Partyin' With Rush

Inwood: I realize that the use of insightful was incorrect in my post. I should have said that if you engaged in a moment of self-reflection you would realize that your description of Clinton as a "Slimey asshole" beggers your declaration that you would have had more respect for Clinton in that situation or probably any situation.

hypocrisy--a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not.

I never said I would respect Bush more if he did "something." I wasn't feigning anything when I said I don't like him and I don't trust him.

And back to Iraq. I don't distrust Bush because of the war against Saddam. I was for the war to oust Saddam. What I find objectional was the constant changing of reasons why we were going to war. He should have just stuck with Saddam's a bad man. We should have gotten rid of him the first time. We will get rid of him this time. Period. End of story.

I wouldn't have respect Bush more for that. It just would have been a truthful reason to do what we did.

gigantikok: Give us actually proof that Bush EVER contridicted a reason why we went to war.  You have no proof.  Maybe Bush continually threw out more and more reasons as to why we had to go to war, but I don't ever recall him having to contridict something he said earlier.  I could be wrong, but before you make the assumption you are right, PROVE IT TO ME.  I don't like Clinton because he lied to me and there is no disputing that.  I don't dislike Clinton because he was slightly left, if anything he was pretty close to the middle of the political spectrum.  I chose to dislike and distrust him because his actions led me to that.  Nothing he can do now will change my opinion of him because what he did is done and can't be taken back.  NOTHING Bush has done has given me ANY reason to distrust or dislike him, regardless of where I fall on the political spectrum.  I don't think he has lied, I think he has presented a lot of good reasons why we had to go to war.  It's a complicated situation, you are never going to just get one solid, straight answer.  And even if there was one, you would still find a way to dislike or distrust Bush.  That is my point.

Oh, and don't give me this "Webster's Dictonary" B.S.  The meaning of Hypocrisy is to seemingly contridict yourself.  You accused me of never being able to gain respect for Clinton no matter what he does, and you are right.  He betrayed my trust on MANY occassions, and nothing he ever does will change that.  You are, however, guilty of the same thing in regards to Bush.  Nothing he EVER does will cause you to like or trust him.  Thus, you are a hypocrit for accusing me of something that you are guilty of too.  No spinning around the situation, no wordy crafting or well placed B.S, you have no way of arguing against that.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Um, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm still waiting on these WMDs to show up, mate.  Reality check:  not there.  Bush said they're there; his cronies said they're there; we fought this war 'cause, supposedly because they were there and they were a threat.  And not that I think Sadaam was the greatest, most diplomatic leader in the world and that he seriously engaged in political moves to hurt his own people...

...but really... all this circumstantial evidence suggesting that he and the al-Qaeda and all those fools collaborated to get us.  That's a bunch of nonsense.  I feel bad for everyone who had to suffer from 9-11, but it makes no sense for our country to go after someone we think had responsibility for those actions when our "intelligence" obviously can't come up with better proof.

So, Bush contradicted himself and his Cabinet in alleging that there were sufficient grounds to go to war, and further investigations couldn't come up with those grounds. He lied to the people, man.

Gigantikok, I think it's a sad case that you're not more fully aware of the damage Bush has done to this country.  I can't say if it's flat out ignorance, foolishness, naiveté, or a sad sad ideology at stake here, but I don't recall any Clinton fan clinging onto idealized visions of what that president has done and means to his country.  Clinton got some head; really, we've accepted that and moved on.  It's about time you realized that Bush is on his way out of the Oval Office (hopefully) and that Republicans have to own up to his mistakes.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=DeeBlackthorne link=board=99;num=1067045112;start=20#22 date=10/28/03 at 19:46:26]Um, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm still waiting on these WMDs to show up, mate.  Reality check:  not there.  Bush said they're there; his cronies said they're there; we fought this war 'cause, supposedly because they were there and they were a threat.[/quote]

Dee and I agree on something. How do you like those apples? Suspicion that there might be some illegal weapons is not a valid reason to invade and occupy a country. "We toppled an unjust régime" Okay; that's not we're there. "We liberated an oppressed people" Fine; that's still not why we're there ... and the Kurds are just as oppressed as they were under Sunni rule. Anything we've done there so far is not a justification for being there in the first place. If there are no WMDs ... and that seems to be the case ... we cannot acomplish the objective that justifies the invasion in the first place.

Inwood: [quote author=gigantikok link=board=99;num=1067045112;start=20#21 date=10/28/03 at 19:16:44]Give us actually proof that Bush EVER contridicted a reason why we went to war.  You have no proof.  Maybe Bush continually threw out more and more reasons as to why we had to go to war, but I don't ever recall him having to contridict something he said earlier.  I could be wrong, but before you make the assumption you are right, PROVE IT TO ME.  I don't like Clinton because he lied to me and there is no disputing that.  I don't dislike Clinton because he was slightly left, if anything he was pretty close to the middle of the political spectrum.  I chose to dislike and distrust him because his actions led me to that.  Nothing he can do now will change my opinion of him because what he did is done and can't be taken back.  NOTHING Bush has done has given me ANY reason to distrust or dislike him, regardless of where I fall on the political spectrum.  I don't think he has lied, I think he has presented a lot of good reasons why we had to go to war.  It's a complicated situation, you are never going to just get one solid, straight answer.  And even if there was one, you would still find a way to dislike or distrust Bush.  That is my point.

Oh, and don't give me this "Webster's Dictonary" B.S.  The meaning of Hypocrisy is to seemingly contridict yourself.  You accused me of never being able to gain respect for Clinton no matter what he does, and you are right.  He betrayed my trust on MANY occassions,  and nothing he ever does will change that.  You are, however, guilty of the same thing in regards to Bush.  Nothing he EVER does will cause you to like or trust him.  Thus, you are a hypocrit for accusing me of something that you are guilty of too.  No spinning around the situation, no wordy crafting or well placed B.S, you have no way of arguing against that.[/quote]

Thanks. From your vivid use of invectives I wasn't sure if you'd ever notice "wordy crafting."

Obviously you do need to see definitions. And you obviously need to take time to read posts. To argue your point successfully you need to make sure the words you use accurately state your case. Otherwise you open yourself to counterattack, which weakens your case, and ridicule which completely undermines your ability to convince people of your case. Contradict and hypocrisy are not the same. No stamping of your feet, no cursing, no charge of left wing conspiracy will change that. If you used that definition on an english test you would fail that question.

You used the word hypocrisy to describe me. I have never used it to describe you. I put the definition in my post so there would be no possibility of misunderstanding my response to your accusation.

When I was using your term "slimey asshole" it was to point out that someone who read that would have a hard time reconciling those words with you being able to respect someone who you used those terms against. Pointing that out is not hypocrisy. (However to clarify one thing, from your post it seems your inability to respect Clinton occurred after it was shown he lied under oath. So I take it that before that time you did respect him?)

I don't care if you hate Clinton or call him bad names or kiss his ass. You are not guilty of anything in that regard. In this country political leaders know they're open game for that sort of thing. Keeps them on their toes.

As to my distrust of the current Administration, well, there are many things that cause me to distrust them. Their obsessive secrecy, their full tilt to the rich at the expense of the rest of the country, their running up ruinousness deficits after such a hard slog to get them to a managable size, and many others. It's this accumulation of things that causes me great unease.

PS In case anybody tries to use it. Bush did not use the word imminent. He used a lot of language that implied a sense of urgency about the need to go to war but he did not use the word imminent.

PSS I applaud (whether you care or not) your willingness to allow the possibility that Bush could have contradict himself in regard to his statements concerning going to war with Iraq. It shows an open mind that seems to have been lacking in some of your other posts.

gigantikok: [quote author=DeeBlackthorne link=board=99;num=1067045112;start=20#22 date=10/28/03 at 19:46:26]Um, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm still waiting on these WMDs to show up, mate.  Reality check:  not there.  Bush said they're there; his cronies said they're there; we fought this war 'cause, supposedly because they were there and they were a threat.  And not that I think Sadaam was the greatest, most diplomatic leader in the world and that he seriously engaged in political moves to hurt his own people...[/quote]
Did you not read my post in the other topic???
[quote author=gigantikok link=board=99;num=1066747449;start=20#35 date=10/26/03 at 17:24:05]It was not the UN inspectors job to find weapons, it was Sadam's job to destroy them, under the supervision of the UN inspectors so that the weapons that the U.S., Britain, AND THE UN all acknowledge existed were destroyed. Since all agreed that the weapons existed, without Sadam's cooperation it could not be proved that they did not still exist and could be used. Without conclusive evidence of their disposition, combined with the fact that HE HAD USED WMD ON OTHER COUNTRIES AND HIS OWN PEOPLE, yes, invasion and destruction of his regime became the only option.

Where are the weapons now? The recent Kay Report confirmed that he had an active, ongoing program of WMD, including nuclear weapons. A great deal of evidence has been found to confirm this and was included in the Kay Report. Unfortunately, no major stock of these weapons has been found. Since we know he had them and Sadam gave no evidence of having destroyed them, what happened?

There are two possibilities: (1) he destroyed them but didn't want to admit it. This action is consistent with Arab culture in the sense that a ruler cannot admit weakness (voluntary destruction of weapons), but would like to have the threat of their use to ward off enemies. But I think he believed we would not actually invade so why would he destroy them? (2) he had them hidden and their whereabouts are still unknown. After the first Gulf War, Sadam signed a agreement to suspend hostilities in which he agreed to destroy WMD, which, by the way kind of confirms he had them or else why would he admit he had them!?! (the 12 point agreement contained promises to restore human rights and reform government to be more democratic!). How long did he have to do all this - 2 WEEKS!! According to you 12 additional years were not long enough to prove HE WAS NOT GOING TO COMPLY UNTIL HELL FROZE OVER WITH THE TERMS HE SIGNED IN 1991.

I frankly can't believe that the WMD were destroyed. If they were it is because communication from Sadam to the weapons storage facilities was knocked out in the first days of the war and the officers in charge took it upon themselves to destroy the weapons so we wouldn't hang them when the war ended. They are still hidden and those who know (and in a dictatorship the number of those would be real small, maybe even only Uday and Qusay, and they can't talk) are still afraid of Sadam. I think this is a strong possibility. They other really frightening option is that they have been shipped out. If so, we are all in real serious danger. We have to figure this out soon.

The bottom line though is that if we cut and run, the Arab terrorists will conclude we don't have the stomach - as that paragon of virtue Clinton demonstrated repeatedly in Somalia, after the Africa embassy bombings, after the USS Cole - to carry the fight to them. I estimate that if we retire from Iraq before stability is installed, within 12 months there will be a major terrorist attack on the U.S. (I mean here) involving nuclear, chemical or biological agents causing the death of many thousand more than 9/11. We are at war. Osama and others like him continue to make their intentions perfectly clear. What is the surrender weasel anti-terrorist policy? It's a mystery to me.

This is a summary of the important conclusions in the Kay Report: http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/apostolou200310031526.asp

IRAQ DOES HAVE WMD: ARMS MAN
By DEBORAH ORIN

Click on the link below to access the story.
http://www.nypost.com/news/worldnews/7396.htm

One last link for those of you that are still interested:

http://www.nationalreview.com/script/printpage.asp?ref=/hanson/hanson200310240838.asp

Alright, I am done.

-Gig
[/quote]
You believe what you want to believe, Dee. You hear what you want you hear, you make assumptions you want to. I assume they were destroyed, you assume that they weren't and that Bush is a lieing idiot. I doubt that will change.

Oh, and to the assumption that Bush is out, might want to rethink that friend. There seems to be a large number of Liberal posters willing to argue against me on this site, but for the most part, Bush's approval rating is up there. Maybe not so much among youth, but they never vote anyway. He's getting reelected, especially since every loser the Democratic party is scrambling for just won't cut it or put up a good fight.

longtimelurker: [quote author=gigantikok link=board=99;num=1067045112;start=0#16 date=10/28/03 at 17:19:12]
What you just said is EXTREMELY over simplified, and potentially incorrect.

It lacks any facts or true explanation.  Thousands of lives?  Maybe you were just making a joke, but come on, what the hell are you talking about?  Are you talking about Saddam's goons?  Are you talking about a few eggs we broke to make an omelet?  I think as many people would have died if we had left Saddam in power.  Do you have any idea what he did to his own people?  It is disgusting.  Do some research.  Do you forget the mass genocide he was initiating in the last few years?  Or does that not matter?  Hell, any misinformed, nonfactual excuse is good enough.  I think you would hate the man no matter what decisions he would have made.
[/quote]

I'm not going to say that I've listened astutely to everything that's come out of your country's administration, as we've had our own hysterical war-mongerer here to listen to instead.

As well as this, we have also had two full-on investigations into our governments conduct in the run-up to the war. One has finished it's report (Blair made quite sure at the outset that this had limited powers, so it was quite gentle in it's criticism of the government), and the other is still deliberating on the subject.

The second enquiry is regarding claims made by a BBC journalist that the government 'sexed up' a dossier in their case for war. Before I continue, I would also like to point out that the origin of this story was our country's foremost expert in WMD and a senior UN inspector in Iraq. He committed suicide shortly after his name was 'outed' by the government (and hence why we had the enquiry).

Anyway...

In several places in these documents the content had been changed from what the intelligence services had originally stated to make the case more serious. The most notable example was a claim that 'SH has possession of WMD that can be deployed in 45 minutes' - which actually came from 'SH may be in posession of WMD that can be deployed on the battlefield' NOT the threat to world peace that was implied with the original statement.

There was no reason, if the WMD do not exist in a usable form (as I suspect will be the case), then what was this huge rush to go to war for? Why not let the UN inspectors complete their inspections?

I mean - why alienate half of the world's governments? Why undermine the UN? Why cause great political discomfort for your closest ally (Blair) by forcing his hand even though 90% of the British population were anti-war?

As I mentioned elsewhere (don't have time to hunt and link now) the support for the war would have been much greater IF the cause had been sold as 'continued breach of human rights and crimes against humanity' - but it wasn't. The issue was WMD. (declaration of war solely for regime change is illegal under international law).

Besides Gigantikok, you state:

It was not the UN inspectors job to find weapons, it was Sadam's job to destroy them, under the supervision of the UN inspectors so that the weapons that the U.S., Britain, AND THE UN all acknowledge existed were destroyed.

What really confused me at the time (and still does now) was - lets just imagine that Saddam really had destroyed his WMD. What can he do apart from say he destroyed them? You can't go and show people a bottle of incinerated anthrax spores! Not letting the inspectors complete their task and giving an 'all clear' is using the 'guilty untl proven innocent' routine - remember - passing the respective countries intelligence to the inspectors still didn't turn up these WMD that Iraq 'definately had'.

There's more I can (and probably will) say, but I need to go out.

longtimelurker: [quote author=gigantikok link=board=99;num=1067045112;start=0#16 date=10/28/03 at 17:19:12]
What you just said is EXTREMELY over simplified, and potentially incorrect.

It lacks any facts or true explanation.  Thousands of lives?  Maybe you were just making a joke, but come on, what the hell are you talking about?  Are you talking about Saddam's goons?  Are you talking about a few eggs we broke to make an omelet?  I think as many people would have died if we had left Saddam in power.  Do you have any idea what he did to his own people?  It is disgusting.  Do some research.  Do you forget the mass genocide he was initiating in the last few years?  Or does that not matter?  Hell, any misinformed, nonfactual excuse is good enough.  I think you would hate the man no matter what decisions he would have made.[/quote]

No, I'm talking about the estimated 13,000 Iraqi deaths caused during the combat phase alone (of which 4,300 are assumed civilian - try calling them a 'few eggs' to their families) (source: Project on Defense Alternatives, Massachusetts). Of course, this is only an estimate, as the US army is not counting the numbers of Iraqis that are killed (rightly or wrongly) by their hand. It also will not count the deaths caused by the aftermath disruption of poor sanitation, and lack of power caused by the bombings.

I am fully aware of what he did to his own people and I agree with you, it ranks amongst the vilest things in history. BUT because this war was rushed through insufficient planning had been made for how to deal with the aftermath - how else do you explain the huge rises in 'upkeep costs', for example? In addition, all armies involved had no time for 'cultural briefings' beforehand, which would have made the current situations much more manageable - hell, our forces have only just started a month or so ago and I'm not aware of any planned US program.

If the road to war had taken its correct course rather than being pushed through by men hell-bent on it (whom had been since 9/11) then it would be likely that the worldwide support would have been much greater, there would be far less cries of 'imperial colonialism', fundraising for rebuilding (and the rebuilding and stabilisation itself) would have been simplified enormously AND (not least importantly) foreign relations with the US wouldn't have been dragged into the gutter.

longtimelurker: And a couple of last things before I go to bed (well, it is 1 in the morning!)

Ronald Reagan was supporting Iraq at the time of the Kurdish gassing, and - well, I may as well post the section from the website, as I'm far too tired to re-word.

(http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/dictators/saddam-hussein/) I know it doesn't sound too greatly reliable a news source, but I seem to recall these facts coming out from elsewhere...

U.S. companies were recruited and encouraged, both covertly and overtly, to ship poisonous chemicals and biological agents to Iraq, by the administrations of both Reagan and George Bush Sr., according to the Washington Post and numerous other reports. The CIA also followed up on these efforts with various military and intelligence assists.

U.S. care packages to Saddam included sample strains of anthrax and bubonic plague, which must have seemed like a really fucking great idea to someone at the time. With U.S. assistance and on its own initiative, Iraq also reportedly developed new and improved toxins, such as ricin and sarin gas.

OK - so he may have had WMD at the time - but only because you f*****g gave them to him!!!

gigantikok: [quote author=longtimelurker link=board=99;num=1067045112;start=20#28 date=10/29/03 at 16:50:54]And a couple of last things before I go to bed (well, it is 1 in the morning!)

Ronald Reagan was supporting Iraq at the time of the Kurdish gassing, and - well, I may as well post the section from the website, as I'm far too tired to re-word.

(http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/dictators/saddam-hussein/) I know it doesn't sound too greatly reliable a news source, but I seem to recall these facts coming out from elsewhere...

OK - so he may have had WMD at the time - but only because you f*****g gave them to him!!![/quote]

I was going to take the time to make a response to everything you said, but I really don't care. I don't think we are going to convince each other of anything, especially since you offer no links and no evidence of anything. I at least presented links and sources to back up my opinions. You could have very well been spewing skewed facts or exaggerated numbers. Sorry buddy, takes more than that to convince me.

I will comment on this last post you made though. You are right, we did supply weapons to Iraq... OVER A FUCKING DECADE AGO. Jesus, sure it sounds bad when you take history and events out of context. At the time, Iraq and Iran (if I am grossly incorrect, I apologize profusely, but I also do not have the time to look this up) were at each other's throats. The United States had to support the lesser of two evils because AT THE TIME Iran posed more of a threat. Yea, you may not believe it, but yes, it was true. Iran was more of a threat, and the United States wanted to give Iraq weapons necessary to win a war. Maybe it was a mistake to trust Saddam, but that was over a FUCKING DECADE AGO. I know there are other madmen throughout the world. I know there are other countries with weapons of mass destruction. We had to start somewhere, though, and that starting point was Iraq, for whatever reason. And once Iraq is taken, yes, we will move onto other oppressed countries with crazy dictators sporting dangerous weapons, but even if we has started elsewhere, all you people would be finding reasons to criticize that too. We just can't hold hands and sing "Kumbaya".

Anyway, back to what you said, Lurker. It's facts like that, taken out of context and skewed for the sake of an argument, that perpetuates ignorance. You hear what you want to hear, you ignore what you want to ignore.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I'm adding this and then moving on because the political back-and-forth is starting to wear incredibly thin.

First things first: any researcher or scholar in the field who is worth his salt knows how to evaluate sources. Gig, I really don't care if you come up with hundreds or thousands of reports. If they are drafted by researchers who have an inherent bias in supporting Bush's policies, the content becomes questionable. A really good book you might want to check out is Slife and William's [link=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0803958633/002-6653284-9549605?v=glance&vi=reviews]What's Behind the Research? Discovering Hidden Assumptions in the Behavioral Sciences[/link]. I read another text for a Metaphysics class in undergraduate school, and if I think of it, I'll be sure to add that title as well.

That begs the question, who are Kay and Orin in the grand scheme of understanding the WMD controversy? Orin's just a reporter. I'm not familar with Kay or his/her work, but I would equally argue metavalidatory questions. Political affiliation? Appointment within the Cabinet? Inherent bias?

I ask these questions especially of members of the Bush administration because, as "intelligence" reports would suggest, political procedure has this uncanny way of fucking up solid, reliable and useful methodology. Though I have never had my own experimentation subject to such scrutiny, but I can only imagine researching for one of Bush's agendas. If my results didn't come exactly to par with plans he has for mobilization and the Cabinet, what...

Research funding out the window. Ad hominem attacks on credibility, much less being labeled as a "them" rather than an "us." Or even if my results were inconclusive, considering how "green light" the US was with those attacks, no one might give a damn anyway.

I don't care what you say. Journalists are not researchers. They are not on the front lines 24-7; they are not licensed, skilled, or trained in spotting, identifying, or knowing the full effects of chemical gas and other weapons; and they are not scholarly text creators that deserve the level of credence you give them for their editorial. Let's be rightly honest, now. If I managed to worm my way into a New York Times article and gave a low-level, somewhat compelling argument against the WMD phenomenon, and if it survived editing and made it to press, could another LPSGer say, "Well, Dee wrote the article 'There are NO WMDs in Iraq' so I guess he must be right."

And whether you have read it or not, journalists all but clarify the issue. Some support Bush for what he did; some are quick to attack the intelligence. Some reports confirm there are WMDs and others have made no such confirmation. So if a newspaper says the WMDs are there, are they there? To my knowledge, since the inspectors were rushed out of Iraq and the war commenced, no conclusive evidence has yet been drawn to prove that the WMDs were there.

But that one lady said they're there, so they're there, right? WRONG. You give source credit to non-scholarly works. You don't stop to consider who the researchers are in relationship to their "findings." And I haven't bothered reading most of what you've written on this topic because a consistent pattern in your response suggests that you're slacking in argumentative form. I'm sorry. Ad hominem attacks don't cut it; they're fallaciously devalued.

And for everyone's sake, Gig, I really hope you're wrong about Bush. Really, really, really.

Inwood: I really want this particular thread back on the subject of Rush's addiction and problem with illegal procurement of drugs. So I just put in a new thread with a focus on Bush. Hope you all find it of interest.

It's under the title "Bush Lie?"

hawl: Thanks to everyone for all the attention that was paid so quickly to my post. Here's a classic Republican article I guess I should have included with it-www.worldpolicy.org/globalrights/usa/1996-0212-NR-drugwar.html.

gigantikok: [quote author=DeeBlackthorne link=board=99;num=1067045112;start=20#30 date=10/29/03 at 18:07:52]And I haven't bothered reading most of what you've written on this topic because a consistent pattern in your response suggests that you're slacking in argumentative form.  I'm sorry.

And for everyone's sake, Gig, I really hope you're wrong about Bush.  Really, really, really.  [/quote]
No need to apologize, doesn't surprise me. I doubt you care much about my posts anymore anyway.

Oh and Dee, don't speak for everyone, ok? The universe doesn't revolve around you or your political opinion. You know what? For everyone's sake, I hope I am right about Bush. Really, really, really.

longtimelurker: [quote author=gigantikok link=board=99;num=1067045112;start=20#29 date=10/29/03 at 17:20:21]

I was going to take the time to make a response to everything you said, but I really don't care.  I don't think we are going to convince each other of anything, especially since you offer no links and no evidence of anything.  I at least presented links and sources to back up my opinions.  You could have very well been spewing skewed facts or exaggerated numbers.  Sorry buddy, takes more than that to convince me.[/quote]

Hmm, sorry, but when I put in 'source - ', then I take that as providing my sources. It usually works fine when writing my research documents.

If you want the link to the estimates, I got that from BBC News website. You may as well get the figures straight from the horses mouth - the company that produced the original report that the numbers were lifted from can be found here http://www.comw.org/pda/

As for changing each others opinions, I view this as more of a political debate - the idea is not to convert the opposite side, as they are usually too entrenched in their beliefs - it is to win over the minds of others that are reading by rational arguing of points. If anything that I have written has made one person think 'oh, I didn't realise that' or similar, then that is good enough for me.

Sorry Inwood - the thread is now yours :)

Inwood: Go to the new Bush threads. Go to the new Bush threads.

Anybody heard anything about Rush lately?

gigantikok: Back to Rush:

Alot of you guys are coming down hard on Rush. I started thinking to myself, are you really actually sure of what you are saying? Are you really sure of your facts? Did any of you guys ever LISTEN to Rush Limbaugh? I do sparingly, my dad does more. I had this discussion with my dad, and he literally said,"Those people don't know what the fuck they are talking about. I listen to Rush everyday and he hardly ever brought up the topic of drugs, let alone come down on drug users with 'fire and brimstone'." Libertarians come down on drug users much harder, especially Libertarian talk show hosts like Neil Bortz. Rush might not have thought highly of or praised drug addicts, but neither did he come down on them with "fire and brimstone". In my personal opinion, he is undeserving of all your hate, and I think the hate is manifesting for a different reason. Why do Liberals hate Rush so much? Is it because he has such a loyal legion of faithful listeners? Does he threaten some of you people? You can claim you hate him because he is "rude" or "obnoxious", but what is the real reason?

Anyway, I challenge anyone to through out a direct quote of any point in time he condemned drug users to hell...

hawl: [quote author=gigantikok link=board=99;num=1067045112;start=20#37 date=10/30/03 at 21:49:27]Back to Rush:

Anyway, I challenge anyone to through out a direct quote of any point in time he condemned drug users to hell...[/quote] ???. Party on, Mr. G! As ever, I wish everyone here well.

Javierdude22: I would have to back up Dee on this reliable source thing. I'm doing a graduate program in which the way you conduct your research, the sources you pick, the reliability, validity, and transparency are the sun/centre to the entire study.

It is totally nót about anyone's opinion in this case. But what ackes me, also in past threads, is how people often first not present any sources, and when they do ones from questionable websites, and than say that they thus have become facts. If you really understood how long it takes for anything to become a fact and when it did, on what grounds it became fact, you'd understand that not everything can be labeled as such that easily.

And I have to agree that it is difficult to find a reliable, unbiased, source in the US as almost everything, even the academic world, seems to be heavily webbed by politics. But there are ways to find a middle. And I always thought it was obvious how certain sources are so heavily polluted by other interests that they would be disqualified as a reliable source. But I guess that is not obvious to everyone.

Sources should not, and cannot have any othe interests that can influence the research on a certain subject. Depending on the subject this can range from religion and political colour to race, social class etc. Also, the financial donor to the research should not have any ties or interest that can influence the research (favourable answers).

Those are the basics. A very easy example on this would be to let the NRA investigate whether people are in favor of anti-gun law.