Where do you get your news?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Just wondering where most people get their news since the decline in newspaper readership today.

I think I get mine mostly through news/talk radio stations while driving in my car. Google news comes a distant second.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
AM:

Turn on the Today Show for some "light" news as I get ready to go to work. Occasionally turn on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" for a bit of socio-political banter (I have a bit of a crush on Mika Brzezinski).

Listen to news on the radio (NPR) while driving to work.

Surf the internet for news while at work :)redface:)--MSN, Google News, and innumerable other internet "news" sites.

PM:

Possibly more NPR on the drive home. Or music depending on what my soul needs.

Post-dinner and before bed: turn on some CNN for some news coverage, perhaps MSNBC for a wee bit of some more "slanted" viewpoints.

Weekends:

Ideally, a few hours with the Sunday New York Times.

Failing that, I'll peruse whatever other rag I get my hands on.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
TV
Al Jazeera, till the people canned it in NZ, after 3 years only of 24hr operating.
Govt wouldnt support it continuing, wants people to go to there freeview, me thinks
BBC from 2-5am ,wi 1/2 an hour of Dianne Sawyer ABC is it, 11p each night
or local stuff, obscure-ish 1 hour in-depth local chanel 8p

Google News on internet
No Newspaper purchases

News hound me, hah ..
BBC World news radio service only, 24hrs when on Island, purpose brought powerful radio......also ABC Australias, National radio.

someone1

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
BBC or Al Jazeera for international news; they've been amazing keeping up on the whole 'arab spring' thing

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Flipbook
TV- Al Jazeera or France 24 mostly. EuroNews and sometimes CNN.
Internet- The Guardian, AP, Reuters, CNET

LargeSide

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
From LPSG, where else?

I, too, get a lot of information from Facebook. A lot of news publications will post big stories there. I also can see top stories on the mainpage of Yahoo.

Believe it or not, I still read paper newspapers. We have a campus paper that also talks about the town we are in, as well as cities around it. I also find copies of WSJ that I leaf through when I find time

OhWiseOne

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I move around to different ones on the net. If I'm on the road I will listen to talk radio depending on the time of day.

But in reality I hate the news. I'm more of a Discover, Military, History, H2 channel kind a guy.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
News doesn't interest me. Anything important or interesting, I hear about through a friend etc. So much of it is politics-based - politics bores me. I have a passing interest in politics, but really it's all very simple and repetitive. In crude terms, someone is left, someone is right and someone is in the middle. 'Left' decides on something and some of their following dislike this decision. The same happens with 'Right'. 'Left' and 'Right' dislike everything about the opposing side, but fail to show their feelings and leave (at least some of) their following frustrated. The remainder is split into two factions. The first will blindly follow for no good reason, while still hating the opposing side. The second would rather not follow anyone, but felt the need to choose a leader and complain about every decision made. As a result, 'Left' and 'Right' try to please every individual following them, meaning everyone is unhappy with an action. The left following would have liked a more left-like decision and the right following would prefer a more right-like decision. Everyone in between is unhappy about something, no matter how small. Simply because, you can't please everybody.

It doesn't matter what it is, it's all the same. In football, for example - the people in charge decide to change the design of the football and this makes someone unhappy. That means another person feels the need to defend the new football and a debate begins. Soon, one team shows support for the new ball - triggering the opposite reaction in fans of the other team, just because they have a rivalry. The sad thing is that most would rather just enjoy the game, but are dragged into a pointless debate. It goes on and on. The news just informs us of this pattern over and over again. Wars have happened because of it and to a lesser extent, everything down the chain is wrongly-poisoned by differing opinion. If one channel (or a presenter on that channel) is biased against something, another will feel the need to defend their beliefs - feeding the cycle. I accept that there are news stories that state fact without silly debate. For example, "Cancer cure found." That's lovely. However, there's always someone in the background claiming that we shouldn't mess with nature and should leave everyone to die. Or, someone claiming their country found the cure etc. Then there's all the non-issue celebrity stuff. I find it dull. When interested, I need to do my own research and filter-out the rubbish - meaning the news people needn't have bothered. I would like the facts to be presented so that I may form my own opinion, rather than it being influenced by an individual or organisation. Well, that's my opinion. :tongue:

bobg4400

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I get most of my news from either journals, bbc and the wikipedia "current events" page. I know that wikipedia is supposedly not a reliable source but given that it always links to newspaper articles of the news I'd say it's pretty reliable.

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Newspapers: Globe and Mail and The Washington Post, mostly. But I also read a lot of online news sites that bring together pieces from all kinds of newspapers and magazines.

Magazines: All kinds of them. The New Yorker a lot, The Atlantic, Harper's, Maclean's, The Walrus (both Canadian), etc.

Television: Mostly CNN and CBS, as well as Canada's CBC.

When I've heard that something interesting has happened, I often go to Google News and do a search. Often get very comprehensive stuff.

Actually, I feel like a mindless addict and intend to cut back on all this input. I hardly remember 90 percent of it. I'd like to read less stuff, more deeply. And a lot more books.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
is like the early-early edition, Mr. Earllogjam.
all the news before it's news.
*counts earlys* maybe an extra early with a really good chicken.