• We are rebuilding our search index, so results may be missing or incomplete for a short period.

    You can close this by clicking the 'X' at the top corner of this notice.

Public nudity

I've no idea what has caused this shift it mentality, and it seems to be across the world. Certainly in gyms and other leisure facilities the old gang showers are gone and it's rare to see anyone naked these days. I suppose I am one of the older guys at the gym now, the young ones arrive in workout gear, do a workout then liberal body spray to go home, few shower.

Seems we've got a generation of super shy and smelly teenagers.
 
I’d wager it has to do with the acceptance of homosexuality. Obv this isn’t me condemning it, but most men probably took solace in the fact that they thought the majority of other men had no desire for their flesh and now the specter of the gay looms in gyms the world over. This isn’t to say there wasn’t homosexual behavior in the past, but now that it is socially unacceptable to marginalize homosexuality, openness to nudity has become laden with that specter. All speculation, but if anyone knows your average straight guy, it makes sense.

I think it has more to do with the proliferation of cellphones in the locker rooms. How many times do you see someone sitting in front of a locker checking the phone? People might think he could just as easily be taking pictures of naked men and posting them.
I think it is a bit of both. The other thing I think is that whereas when I was in school, there was no option but to shower nude, nowadays there would be parental objection if any child unwilling to do so was asked to.
 
  • Like
Reactions: herbho and pdxjoe
No a bare head is not the reason guys in the US are shy about being nude. This shyness only developed in recent years. I remember it wasn't long ago when can guys all showered in open showers and didn't wear underwear while showering or do the towel dance. Most of those guys were circumcised too.
I don't know what happened in those intervening years to the present that created that shyness. Something changed in America to cause that shyness. But several years ago before the YMCA became co-ed, guys used to swim nude at the YMCA. Go figure. But a bare glans had nothing to do with it, since the majority of American men were circumcised
My son graduated HS 15 years ago. Even then i guess they showered in gym shorts, then did a towel wrap to drop the wet shorts, dry off then slide the dry boxers on. He’s uncut, (a rarity in his group I believe). Showering this way had nothing to do with skin. Everyone did it this way. I grew up in circular gang showers, trough urinals.
 
I've no idea what has caused this shift it mentality, and it seems to be across the world. Certainly in gyms and other leisure facilities the old gang showers are gone and it's rare to see anyone naked these days. I suppose I am one of the older guys at the gym now, the young ones arrive in workout gear, do a workout then liberal body spray to go home, few shower.

Seems we've got a generation of super shy and smelly teenagers.
My thoughts are that it was a rebellion against all the free love age, suddenly the USA got very "prude" and puritanical.
Budgie smugglers were out, baggy was in. Guys didnt have cocks they could show off any longer, a cod piece would bring on the vapours!
So wha was happening on the beach spread to everywhere, guys' cocks were disgusting and should be hidden away.
My boys were brought up to be proud of their bodies (they had plenty to be extremely proud of) and not shy.
Alas, not the norm, the towel dance still happens and guys blush if they flash a bit of butt.
 
  • Like
Reactions: coffinhack