Schadenfreude.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
The comedian Steve Allen once wrote that if you were to hear or see a word or name that you'd never heard or seen before that you'd hear or see it again within 24 hours in a completely different context.

For example, today I was reading a column in the Sunday Paper wherein the columnist mentioned Martha Stewart's schadenfreude. I had to look it up. (Pronounced sha-den-froy-dah.) It means "a malicious satisfaction in the misfortunes of others."

Within the hour I was checking DirecTV's evening local channel schedule and clicked on "Cold Case." The name of tonight's episode is Schadenfreude.

I run across this stuff all the time. I have been cursed by a comedian. :blink:

Has anybody else here experienced this?

Spyderdan: I see what you mean.
I love coincidences and synchronicity type stuff.
Don't know if you care about this, Pecker but:

Seems, whenever I'm fallin for someone, that individual's first or last name appears everywhere. Like street names, weatherpeople's names, I'll just see it spraypainted somewhere.

I was working at a pizza shop and looking at a map and just thinking I wonder what the properties in Enytown are going for, just then a lady called up and said "hi I'm calling in reference to the house you're selling in Enytown." I'm like, uh, no this is a pizza shop, lady! Weird.

I'm better now but I was contemplating suicide (sorry for the morbidity) and had an idea of going into a place called Target Masters and shooting myself with a rented shotgun. Just then on the radio an ad came on "Targetmasters! Come in and shoot the remington blah blah blah...." 1st time I heard that one. Somebody's up there laughing at me, I tell ya.

The number 23 follows me everywhere. The list goes on. I think sometimes, whatever's forefront on your mind, you just notice that and only that and it sticks out. But it can be pretty cool and even freaky sometimes.

Not to mention me being absolutely obsessed with cock size and working next to a store called "Inches Away" Figures.

Stupid fate

Spyderdan: Doesn't "freude" mean "joy" in German, as in Schiller's Ode to Joy in Beethoven's 9th, "O freude! Freude!" Just seems ironic.