What car should I buy under A$40k?

NoH8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So I just saw a lovely 2007 BMW 325i in Black with camel leather, woodgrain, stunning 17" rims with 68k km on it. Then I thought about a used Golf GTI. Then I thought about an Audi A4 quatro wagon. Then I thought about a brand new Holden Berlina Sportwagon with free leather & rear camera on 18" rims.

I can borrow about $38,000 and it will be a 5 year lease. What car should I buy? (The car has to be good for work and weekends).

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Unless you are over six feet tall, a Hyundai Elantra GT has lots of luxury leather and good gas mileage. Otherwise get a hybrid. Sonata is coming out in hybrid. I have been driving Hyundais for a decade and they are pretty damn good, don't rust out like a VW.

NoH8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Go for the BMW, but go for a more powerful engine like the 335i
Love mine everyday.
I'd love the 335i but it doesn't come in under budget. :frown1:

As for the Hyundais it's an interesting counter argument to spend the money on something else that I'd enjoy instead of driving, but in my case my work pays for the lease and if I don't use the money it will be taxed outrageously.

I've driven Hyundais as rental cars and the build quality has improved. Even the styling of the new i45 is quite good (except for the damaged looking grill) however I do enjoy driving too much to sacrifice that pleasure.

Last edited:

NoH8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dodge charger SRT-8 are sexy cars the 2008 is under 40k it has a v8 engine and it purs as you take it on the highway, its comfortable n comes with 20inch rims.
BTW I love your naaaaame! I can imagine serving you with cream and chocolate sauce. :wink:

The SRT-8 IS a sexy car and the V8 is very cool. It looks so GANGSTA on 20" rims. I must admit 2 years ago I wanted one so bad, but now I'm afraid the style may date prematurely. However, here's a question: would it beat any of my first mentioned cars in a straight line quarter mile? (Obviously it would beat the Audi and the Holden but what about the BMW 325i or the Golf GTI?)

Media
BTW I love your naaaaame! I can imagine serving you with cream and chocolate sauce. :wink:

The SRT-8 IS a sexy car and the V8 is very cool. It looks so GANGSTA on 20" rims. I must admit 2 years ago I wanted one so bad, but now I'm afraid the style may date prematurely. However, here's a question: would it beat any of my first mentioned cars in a straight line quarter mile? (Obviously it would beat the Audi and the Holden but what about the BMW 325i or the Golf GTI?)

Thank u lol.... the SRT8 has 425 horsepower and it goes from 0-60 in 6.0 seconds so my opinion hands down it will beat the Bmw but thats my opinion and well u know I have one and Ive left a few cars lookin at my dust as they tried racing me on the highway LOL... I guess they think Im a girl and dont know how much power Im driving but I do know :wink:

NoH8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Thank u lol.... the SRT8 has 425 horsepower and it goes from 0-60 in 6.0 seconds so my opinion hands down it will beat the Bmw but thats my opinion and well u know I have one and Ive left a few cars lookin at my dust as they tried racing me on the highway LOL... I guess they think Im a girl and dont know how much power Im driving but I do know :wink:
I like the "Thelma & Louise" eat my dust attitude!

What do you think of the hot version of the 300C V8?

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I'd love the 335i but it doesn't come in under budget. :frown1:

As for the Hyundais it's an interesting counter argument to spend the money on something else that I'd enjoy instead of driving, but in my case my work pays for the lease and if I don't use the money it will be taxed outrageously.

I've driven Hyundais as rental cars and the build quality has improved. Even the styling of the new i45 is quite good (except for the damaged looking grill) however I do enjoy driving too much to sacrifice that pleasure.

I have the Hyundai with the rack and pinion steering and the stick. Whatever amount you spend, those are a must.

Remington

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

However, here's a question: would it beat any of my first mentioned cars in a straight line quarter mile? (Obviously it would beat the Audi and the Holden but what about the BMW 325i or the Golf GTI?)

Stock, the GTI, yes. BMW, probably.

The Charger is a solid 13 second car in the right hands.

If you could find one, I'd go for an Audi RS4 or a Cadillac CTS-V. Both powerful, can run 12's in the quarter, handle nicely, reliable, stylish, practical, and get decent fuel mileage.

I must say, this is coming from a hardcore gearhead (Owns a Z06, Camaro SS, and a Viper). So those might be a bit too much for the "average" person.

Pandora77

Cherished Member
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is it about speed or about quality. Cause if it's about quality I would go for either a BMW or an Audi. Then again maybe I am a little biased being from Bavaria.......

Media
I like the "Thelma & Louise" eat my dust attitude!

What do you think of the hot version of the 300C V8?

I love the 2012 body style it looks hot but the other models Im not to crazy on them they just look so uncomfortable.. but u have to get a car that speaks to you if thats the Bmw you want then I say go for it because in the end you r the one who has to drive it and u need to love it.

NoH8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hey boys and girls, I know you're ALL gonna hate me for saying this but in the end I bought the Holden Sportswagon. I decided to buy brand new rather than an import second hand. I also wanted a wagon with a flat load area that I can lie down full length to "sleep" in when I'm on camping trips or vacations at the beach which I am doing right now. I even bought a small car refrigerator which is great at keeping the food and drinks cold, (under $200)!

With respect to my other criteria, yes, the Holden is dead slow by comparison to all the other cars mentioned above except the Hyundai and the hybrids. But, there are several buts, it's economical for a big car, has a great 6 speed auto/sport/manual mode transmission, handles like a sports sedan rather than a family wagon and has very accurate steering, (though not "sports car fast" steering).

The Bluetooth audio and CD Ripping and iPod integration is the best, though the 7 speakers could be better quality.

It's easy to park with a reversing camera and parking sensors and looks cool on 18" ten spoke alloy rims with a very dark tint job & silver paint.

So, I compromised: Score "A" for practicality, "A" for price, "B" for style, "B-" for economy, "B+" for handling, "A" for transmission, "C+" for performance and power.

I guess my left brain ruled over my right brain or vice versa. If I had gone the other way I would have chosen the BMW 325i which I probably would have scored thus:

Score "B-" for practicality, "B" for price, "A" for style, "A-" for economy, "A+" for handling, "A" for transmission, "A" for performance and power.

So if I keep the wagon for 3 to 5 years I'm thinking my next car might be a 2 or 3 year old Mercedes C250? What do you think?

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yep
a Holden in Aus ha wise choice
plenty of parts available . kidding
love the Holdens

Mimi Coupe,be good if in the Uk ha
going by the way they make em, on that Megafactories program.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm anxious to hear what you have to say about the Holden Sportswagon... There are several members here who know quite a bit about automobiles (I am not one of them) I posted this in another thread. I have had the best luck with Mercedes and Honda.

In order I've owned a...
Mercedes
Ford
Datsun
Mazda
Ford
Cadillac
VW
Jaguar
Mercedes
Honda
Mercedes
I've have been the happiest with the Mercedes, however I will reconsider the recommendations next time.

M

Mr Ed in Mass

You could have bought a Yugo and given it a wild $37,950 paint job.

D_Sal_Manilla

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So I just saw a lovely 2007 BMW 325i in Black with camel leather, woodgrain, stunning 17" rims with 68k km on it. Then I thought about a used Golf GTI. Then I thought about an Audi A4 quatro wagon. Then I thought about a brand new Holden Berlina Sportwagon with free leather & rear camera on 18" rims.

I can borrow about $38,000 and it will be a 5 year lease. What car should I buy? (The car has to be good for work and weekends).

you can't really aks this question to people. you have to list everything you will do with the car. Will it be your main car? recreational car? will you use it for work along with shopping?

then you have to list what you need and want. do you need the moon roof? do you want heated leather seat?

I have a 2012 Toyota Venza. I love that car. its perfect for what i need it. I use it for school and to drive around in the city but its not the car i would use for when I visit my parents at their summer home in the mountains.