The True Average

paul.

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you search around to find out what the average size errect penis is, you will find that opinions differ greatly, from 5-8 inches infact.

What I would like to know is, what is the true average? If anyone has an idea of what it is, then please post it here, along with a website or sources to back your claim.

Thanks

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
There are a fair number of threads on this site already on this subject, so you can find many references right here. As for anything definitive, good luck. There have been a fair number of studies done, but unfortunately, all of them have had problems with the methodology. Kinsey's is the most famouse. The Hite report from the 70's. The one sponsered by Trojan condoms (it was Trojan, wasn't it?). Studies done by Masters and Johnson. AllI can tell you, is that after reading through various reports, and analysing the various results, the range for approximately 80-90%of all men, regardless of nationality, religion, race, etc. etc., is approximately between 5-7 inches in length. Less data is available for girth, but from what little I have been able to glean, it appears that for the same percentage of men, the average girth ranges from 4-6". The mean value varies from 5-6, depending on the study. A few studies have reported a mean that is lower, approximately 4.5. A totally informal poll I have conducted at various groups, online and offline, seems to set the perception that anything 8" and above is considered by the large majority to be acceptedas "large" or "hung". Greater variance occurs as far as the perception in the 7-8 range. SOme consider 7 large, some consider it barely above average--as faras girth, there seems to be a perception that 6" in girth or above, is considered "officially thick", and in the 5-6" range of girth there is much more varience. I haven;t tabulated the statistical numbers, or figured the sigmas, but the rough estimation is that the sigmafor a mean length of 6" is approximately an inch to an inch and a half, depending on ths study. The sigma or the girth is less, on the order of 0.5-0.75". There are so many westes on the subject of penis size, that listing them here would occupy more bandwidth than the library of congress...:rolleyes: But Google can give you a decent idea of just how much is out there, and most of it controversial. "Hung" is mostly perception. If people tell you you are hung when they see it, then you are hung. If the weight of your penis is a significant proportion of your total body weight, you are hung..:tongue: If you FEEL hung, you are hung, until your ego is bashe by some thoughtless asshole. Ultimately, if your penis brings you satisfaction, and is a positive influence on your ego, then you are hung. IF your penis makes you feel bad, then you need to make it bigger. Not you penis, your attitude about your self worth and just, ultimately, how important the size of your dick is to you as a a human being (yes, I know I am one to talk:rolleyes:). That's my information/understanding/take. Your mileage may vary....:cool:

ddk

Just Browsing
Media
6x5 inches, either of those might be off by 1/4 of an inch. How can sites say between 5 and 7 inches? That's 6.

flypaper

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There are over two billion adult males in the world in 350 + countries.

There will never be a "true" average.

What does this even mean? There is definitely a true average (what statisticians call a population average). And while we can never know the population average with certainty since we can't measure everyone, we can calculate sample averages that come very close to the population average. To do this we need enough people in the sample (not a problem as a hundred or so gives a reasonably good estimate) and we need the sample to be randomly drawn from the population (this is the main problem with the better studies).

I believe the lifestyles condom study and the various urology studies to be the best to date. The lifestyles participants aren't a random sample of men, but it seems reasonable that men with larger penises would be more likely to participate and men with smaller penises would be more likely to opt out. Thus the lifestyles study averages are likely somewhat higher that the population average (in this case we could define the population as college age american males).

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
To get a true average, you need a few things, including:

1) A fairly large statistical sample
2) Accurate measuring standards
3) A means of ensuring the randomness of the sampled group isn't compromised.

1) is easy. Measure 10000 men, and you reduce the chance of error to the point where it stops being statistically significant.

2) is easy to do if you have medical professionals administering the test under consistent conditions. A lot of existing "studies" didn't meet this condition, though.

3) is hard to accomplish. You can't exactly conscript people into having their penises measured. People of certain sizes, ages, ethnic groups, or social status may be predisposed to volunteer or to not volunteer. If you force people to do it, how do you expect them to get an erection? And so on.

So I'm not saying we'll never have an accurate average. But I am saying that just about every study on this subject has been tainted to some greater or lesser degree.

LemacST

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you search around to find out what the average size errect penis is, you will find that opinions differ greatly, from 5-8 inches infact.

What I would like to know is, what is the true average? If anyone has an idea of what it is, then please post it here, along with a website or sources to back your claim.

Thanks
You are way above average in both length and girth. There's no way someone cannot find you "large" in my opinion.

At very best, my size is "average"--although most people would agree that average is maybe a half inch to an inch shorter than mine and thinner, so roughly 6 inches long by 5 around.

drumstyck

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
its been said a million times before that even a study that was flawless on the scientific side might still be flawed on the human side

take every single man on the planet, put them in a controlled environment, have the same person take the same ruler & measure every single one...scientifically that would be the absolute ideal.

the human aspect would screw everything up...what age would you be taking the measurements? some men grow earlier than others, some develop later...
if we're measuring both flaccid and erect, how can you tell whether a penis is completely flaccid? maybe this guy is getting aroused at the thought of being measured by someone, so the blood is pumping, making his limp penis a bit bigger, and making his erect one even bigger...or it could be reversed, if you're uncomfortable being in such a sterile environment, it could cause you to be unable to attain full erection, and skew the results

if you just walked up to men on the street and did a survey, the average would be about 12"...if you did an anonymous survey of men, the average would still probably be 9-10"...if you did a clinical survey in which men were asked to measure themselves with a ruler given to them by the surveyors, most guys would still add an inch or two...if you did a survey where a doctor came in & measured it, the above situations could occur

flypaper

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
drumstyk,

you are leaving out the option of chemically induced erection, which has been used in at least one study.

Baseballfan155

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

Thanks

I have NEVER seen any sites list the average penis size as 8 inches...sites I have seen vary from 5.25" to 6"...which sounds about right.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
6x5 inches, either of those might be off by 1/4 of an inch. How can sites say between 5 and 7 inches? That's 6.

Yes, the average and median of "between 5 and 7 inches" is 6". I think they mean that MOST men fall into the range of 5 to 7 inches. That doesn't mean that the average is six. There could be far more fives which would lower the samples average. There could be far more sevens which would raise it.
I had always heard for years that 6 to 7 inches (probably closer to 7) was the average length. This was from older people I talked with when I was a teenager. Not just from my classmates who could have been belitteling me.
Not until I recently read some factual studies on the Internet did I learn the
average was less. I thought I was below average for years.

contortionist

Sexy Member
Media
I would think that guys who claim the average size is about 5 by 5 (give or take half an inch) WANT it to be that because THEY are about that size themselves. There's nothing wrong with that but I've never met anyone who thinks this is a true 'average'. I'm no expert but a length of 6 to 6.5 seems about right and a girth of about 5.5 to 6 '' would be reasonable. Pull a tape measure round any dick and you can make it whatever you want but a loosely held tape only reading 4.5 HAS to be a bit slim.

Scott8361

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I would think that guys who claim the average size is about 5 by 5 (give or take half an inch) WANT it to be that because THEY are about that size themselves. There's nothing wrong with that but I've never met anyone who thinks this is a true 'average'. I'm no expert but a length of 6 to 6.5 seems about right and a girth of about 5.5 to 6 '' would be reasonable. Pull a tape measure round any dick and you can make it whatever you want but a loosely held tape only reading 4.5 HAS to be a bit slim.

Yeah... I am a bit over 6" long and 4.5" around and that seems slimmer than average to me. I believe average girth is much closer to 5" around. Definitely NOT 4.5"!

jettorca

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
See the wikipedia article on human penis size. (Note that the self-measurement studies produce the higher averages.)
Academic and scientific studies

• A study published in the September 1996 Journal of Urology concluded that average erect length was 12.9 cm (5.08 in) (Measured by staff).[6]
  • A study published in the December 2000 International Journal of Impotence Research found that average erect penis length was 13.6 cm (5.35 in) (Measured by staff).[7]
Sample of college students on spring break

• A study conducted by LifeStyles Condoms during 2001 Spring Break in Cancún, Mexico, found an average of 14.9 cm (5.9 in) with a standard deviation of 2.1 cm (0.8 in) (Measured by staff).[8]
Self measurement surveys

• An Internet survey performed by Sizesurvey.com found an average of 16 cm (6.3 in).[9]
  • An Internet survey performed by Jackinworld.com found an average of 15.6 cm (6.1 in).[10]

Fire Stick

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Statistical precision is difficult in many scientific or academic endeavors. In regard to "average" penis size, I think it is a matter of obtaining an accurate approximation. The more scientific studies I have ever seen referenced on this subject corroborate with one another that the average length of the erect human penis measures somewhere in the range of 5.5 to 6 inches. Of course, as a numerical figure, the "average" can be misleading is that it is affected by outlying data, i.e., by very large or very small measurements in the population sample. Accordingly, I have read some studies that attempt to address this issue by describing the "typical" erect penis to be somewhat smaller, somewhere between 5 and 5.5 inches. From a layman's perspective, I would say that between 5 and 6 inches is a petty good call.

There is fairly good discussion of this topic on Wikipedia.

Human penis size - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a frequency chart, according to one study in the Wikipedia article.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Is there truly a global average? It seems to me it would have to be a global average range. Maybe I've seen too many documentaries with naked men running around but there would seem to be a global average range like from 5 -7 or something like that. Maybe globalization has flattened the range, but there are still tall tribes and short tribes around.

I may be the village idiot on this but it still seems like on a tall man seven inches may be average while on a short man five inches may be average. This site is about the outliers. Yet I know that like boobs, dicks are secondary sexual characteristics and do not necessarily fit into the average range of proportion like other body parts.

Do we have to discuss body size when we're talking dick size?