Studying abroad- England!

HappyBoi

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hi! :smile:

I might be going abroad for studies this fall, to Bath in England! Now I'm curious what you guys feel about England, (or maybe even Bath if you know anything about or been to the city)? :)

How's the people, the community, the night-life and studying enviroments? :D
Is there any open-minded or gay areas (scenes)? :biggrin1:

What do you do for... fun, in England? Hihi. :rolleyes:

/A curious Happy.

MistahL

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Studying abroad is very exhilarating. :)
You will enjoy yourself trust me, I'm studying abroad in America from Italy and it's really great.

When I visited England I was always cold so bring alot of jackets. :)

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, as an Englishman, I can tell you that it can get pretty cold but probably no colder than Sweden so you would probably be fine. I have visited Bath - it is a nice, historical place with some lovely buildings. Some areas can be a little tourist-packed in the summertime but generally it seems like a genuinely nice place. The following site has information, links and images of the city. Bath Travel & Tourism | Bath Hotels & Accommodation Bath UK I only made a flying visit so I can't tell you too many details about the night-life etc. but the site should help to fill in the blanks for you. :) Perhaps another member could tell you more.

Generally speaking, the British are very open-minded and welcoming of new ideas and cultures. There are people from all over the world who have chosen to make this their home! I do know that there is a strong gay community here and plenty of associated activities. Fun can be found in many forms, whether it be a visit to a museum or 'fun' in its very simplest form. There are the occasional idiots to contend with but you expect that everywhere in the world. The educational facilities here are generally very good. I believe Bath University is quite well respected, so you would get on well there.

If you plan on touring Britain, (or even just England) my advice would be to explore everywhere. So many people go to see Buckingham Palace or Big Ben and inadvertently miss some of the best things! There is great beauty to be found in the architecture, the people and the countryside. So, all in all England is a great place with lots of things to do and friendly people. Good luck and I hope this helps! Reading this back I realise I sound like I'm working for the tourist board haha.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I did a program in Cambridge. I had a blast and met some really great people. (I actually learned something too) I can't recommend it highly enough if you have the opportunity.
But it was cold, bring warm clothes.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I did a program in Cambridge. I had a blast and met some really great people. (I actually learned something too) I can't recommend it highly enough if you have the opportunity.
But it was cold, bring warm clothes.

I must be adjusted to the colder weather I suppose. I must admit, it is rarely sunglasses weather here. :cool:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I must be adjusted to the colder weather I suppose. I must admit, it is rarely sunglasses weather here. :cool:

Well for someone who was accustomed to the weather in Hawaii and Southern California... it was really cold. But I have to admit that was about the time I started wearing sunglasses regularly; might have been the amount of time studying or spending time in pubs or both.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well for someone who was accustomed to the weather in Hawaii and Southern California... it was really cold. But I have to admit that was about the time I started wearing sunglasses regularly; might have been the amount of time studying or spending time in pubs or both.

I think I should have mentioned the erratic weather, it can be very hot. So in conclusion, between nudeyorker and I, we recommend taking an ample supply of warm clothing and packing several pairs of sunglasses. Just in case. :wink:

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Bath is a great place and a very well respected University.

I've been there on rugby tours in the past, trying to teach the English how to play the game.

You have Bristol just down the raod, where you will find everything that you can't find in Bath. London and Oxford are also only a short train ride away and you have the beautiful Zumerzet and Cotswolds on either side. You're not even that far from some great beaches.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think I should have mentioned the erratic weather, it can be very hot. So in conclusion, between nudeyorker and I, we recommend taking an ample supply of warm clothing and packing several pairs of sunglasses. Just in case. :wink:

And if you're going in winter, make sure you wear LIGHT clothing underneath your heavy clothing. People in England seriously overheat their houses (or at least my family do). I had to strip nearly everything off every time I stepped inside.

Kotchanski

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I live right next door to Bath, it really is the most beautiful of places.

There really is something for everyone there, and though I'm not a big drinker myself, it's also home to my favourite pub (They play decent music and it looks amazing!)

Bristol is only a stones throw away, and for me at least is far better shopping wise and has plenty of choices of things to do too if you get bored of Bath and fancy a change.

As for gay scenes... Bristol isn't too bad, though I don't know about Bath. There's basically one whopping huge road full of gay pubs/bars/clubs to suit most tastes, including a karaoke bar that I'm sure will be fine for a gay male, but the women, well one of them... Scared the shit out of me (I blame Flame Boy... He made me go!)

There are quite a few local members here too, so I'm sure you'd have plenty of offers to show you around the place if needed :biggrin1:

Bath is a great place and a very well respected University.

I've been there on rugby tours in the past, trying to teach the English how to play the game.

You have Bristol just down the raod, where you will find everything that you can't find in Bath. London and Oxford are also only a short train ride away and you have the beautiful Zumerzet and Cotswolds on either side. You're not even that far from some great beaches.
^^ What he said.

Plus, great architecture. Bath is lovely - quite well-to-do (wealthy) area, AND not too far from Wales haha.

S

superbot

Put off coming to the UK for a while,the sun was seen today for the first time since,well....I last had relations!!!!!

curious_angel

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
.... AND not too far from Wales haha.
Thank goodness you're not responsible for promoting Bath.:tongue:

Bath is a beautiful place and us Brits really are quite nice. It's important to familiarise yourself with some of the local customs. A key one to remember is when making a new acquaintance, you should always offer to buy them a pint and packet of pork scratchings. This can take place in a bar, or in the vicinity of a bar*. Especially if her name is curious_angel.

* so basically anywhere in Bath.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thank goodness you're not responsible for promoting Bath.:tongue:

Bath is a beautiful place and us Brits really are quite nice. It's important to familiarise yourself with some of the local customs. A key one to remember is when making a new acquaintance, you should always offer to buy them a pint and packet of pork scratchings. This can take place in a bar, or in the vicinity of a bar*. Especially if her name is curious_angel.

* so basically anywhere in Bath.

Amazing! You like pork scratchings...

curious_angel

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Amazing! You like pork scratchings...
I prefer them with a side order of Boudin Noir. I hate to admit it, but I'm a bit French too. Don't hate me.

A pint and pork scratchings? Things really are different down south...
I guess it's all about the Pina Colada and a pie up North.