / body image issue I have.

AdamFin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I was homeschooled, so never had the chance to get used to locker rooms. Finally, because I felt that it was about time I got over myself, I started swimming. I've been rock climbing for a few years now, but yo can get away with not changing / showering. Just time it to go straight home. When you go to community pools, you have to get dressed in a locker room, and shower before & after. But I wanted to put myself in a position where I was forced to change in a public room. Took me a while, but was Finally able to put on my bathing suit (with a shirt on) in front of some guys. They were complete strangers, which helped. Although it felt a bit awkward, I felt kinda good about it and confident that I was able to do that. Being attracted to men, I have to admit, I was slightly aroused... but not enough to be totally hard, fortunately was pretty much completely soft still. Next step is being fully nude / showering without my suit. It's probably gonna take a good month for me to get used to that. I seriously dread seeing someone I know. But I'm determined to get over this fear / body image issue I have.

It is definitely accomplishable. Well in your way.

Max_Polo

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Why is this such a big deal?

I think some guys (and women) get so wrapped up in physical appearance and comparison with others that they are uncomfortable with their own bodies.