U.S. Political Debaters

Quite Irate

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
You know who you are. :tongue: We've all seen these presidential campaign posts, and argued between Obama, Clinton, and Mccain ad nauseum. Now I want to know - without looking it up, can you name your:
local rep?
state rep?
local selectman/city councilor?
congressman?

I'm interested in how much of this is pretension.

D_Kaye Throttlebottom

Experimental Member
Media
Right, but I actually know (and I'm living in France). By the lack of response, I don't think that many people do. Or they think I smell.
Not that you smell. It's not an incendiary issue ... or someone's local reps don't affect them unless they live in the same area (unless that is what your aim was - to find out more about where we are from).

I know without looking who my reps are - they suck. They try to pass taxes on to us without debating it on the house floor by our elected representatives - by suggesting the Transportation department passing "fees" on us isn't a tax. Judge shot that down "call it a fee, but it's clearly a tax" and state constitution states only elected representatives of tax payers can pass taxes. So we're getting refunds, (supposedly).

I don't have a councilor I have a mayor. (Saw the deputy-mayor 2 months aago. The mayor is on every god-damn committee out there).

so governor - yes
congressman/state rep- yes (not a bad guy, his staff is slower than I'd like, but they are responsive)
mayor - yes

I think that's enough for me to vouch that I'm not frontin'

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You know who you are. :tongue: We've all seen these presidential campaign posts, and argued between Obama, Clinton, and Mccain ad nauseum. Now I want to know - without looking it up, can you name your:
local rep?
state rep?
congressman?

Local Congressperson 4th Barnstable district Massachusetts: Sarah Peake
Local Senator: Rob Oleary
Local Selctman: Mary-jo Avellar
Congressman: William Delahunt
Senators; Kennedy, Kerry

Next question?

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
local rep?
state rep?
congressman?

No, I can't, I'm too busy bashing other politicians and embarassing myself by being as petty as those whom I'm trying to outsmart and force my political beliefs onto. It's like religion, only we have balloons and parades instead of holy books. More civilised, clearly.

Quite Irate

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Not that you smell. It's not an incendiary issue ... or someone's local reps don't affect them unless they live in the same area (unless that is what your aim was - to find out more about where we are from).

I know without looking who my reps are - they suck. They try to pass taxes on to us without debating it on the house floor by our elected representatives - by suggesting the Transportation department passing "fees" on us isn't a tax. Judge shot that down "call it a fee, but it's clearly a tax" and state constitution states only elected representatives of tax payers can pass taxes. So we're getting refunds, (supposedly).

I don't have a councilor I have a mayor. (Saw the deputy-mayor 2 months aago. The mayor is on every god-damn committee out there).

so governor - yes
congressman/state rep- yes (not a bad guy, his staff is slower than I'd like, but they are responsive)
mayor - yes

I think that's enough for me to vouch that I'm not frontin'
The point is that most people seem to treat presidential elections like celebrity events rather than what they really are - political races. Everyone has an opinion once every four years, you know?

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The point is that most people seem to treat presidential elections like celebrity events rather than what they really are - political races. Everyone has an opinion once every four years, you know?

I see your point QI, and I do agree the hoopla frequently has no more gravitas than the MTV video awards. But while Presidential elections are at the end of the day a political race, its a race for the most important job in the world. And the person elected and his or her party does - for better or for worse - direct the national discourse for at least 4 years. So I think those factors weigh in significantly when it comes to the intensity of someone's opinion.

Congressman: Diane Watson
Senators: Dianne Feinstein, Barbara Boxer
Governor: Arnold Schwartzenegger
State Assembly: Paul Krekorian
State Senator: Mark... something
Mayor: Antonio Villaraigosa
City Councilman: Tom LeBonge

amhersthungboi

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Congress: Hodge, Shea-Porter
Senate: Gregg, Sununu
Governor: Lynch
Local reps: Lots of them (NH has a ridiculously large state house)
City council: Yup
Mayor: Yup

Incidentally, in Australia, the member for the area I live in (even though I can't vote here) is Zappia.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
US Senators: Barbara Boxer & Diane Feinstein
US House Representative 9th District: Barbara Lee
Governor: Arnold Schwartzeneger
California Senator District 9: Don Perata
California Assemblyman, Assembly District 16: Sandré Swanson
Alameda County Supervisorial District 3: Alice Lai-Bikter (Vice President of the Board of Supervisors, Scott Haggerty "District 1" President)
Oakland Mayor: Ron Dellums
Oakland City Council District 2 Alderwoman: Patricia Kernigan

Any more questions?

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have neither the time nor inclination to get involved in local politics...though a few recent events that reek of old-style corruption have me reconsidering both.

At the state level, I'm sadly (mis)represented by Congressman John Carter (R) and by GOP Senators John Cornyn (douchebag extraordinaire whom I'll try to unseat in November) and Kay Bailey Hutchison (prototypical good ol' boy).

The state's been under the moron rule of Rick "Good Hair" Perry ever since the other moron got promoted to Washington, DC...the Peter Principle in action if I've ever seen it. :rolleyes:

D_Kaye Throttlebottom

Experimental Member
Media

I suppose, that's one way to look at it.

I think the presidential race gets more heated, because it covers more people, all 50 states.

I don't really expect someone living in Colorado to get vested in what the mayor in DC is pushing.

Though your question has been addressed previously, those that look at just the presidential ballot versus stay to vote for the other races, sheriffs, local reps, district attorney, etc.

D_Kaye Throttlebottom

Experimental Member
Media
I have neither the time nor inclination to get involved in local politics...though a few recent events that reek of old-style corruption have me reconsidering both.
that's basically what got me paying attention to our local officials. When they said our property taxes were going up, even though our property values went down. I showed up for that town hall real quick like.

That and the 2500 civil penalty tax for speeding 20 mile over the speed limit - automatic class 1 misdemeanor reckless driving. It's a little severe over here. They've repealed the civil penalty tax, after it was getting abused w/in 4 months that it was enacted. 1,000 fine for a guy going 18mph in 15mph on his bicycle. It's nuts out here.

amhersthungboi

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Congress: Hodge, Shea-Porter
Senate: Gregg, Sununu
Governor: Lynch
Local reps: Lots of them (NH has a ridiculously large state house)
City council: Yup
Mayor: Yup

Incidentally, in Australia, the member for the area I live in (even though I can't vote here) is Zappia.

Sorry there, typo as I look back it ... the NH House delegation are Hodes and Shea-Porter. Sorry about that.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I live in a Town of 3000 in New England and we have government by "open town meeting".....once a year we meet as a town and vote on all town spending and policy decision......It's 4 hours a night over 4 nights......We have a very dedicated electorate......citizens can "petition" articles for town meeting by collecting 10 signatures of voters....For example here's an article of our upcoming Spring Town meeting:
Article 27.Bring the Troops Home. To see if the Town will vote as follows: Whereas, Congress has the sole responsibility to allocate funds, and; Whereas Congress is the check to the Executive branch of government which is prosecuting the illegal occupation of Iraq, and; Whereas a majority of American citizens call for an end to the war in Iraq, and; Whereas, $480+ billion of taxpayer money has already been spent on this war without end in sight, depriving us of necessary funds for education, housing, healthcare, support for returning veterans, reparations to the people of Iraq, and for other vital human needs, We therefore call upon our Congressional representatives to vote only for funding for a safe and rapid withdrawal of all U.S. troops from Iraq. The Town Clerk is instructed to send a copy of this resolution to Senator Edward Kennedy, Senator John Kerry, Representative William Delahunt, Senator Harry Reid, Representative Nancy Pelosi, and President George W. Bush; or to take any other action relative thereto.[Requested by Barbara Rushmore and others]

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
or the board of selectman can place articles directly before town meeting. Here's one we have to vote one:
Article 18. Amendment of Community Preservation By-Law. To see if the Town will vote to amend Section 5-14 of the Town By-laws, the Community Preservation Committee By-law, by inserting the underlined language in Sections 5-14-1 and 5-14-2-4, as follows:
5-14-1 Membership of the Committee. There is hereby established a Community Preservation Committee, consisting of nine (9) voting members pursuant to the provisions of G.L., c.44B, §5 and Section 298(f) of Chapter 149 of the Acts of 2004, as amended. The composition of the committee, the appointing authority and the term of office for the committee members shall be as follows: one member of the Conservation Commission as designated by said Commission; one member of the Historical Commission as designated by said Commission; one member of the Planning Board as designated by said Board; one member of the Recreation Commission, as designated by the Commission; one member of the Provincetown Housing Authority as designated by said Authority; one member of the Provincetown Community Housing Council (PCHC) as designated by said Council; one member of the Open Space Committee as designated by said Committee; and two individuals to be appointed by the Board of Selectmen. Each member of the Committee shall serve for a term of three years or until the person no longer serves in the position or on the board or committee as set forth above, whichever is earlier. Should any of the officers and commissions, boards, or committees who have appointing authority under this by-law be no longer in existence for whatever reason, the Board of Selectmen shall appoint a suitable person to serve in their place. Any member of the Committee may be removed for good cause in accordance with Section 10-2-1 of the Town Charter.

5-14-2-4 In every fiscal year, the community preservation committee must recommend either that the legislative body spend, or set aside for later spending, not less than 10% of the annual revenues in the Community Preservation Fund for open space (not including land for recreational use), not less than 10% of the annual revenues in the Community Preservation Fund for historic resources; and not less than 80% of the annual revenues in the Community Preservation Fund for community housing; notwithstanding any other provision of this by-law, however, if more than 10% of the annual revenues in the Community Preservation Fund are needed to pay debt service for open space borrowings undertaken pursuant to the Cape Cod Open Space Land Acquisition Program (the “Land Bank program”), the community preservation committee may recommend that such funds be spent for such purposes, and provided further, that if more than 80% of the Community Preservation Fund annual revenues are needed to pay debt service for open space borrowings undertaken pursuant to the Land Bank Program, the community preservation committee shall recommend that any remaining annual revenues be split between affordable housing and historic resources purposes.

And further, by deleting the text of Section 5-14-6 in its entirety and inserting in place thereof, the following:
Provided that Section 298 of Chapter 149 of the Acts of 2004 is accepted by the voters at the November 4, 2008 state election, the amendments to Section 15-4 approved by the Town at the 2008 Annual Town Meeting shall take effect upon approval by the Attorney General of the Commonwealth and after all requirements of MGLc. 40, section 32 have been met.
or take any other action relative thereto.
[Requested by the Board of Selectmen and the Town Manager]

amhersthungboi

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I live in a Town of 3000 in New England and we have government by "open town meeting".....once a year we meet as a town and vote on all town spending and policy decision......It's 4 hours a night over 4 nights......We have a very dedicated electorate......citizens can "petition" articles for town meeting by collecting 10 signatures of voters....For example here's an article of our upcoming Spring Town meeting:
Article 27.Bring the Troops Home. To see if the Town will vote as follows: Whereas, Congress has the sole responsibility to allocate funds, and; Whereas Congress is the check to the Executive branch of government which is prosecuting the illegal occupation of Iraq, and; Whereas a majority of American citizens call for an end to the war in Iraq, and; Whereas, $480+ billion of taxpayer money has already been spent on this war without end in sight, depriving us of necessary funds for education, housing, healthcare, support for returning veterans, reparations to the people of Iraq, and for other vital human needs, We therefore call upon our Congressional representatives to vote only for funding for a safe and rapid withdrawal of all U.S. troops from Iraq. The Town Clerk is instructed to send a copy of this resolution to Senator Edward Kennedy, Senator John Kerry, Representative William Delahunt, Senator Harry Reid, Representative Nancy Pelosi, and President George W. Bush; or to take any other action relative thereto.[Requested by Barbara Rushmore and others]

Only in New England, right? I recall that recently Brattleboro, VT voted to charge G.W. Bush and Cheney with "crimes against humanity", and to arrest them on sight if they enter the town.

Has your town ever considered moving to a town or city structure?

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
local rep?
state rep?
congressman?

Tom Lantos (RIP)
Jackie Speier (running now for aboves seat)
unincorporated, don't have a "city" anything

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
quote=faceking;1388708]Tom Lantos (RIP)
Jackie Speier (running now for aboves seat)
unincorporated, don't have a "city" anything[/quote]

Speaking of... I have a bizarre fetish to give Jackie a good 9-rope Faceking money shot...

she took 5 bullets at Jonestown... she can certainly then take 9 funkin gmoney shots on that Armo-grille of hers...
http://www.motherjones.com/news/qa/2005/07/speier_265x288.jpg[