The Case Against Mother Teresa

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
According to Christopher Hitchens.

Mother Teresa: a combination of showbiz, superstition and populism. She was a great "marketing tool" cynically and exploitively used by the church in an opportunistic way. A cruel exploitation of a seemingly simple and honest woman. She brought the church "good publicity". Teresa was a "profane marriage of tawdry media hype and medieval superstition"... which gave birth to an icon "which few have since had the poor taste to question."

According to Hitchens, Mother Teresa was not a friend to the poor. She preached that suffering was a gift from God.

Teresa of Calcutta suffered greatly, as her letters later revealed, from a lack of faith. During the last 50 years of her life, she, in effect, had no faith. It's not that she just questions the existence of God. She stopped believing in a divine Jesus altogether. Christopher finds this touching and moving because the letters "show someone who's striving very hard, as hard as a person could, to believe, and failing to do it." She made up for this failure by an excessive zeal, hysterical overwork, ostentatious poverty, preaching a very fanatical and dogmatic version of the catholic church's dogma.

In India, Mother Teresa ran a "home for the dying", a hospice which purportedly "sweetens the last moments of otherwise destitute lives". This hospice was basically 2 rooms: 50-60 men in one, 50-60 women in another. They dying had their heads shaved and all were on World War I type stretcher beds. There were no chairs. No garden. No yard. No nothing. The dying were not given any medical care. Asprin for the pain is about it (some had terminal cancer). Needles were used over and over and rinsed under cold tap, never sterilized. "There's no point," one of the nuns said. No antibiotics were given, a staple in regular indian hospitals.

Mother Teresa: "Right from the beginning, I wanted to serve the poor purely for the love of God. And to give them what the rich people get with money... I wanted to give to the poor for the love of God."

On the wall of this "home for the dying" was a sign: "I am on my way to heaven".

Mother Teresa was a virgin who preached very strongly against birth control and any form of contraception. She lobbied for laws limiting abortion. Although she claimed not to have been political, she was used by the Christian Right.

She was also a salve. Western people in first world countries like to feel that "somebody" is ministering and sacrificing herself to the sick and needy in third world countries; "rescuing" them. It makes the West feel better.

Christopher Hitchens makes the case that Mother Teresa simply accepted the idea of the poor. She did not wish to help them improve and change their lives. She's not bothered with that agenda. She had no interest in tackling the real problems of poverty. Mother Teresa simply wanted to rescue their souls before they went on to eternal life.

YouTube - Hell's Angel: Mother Teresa by Christopher Hitchens (1 of 3)

YouTube - Hell's Angel: Mother Teresa by Christopher Hitchens (2 of 3)

YouTube - Hell's Angel: Mother Teresa by Christopher Hitchens (3 of 3)

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
I think what really bugs me most about MT is she did not care about poverty - and the roots of poverty; and the solutions for poverty - so much as saving souls. Her big "flagship" hospice in India (for the dying) was not interested in saving human lives so much as saving eternal lives.

I think there is an evil in this. It reminds me of the evangelical parent who refuses to give his child surgery or a blood transfusion or some other life-saving operation -- and chooses to pray to Jesus instead. Mother Teresa was not big on medical care. Her missions were not even set up for acute medical care. Yet, she received the cancer patients and terminally ill patients and, in effect, "prayed to Jesus" , foregoing traditional hospital care.

Also. She said that condoms were a greater threat than the AIDS virus.

I get a bit irrational whenever Mother Teresa or the Pope or the evangelical christians start thinking that Jesus trumps science and the medical community and common sense.

D

deleted213967

I can't recall what requisite "miracles" the Vatican attributed to her. Is she a saint yet or still in transit?

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
She's been beatified, but not canonized yet. So she's the Blessed Teresa of Calcutta. If/when she is canonized, then she'll be a saint.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
Teresa of Calcutta, Bl, was blessed only six years after her death. This is fairly unprecedented, but then John Paul II went a bit overboard with over 1000 beatifications during his Papacy.

I wonder what miracles the Holy See claimed to have been performed by Teresa. Technically, she need only have performed one. This is the part that really makes me shake my head at the Catholic Church.

S

superbot

This is OLD HAT codswallop! the biggest self-server in all of this the Hitchen 'ego gone mad' idiot.The guy has clearly carved out a nice little career for himself wowing /shocking gullible Americans,which quite frankly lost it's appeal in the UK along time ago (he's not taken seriously here at all!).If Mother Teresa is as bad as is made out,quite clearly she would have ignored by the international community years ago and not repeatedly given awards.I have far more respect for people who 'get off their arses' and make a difference in the world rather than publicity seeking journalists always with an eye on in their next ego-trip article, and DO nothing.The woman was awarded the Nobel Prize don't forget!!...

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This is OLD HAT codswallop! the biggest self-server in all of this the Hitchen 'ego gone mad' idiot.The guy has clearly carved out a nice little career for himself wowing /shocking gullible Americans,which quite frankly lost it's appeal in the UK along time ago (he's not taken seriously here at all!).If Mother Teresa is as bad as is made out,quite clearly she would have ignored by the international community years ago and not repeatedly given awards.I have far more respect for people who 'get off their arses' and make a difference in the world rather than publicity seeking journalists always with an eye on in their next ego-trip article, and DO nothing.The woman was awarded the Nobel Prize don't forget!!...

I could not have said it better, Thank you.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Here's Mother Teresa, from her acceptance speech for the 1979 Nobel Peace Prize: “Abortion is the worst evil... if a mother can kill her own child, what will prevent us from killing ourselves or one another? Nothing.”

Mother Teresa built a reputation on supposedly helping to alleviate poverty. Her constant message was: “Let us promise our Lady who loves Ireland so much, that we will never allow this country a single abortion. And no contraceptives.”

This is a woman who saw no connection between poverty and too many children.

Mother Teresa was once asked: “So you wouldn’t agree with people who say there are too many children in India?” -- Teresa's response: “I do not agree, because God always provides. He provides for the flowers and the birds, for everything in the world He has created. And those little children are his life. There can never be enough.”

Religions warps us. Religion impedes our common sense. How can a woman who saw thousands of children die from malnutrition and suffer starvation sternly advocate for "No contraceptives"?