Serious computer problem, someone please help!

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Okay ya'll... I think I'm good for the night. I need to sleep. I've been working on this for five hours now, and I don't want to think about it ANYMORE! lol. Thank you deeply for ALL of your help... I appreciate it immensely. I'm not stupid when it comes to computers, but I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as I could be... so it's always great when people are willing to give me a hand.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
Okay ya'll... I think I'm good for the night. I need to sleep. I've been working on this for five hours now, and I don't want to think about it ANYMORE! lol. Thank you deeply for ALL of your help... I appreciate it immensely. I'm not stupid when it comes to computers, but I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as I could be... so it's always great when people are willing to give me a hand.

just happy to lend some helping typing fingers :smile:

lostmymind

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
ok. 0x0d1 is a driver related bluescreen. It's like arguing gravity.

And Heather, I apologize if I sounded like a jerk. I've no doubt you are very good at your job. You are obviously quite bright and think on your feet.

You may be interested to know for example that when we were testing PowerPoint 2003 we discovered that there was a driver conflict that would manifest for certain models of older Panasonic printers depending on the install options selected. It wasn't actually a problem with the driver per se, but the 2003 app used a memory space that was previously assigned to older printer drivers. Certain javascript games would cause similar 'driver conflicts'. Zone Alarm has always been known to brute force it's way into specific memory allocations that may now be allocated to other applications. Fixing the driver memory space issue (by reinstalling it) may get you up and running for now but doesn't truly resolved the issue and may lead to other problems down the road.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
And Heather, I apologize if I sounded like a jerk. I've no doubt you are very good at your job. You are obviously quite bright and think on your feet.

You may be interested to know for example that when we were testing PowerPoint 2003 we discovered that there was a driver conflict that would manifest for certain models of older Panasonic printers depending on the install options selected. It wasn't actually a problem with the driver per se, but the 2003 app used a memory space that was previously assigned to older printer drivers. Certain javascript games would cause similar 'driver conflicts'. Zone Alarm has always been known to brute force it's way into specific memory allocations that may now be allocated to other applications. Fixing the driver memory space issue (by reinstalling it) may get you up and running for now but doesn't truly resolved the issue and may lead to other problems down the road.

i'm not really a "program" (like office or anything) developer, i do drivers themselves, but what your basically saying is that zone alarm has some memory holes per se? this is interesting, i've never used it but i might just intstall it, to see what you guys are talking about.

lostmymind

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
i'm not really a "program" (like office or anything) developer, i do drivers themselves, but what your basically saying is that zone alarm has some memory holes per se? this is interesting, i've never used it but i might just intstall it, to see what you guys are talking about.

Depends on how you implement the IOCTL, otherwise yes you can create a major security hole.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yeah...it's called Vista.

One nice thing about nVidia is their unified driver architecture. The updates for the 7 and 8 series chipsets are backward-compatible with the 6 series.
I like Vista. The only complaint i have is that its a memory hog. The problem is with the Vidia drivers. They are garbage. Stay away from this. I knew about the problems with Vidia and stayed away. I have no problems with Vista. I think it's great.