The Cost of Christmas Lights

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It took the three of us, two days but we finally got all the Christmas lights up outside. :biggrin1: It's not an over the top light extravaganza, nor is it set to music but it's in our signature color and it looks quite nice if I do say so myself. :cool:

We still use the big C9 lights in green for the fence and we went with the mini blinking lights for the bushes near the door. Over the garage we have a US Flag made entirely of lights. Dad's a veteran of Korea and he 'borrowed' the flag from me after 9/11 and never gave it back. :tongue:

Dad wanted to switch over to the little LED lights this year but I really like the look of the big lights. He claims they use less electricity. That got me wondering:

• Do the chaser and blinking lights use more or less electricity than the steady ones?
  • Will you scale back your seasonal light display this year because of the economy?
  • Do you go overboard with lights and decorations at this time of year?
  • Do you worry about your December electric bill or do you consider it a seasonal expense like candy canes and hot cocoa?
Some cool and interesting light displays
Wizards in Winter by TSO
Carol of the Bells
Superman Theme
LED Christmas Lights
Coca~Cola Christmas

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I'd go overboard on Christmas lights if I had the money, but I don't.

I bought three sets of 100 multicolored light strands for two dollars a piece at Family Dollar and put them up on my three front windows. I've never put up a tree while living alone, so the lights for the windows are all I bought.

I've always loved chaser lights but those are kinda expensive. Three hundred of those would be around 50 to 60 dollars. And I think they are more costly to light than regular steady-burning lights.

I also wanted to buy LED lights but 300 of those would be almost a hundred dollars. I know that they'd cost less than regular lights in the long run, but I simply don't have that sort of money to spend on Christmas lights upfront atm. Maybe next year.:biggrin:

D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Account Disabled
Media
Just got done decorating three shopping centers and an entire street, talk about a pain in the ass.

LEDs do use less electricity, and you can get them in C9s. We did a 25ft tree for one place using C7 LEDs. The bulbs are plastic and are supposed to last forever just about. But if you like the crisp, warm white glow that traditional clear bulbs put out, you won't get that with LED bulbs.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have a CHristmas wreath on my door, and some Xmas cushions on my porch two-seater bench.

Other than that... I have yet to put up any lights. :eek:

I probably won't put up any outside lights because, like a fool, I threw out most of my Xmas decors when I moved... and now that I'm back in a big house, I need those decors... * kicks self several times *

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
People here leave them up for all of the dark season.

I love chaser lights, which use slightly less power than steady ones. I bought several sets of LED's, steady ones, I haven't seen any chasers, but haven't put any up at my place. I did put some up at the Gay Community Center.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Many homes around here put their decorations up within the past week. It's nice to see Christmas decorations while it's 80 degrees outside.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We're a young couple just starting out, saving for our wedding and honeymoon. We've had to make some expensive purchases recently, investing in what we hope to grow into a successful company. Money is tight! Yikes! We've got a pre-lit tree, some ornaments, and might put an unlit wreath on the door if we can find an inexpensive one. We are not looking to buy stock in the electric utility. When the tree is lit, we do not utilze any of the lamps in the living room. Also, we try to stay in the living room, so that we aren't using light in the rest of the house at that time either. We expect our electric bill to be slightly higher. Maybe $5-10. The tree lights are very bright.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It took the three of us, two days but we finally got all the Christmas lights up outside. :biggrin1: It's not an over the top light extravaganza, nor is it set to music but it's in our signature color and it looks quite nice if I do say so myself. :cool:

We still use the big C9 lights in green for the fence and we went with the mini blinking lights for the bushes near the door. Over the garage we have a US Flag made entirely of lights. Dad's a veteran of Korea and he 'borrowed' the flag from me after 9/11 and never gave it back. :tongue:

Dad wanted to switch over to the little LED lights this year but I really like the look of the big lights. He claims they use less electricity. That got me wondering:

• Do the chaser and blinking lights use more or less electricity than the steady ones?
  • Will you scale back your seasonal light display this year because of the economy?
  • Do you go overboard with lights and decorations at this time of year?
  • Do you worry about your December electric bill or do you consider it a seasonal expense like candy canes and hot cocoa?
Some cool and interesting light displays
Wizards in Winter by TSO
Carol of the Bells
Superman Theme
LED Christmas Lights
Coca~Cola Christmas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjmiYnGKqB8
Check this- some guy in Arizona lit up his house to Felize Navidad!!
It's on youtube, but damn if I can't get the fucking link to work.

Last edited:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I think (and now this is just me, I'm sure) that it would be a much better world if people donated the money they spend on Christmas lights to charities that help the less fortunate. In addition, imagine how less the draw would be on the world power grids, thus saving a bit for when we really need the juice. Just saying that it seems rather odd to cover one's house with Christmas lights. However, I have seen the little Italian blinking versions do wonders for perking up the interior of an old refrigerator.

D_Marazion Analdouche

Experimental Member
Media
I think (and now this is just me, I'm sure) that it would be a much better world if people donated the money they spend on Christmas lights to charities that help the less fortunate. In addition, imagine how less the draw would be on the world power grids, thus saving a bit for when we really need the juice. Just saying that it seems rather odd to cover one's house with Christmas lights. However, I have seen the little Italian blinking versions do wonders for perking up the interior of an old refrigerator.

Amen brother man.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sometimes less is more. I like alot of lights if its the clear white ones and they out line a house and stuff in the front yard. I once used 3 different sizes of lights but got old and got tired of doing this all in the cold by myself so now I just put up a wreath and put up garland on the railing with bows and some lights. I'd do more if people on the block would also decorate but if my block is normal only 5 percent of the houses decorate at all. There may be 3 or 4 houses total actually put up lights and a few more put up greens with no lights.

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think (and now this is just me, I'm sure) that it would be a much better world if people donated the money they spend on Christmas lights to charities that help the less fortunate...

Yeah, it's just you. LOL!!!

Seriously, though that would be a novel idea, but America is deeply rooted in nonsensical tradition and if we stop lighting up our homes for the holidays and spending outrageous amounts of money on electricity and whatnot...

THE TERRORISTS WIN.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I saw the most ridiculous Christmas decoration today. It was a homemade wooden board about about 3 feet wide by 2 feet long and it said "Happy Birthday Jesus".

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think (and now this is just me, I'm sure) that it would be a much better world if people donated the money they spend on Christmas lights to charities that help the less fortunate. In addition, imagine how less the draw would be on the world power grids, thus saving a bit for when we really need the juice. Just saying that it seems rather odd to cover one's house with Christmas lights.
However, I have seen the little Italian blinking versions do wonders for perking up the interior of an old refrigerator.
Who puts blinking lights in a fridge? :confused: Was it some sort of Duchamp style 'found art' creche?

Sometimes less is more. I like alot of lights if its the clear white ones and they out line a house and stuff in the front yard. I once used 3 different sizes of lights but got old and got tired of doing this all in the cold by myself so now I just put up a wreath and put up garland on the railing with bows and some lights.
I'd do more if people on the block would also decorate but if my block is normal only 5 percent of the houses decorate at all. There may be 3 or 4 houses total actually put up lights and a few more put up greens with no lights.
Deno, don't be a follower, be a leader! :cool: You deck out your house from top to bottom and I guarantee you others will follow. :yup: Throw down the decorating gauntlet and someone will pick it up. This country thrives on competition; and no one wants to be the last one to jump into the deep end of the pool.

Yeah, it's just you. LOL!!!
Seriously, though that would be a novel idea, but America is deeply rooted in nonsensical tradition and if we stop lighting up our homes for the holidays and spending outrageous amounts of money on electricity and whatnot...

THE TERRORISTS WIN.
Amen! :damnit1: If I can save just one life with a senseless electrical display of American excess, then I feel my civic duty has been done. :usa2:

B_Austin Blue

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm trying to decide which style of christmas light to hang on the balcony railing. I'm thinking a frosted glass multi-coloured light would work best.