The Obsession With Comparisons....

R

returnofseht

@returnofseht Always good to see a member of intelligence and promise make him / herself known . . I hope this is your first of many postings

Thanks, Ronin001!

The notion that comparison is “natural” for human beings (but not animals, it seems) is definitely worth pondering. And “comparison” is an extensive activity. It’s certainly not just about dick size. In fact, a person can take pride in comparing himself or herself favorably—to those who compare dick sizes. It’s a dialectic...

Anyway, thx for posting. Food for thought...

You're totally right. The dialectic is a complicated one, for sure. I would even argue that the notion of comparison extends to animals in that it's the basis for mating in purely primal and instinctual way.

Over the years I've watched this and other sites like it change. It's the pervasiveness of social media and technology and how they drive social expectations. Information is simply more accessible.

Reactions: 1850231 and 2163431

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Man, I’ve had a stiff Skinny Bitch (thanks to my wife) and I’m in no mood for a lovefest so I’m going to go troll somewhere else. Thank you very much

Nosuportneeded

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Interesting and refreshing

I can’t help but observe that women (who have been the object of comparison perhaps more than men; to each other, to objects, and to ideals—by mostly men) are the selected audience for this commentary on the ridiculosity of men’s need for transparent and shallow comparison

StrongNThick

Legendary Member
Media
Manhattan Beach (California, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Comparing is bad and I still find myself doing it after knowing it’s bad. I’ve even thought about taking my pics down because I don’t want people comparing. Agreed this site is in between a sword fight and comparing contest. But there are a few diamonds in the rough

R

returnofseht

Interesting and refreshing

I can’t help but observe that women (who have been the object of comparison perhaps more than men; to each other, to objects, and to ideals—by mostly men) are the selected audience for this commentary on the ridiculosity of men’s need for transparent and shallow comparison

I debated which forum in which to write this. The more I considered the dynamics of obsessive comparison, it seemed more fitting to post here. There's an element of external validation from women, specifically, that's unavoidable. It's always felt to me that projecting expectations onto people came predominantly from the straight male community, but maybe I'm wrong.

Questions like "what do women want," "does size matter," and "which is better circumcised or uncircumcised," didn't originate from women; at least, I don't think that they did. For the most part, it appears that women simply answer the questions honestly, or dishonestly to protect someone's ego or to not hurt their feelings, and then the debate rages within the straight male community. With the gay friends I've had, the comparison thing is more about fun and embracing difference than it is about something being better. That's a seismically fundamental difference.

So the obsessions with comparison felt like an extension of a "women's issue" topic.

Spartan727

Legendary Member
Media
Colorado Springs (Colorado, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think I lost my former self sometime yesterday!!
Everything is still in physical tact. I didn’t know there was a apparatus that females could use to pee standing up, I was gifted one lmao, little did I know I’d actually be thinking of using it. Omf- goodness my hamstrings ugh... it’s a good hurt but that potty thing hurts... ugh.

Reactions: g0nz0

Spartan727

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Life improves significantly when you figure out that the only valuable comparison is between your current self and your former self.
Life is going to improve in three days in time for the next former - current - future self the Trifecta
I might be attending a AAA meeting

Reactions: g0nz0

Spartan727

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I debated which forum in which to write this. The more I considered the dynamics of obsessive comparison, it seemed more fitting to post here. There's an element of external validation from women, specifically, that's unavoidable. It's always felt to me that projecting expectations onto people came predominantly from the straight male community, but maybe I'm wrong.

Questions like "what do women want," "does size matter," and "which is better circumcised or uncircumcised," didn't originate from women; at least, I don't think that they did. For the most part, it appears that women simply answer the questions honestly, or dishonestly to protect someone's ego or to not hurt their feelings, and then the debate rages within the straight male community. With the gay friends I've had, the comparison thing is more about fun and embracing difference than it is about something being better. That's a seismically fundamental difference.

So the obsessions with comparison felt like an extension of a "women's issue" topic.
My answer to what matters, what do I want as a member of the female population.

I am Jewish so circumcised was what I thought the norm was. However of course it’s not the norm and I really have no preference. Just be clean please. As far as size goes... this is a touch subject as I have learned so please understand I answer honestly. (One of the things I have been told through out my life is I really do answer straight forward honest. Most of the time ppl don’t think where the responses could take them. I will show you which cow eats the cabbage.) Hope that bunny trail makes sense. I have had one time in my life where the (erect) size was below 2” and I couldn’t. He to this day is a amazing friend.
I have had average that was amazing and below that was amazing. And then the 9” that was amazing as well. I prefer girth. I’m not a pillow princess, I will not lay there and let my pleasure be all up to you. There’s two ppl and we both have a role here. My pleasure depends on how much I want it. That’s being honest . There are other things that are factors too, speaking of arousal. That’s different for everyone.
As far as external validation I’m more about the personality. I’m not mean I’m sincerely honest.
I hope that helps!!!

Yes with age and experience we learn what we like more and enjoy it’s the wisdom of communication as we get older.

Reactions: g0nz0 and BigdongSE

Nosuportneeded

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Yes. I have no question about thread relevance

I find men’s comparison to be in line with their (typically) concrete thinking. We want all to be black and white and measurable

The validation is real. Women are the dick test. What’s my score? Why is it lower than his? Numbers; give me numbers

Reactions: returnofseht

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think what gets overlooked is men's experiences in adolescence, in that I think two crucial crossroads tend to send men down the path in some degree of obsessive comparison..
1st, I think mothers and female relatives(especially of only male children) tend to place a pedestal beneath them that if not reconciled becomes an impossible, maternally established eschelon forever trying to be reached.
But what I think happens more often than not is for men during boyhood, is our first obvious or overt positive attention from an opposite sex peer typically comes after a moment or event of distinction that sets us apart from our same sex peers. I for, example garnered very little of girls' attentions until I was taller than most of my male classmates and peers. I think most Western patriarchal thinking likes to wallow in the tallest, strongest, richest, biggest dick arguments, but I think reality and experience expands it to anything that sets us apart , or more often, above the men around us is typically what will garner the most women's attentions. Could be the smartest, the most sensitive, the distinctly artistic, the emotionally open, while all good and desirable qualities, to name them implies comparison to other men whom do not measure up, as it were.
Even the "boy next door" trope encapsulates the idea of him being "All American" and high achieving, not necessarily appreciating another cog in the machine. It makes me wonder how or if women in a place like Japan(which socially encourages conformity) in their younger years, are more positively receptive to less distinctive male peers.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes. I have no question about thread relevance

I find men’s comparison to be in line with their (typically) concrete thinking. We want all to be black and white and measurable

The validation is real. Women are the dick test. What’s my score? Why is it lower than his? Numbers; give me numbers
Attraction doesn't work like that though. The validation is a lie.

Nosuportneeded

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Attraction doesn't work like that though. The validation is a lie.

I should have said the validation seems real. I agree with you

Also, one can get validation from attraction, yes, but I was just talking about validation of the narcissistic, “hole in your soul” type folks. They get validation purely from being more or bigger or “better” as they would say

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The validation is a lie.
Heaven may be a lie, but that hasn't stopped it from being the inspiration behind numerous good works. I agree seeking such a shallow validation in of itself will do little to nothing good for a dude, but I think more than a few use such a unattainable goal as the motivation to better themselves in real and palpable ways, which by in large tends to attract more women's attentions.
It's not just a comparison against other men; but comparisons against past versions of ourselves, versions that had been rejected before. Some of us were fortunate enough to see this comparison play out amongst the very girls that had no previous interest; most just assume a different woman can act as a stand in.
I still say it goes back to early childhood..our first female archetype is usually the only one we percieve that loves us just the way we are, the rest of adolescence and adulthood tends to reinforce our worth is based only upon our rank/position amongst potentially "better"men

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Heaven may be a lie, but that hasn't stopped it from being the inspiration behind numerous good works.
Mostly it inspires self-loathing and war. So, I guess it is similar.

I still say it goes back to early childhood..our first female archetype is usually the only one we percieve that loves us just the way we are, the rest of adolescence and adulthood tends to reinforce our worth is based only upon our rank/position amongst potentially "better"men
Why don't these experiences teach you that you do not actually know if the women with whom you are merely acquainted actrually ARE those archetypes? Why doesn't childhood teach you to pick your wounds and move the fuck on with someone else (or solo)? And do men not know that therapy is for helping you get past early trauma and hurtful paradigms?

I should have said the validation seems real. I agree with you

Also, one can get validation from attraction, yes, but I was just talking about validation of the narcissistic, “hole in your soul” type folks. They get validation purely from being more or bigger or “better” as they would say
You have completely misunderstood me. I will rephrase and elaborate. Attraction is not like solving a math problem. I've neever observed living for the ideals of others doing much good for an individual. Mostly it is self-loathing, insecurity, unnecessary suffering, and often unkindness to others that is see. The destination, be that sex, attention, a relationship, or something else is fine, but that route of desperation for validation may not be the best path.

Catharsis

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Mostly it inspires self-loathing and war. So, I guess it is similar.

Why don't these experiences teach you that you do not actually know if the women with whom you are merely acquainted actrually ARE those archetypes? Why doesn't childhood teach you to pick your wounds and move the fuck on with someone else (or solo)? And do men not know that therapy is for helping you get past early trauma and hurtful paradigms?

You have completely misunderstood me. I will rephrase and elaborate. Attraction is not like solving a math problem. I've neever observed living for the ideals of others doing much good for an individual. Mostly it is self-loathing, insecurity, unnecessary suffering, and often unkindness to others that is see. The destination, be that sex, attention, a relationship, or something else is fine, but that route of desperation for validation may not be the best path.
I have found that someone else telling me their opinion about me makes no difference if I don't believe it myself.

And if I do believe it myself then I don't need anyone else confirming it for me.

Catharsis

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I’m sure that just sounds arrogant. Wink wink
Well, it's not exactly what I intended. As it relates to this thread, if someone just tells you that you have the biggest cock ever, you'll either believe it (you already know and don't "need" to be told that) or not (in which case you have some other, underlying issues that AlteredEgo mentioned). By the way, I don't think there's anything wrong with giving compliments but they should be honest.

As my friend always said, may he rest in peace, "instant gratification takes too long."

The notion that comparison is “natural” for human beings (but not animals, it seems) is definitely worth pondering. And “comparison” is an extensive activity. It’s certainly not just about dick size. In fact, a person can take pride in comparing himself or herself favorably—to those who compare dick sizes. It’s a dialectic...

Anyway, thx for posting. Food for thought...

Pretty ugly, but my guess is that humans and many animals are naturally "status seeking." Comparisons are integral to that.

Reactions: 2163431

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lots of questions...lol
1st.."Why don't these experiences teach you"..you basically stated the universal human condition so I don't even know how deep I want to delve down that rabbit hole.
"Why doesn't childhood teach?" Conditioning is a cruel mistress. Most boys are conditioned to a repressing binary existence when it comes to their relationships with girls and subsequently women, specifically when it comes to them crying or expressing discontent; in that the only positive path really advertised is that of taking accountability of said crying or discontent. To simply move on, or go solo is acceptance of failure.
"Do men not know therapy" most men and boys get the jist or face the reality very early on, that conventional methods of therapy offer very little but to expose weakness and inflict pain when coupled with societal expectations. Though obviously we benefit from an inequity of consequence, I don't think your posed question would be all that different then me asking, "Do women not know about self defense and strength training?" when they talk about their past traumas and hurtful paradigms.