• i used to

Votes: 33 21.4%

• Total voters

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
what about alcohol? all these people who protest against pot, then go home and poor themselves a nice big glass of wine or pop an ambien to go to bed? hows it any different? some people just dont understand that it is possible to smoke weed and not be a burn out i guess. do these people approve of alcohol because it is something theyve tried and like, or do they approve of it because it is legal? legality does not go hand in hand with morality, and morals are only culturally relevant

Not me. I've never smoked pot or used any other illicit drugs. I've never been drunk, and I don't drink any alcohol.

You are correct about morality and legality. Also, everyone justifies what ever it is that they do, or want to do. What they do is okay, but what others do is not okay. I guess this is just human nature.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Not me. I've never smoked pot or used any other illicit drugs. I've never been drunk, and I don't drink any alcohol.

You are correct about morality and legality. Also, everyone justifies what ever it is that they do, or want to do. What they do is okay, but what others do is not okay. I guess this is just human nature.
Smart man. I was however not smart and did everything.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Talking about marijuana, I think everyone should stay informed as to what is now being revealed by current science and research.

Marijuana is not physically addicting.

I don't care what current science and research says, but this is bullshit. Marijuana is one of the hardest drug addictions to kick.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual

I've never taken any illegal drug either.

I rarely drink alcohol.

mind7

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I suppose I am the exception that defines the rule. Like I said earlier, I've been smoking for eight years now. In that time frame I've never missed a deadline at work, enrolled and completed a bachelors degree while working full-time. Read both the Bible and the Torah and then read the Theory of Evolution. Denied the existence of God that was a 15 year search. Then came out of my shell accepted myself for who I am, stopped being so damn negative and became a more outgoing person. During that time frame I also tried the entire line of drugs, some more than once, others numerous times. Why? Just wanted to know what they were like. Addicted to any of them? Short of that nasty nicotine addiction of mine, nope. Will I continue to smoke the rest of my life? I cannot possible respond to that question. It has worked so far but tomorrow is always different.

Does it destroy brain cells? Why yes it does. Wanna know what else destroys brain cells? Damn near everything. Will that make you stupid? Only if you allow it. Will you become lazy and fat? Sure, if you wanted that to begin with. No drug, no opinion, nothing can influence you unless you want it to. You go in thinking you'll be an asshole, addict or a loser you will be one.

As to the other argument going on about pot legalization. Taxes have nothing to do with it at all. You need to look back in to the earlier part of last century at the start of the legislation to ban pot. You'll noticed it has nothing to do with THC but rather hemp. Hemp is a wonderful product that can be used in a multitude of things that are currently being brought to use via petrochemical products. Yes I know, half of you just labeled me as a hippy and went skipping off in your wonderful world of ignorant bliss. Let me just say that it isn't about smoking it, that is just one small use of pot, the one piece everybody focuses on. This little plant can grow just about anywhere, doesn't need crop rotation, and can rebuild destroyed fields. The textile industry would benefit as well but other more profitable resources are in use there. Anyway, research this please, move on past just smoking if you want a real chance of legalization.

To wrap it up, if you don't like pot, that is your personal opinion and I totally respect that. Everything isn't for everybody all of the time. For me it works very well. A suggestion to some of you who expressed interest in smoking but do not enjoy the smoke, look into alternatives such as food or vaporizing it. You do not put your lungs at risk, get a better high out of and most of the time you will avoid the lethargic side-effects of your run of the mill dirt weed found at your local kiddie-dealer.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
and then trying to body surf some big waves is even better...

lol

I tried getting stoned and body surfing with some of my buddies off the harbor entrance at the Santa Cruz marina. We got munched by the waves and nearly run over by yacht owners. Stupid asses. Us...not the yacht owners. :smile:

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't care what current science and research says, but this is bullshit. Marijuana is one of the hardest drug addictions to kick.

I severely disagree. I've done it cold turkey after months of heavy smoking with no problems. It simply takes the fortitude to say no. I quit last summer after a freshman year of smoking heavily simply because I felt like it, and didn't want to smoke while home. I did it again after this past semester, and probably won't go back, but short of simply having the will to say no, it's been easier than quitting drinking or smoking cigarettes for me. I was severely addicted in each case (thought not a true alcoholic), in that I never really reached the point of saying no, but once I decided I wanted to reach that point, it has never caused a problem physically for me with weed, where the others have left caused me much more discomfort. The day after I decide seriously to stop smoking I never have had any difficulties. Where I have had cravings for cigarettes and occasionaly feel like I really needed a drink, I never felt physically that I needed a toke. Calling multiple scientific studies that confirm the inference to be made from that (marijuana's addicitons are almost purely psychological) bullshit is bullshit.

open501s

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I use to smoke a lot of pot.

I would be smoking a joint w/ a buddy and about 1/2 way through they would be passed out.

One day I woke up and realized I was tired of being stoned all the time and stopped.

That was 3 or 4 years ago; been around it but haven't smoked.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Calling multiple scientific studies that confirm the inference to be made from that (marijuana's addicitons are almost purely psychological) bullshit is bullshit.

maybe for you buddy, but I just did a quick google search and found multiple articles and studies that say it is. And maybe it wasn't as hard to kick as cigarettes or alcohol for YOU, but for many others it is a hard addiction to kick. Check out celebrity rehab with Dr. Drew, he talks about how it is one of the most difficult addictions to get rid of. And a lot of times, when someone kicks the weed habit, they just pick up the cigarette or booze habit. So in reality they never really kicked anything. I would be willing to bet if some of the burners on here stopped smoking weed for a couple days (if that would be even possible) they would start getting headaches, or some other symptom. And you were "severely" addicted to drinking but not a true alcoholic? What the fuck is that then?

Long-term marijuana abuse

Laboratory studies have shown that animals exhibit symptoms of drug withdrawal after cessation of prolonged marijuana administration. Some human studies have also demonstrated withdrawal symptoms such as irritability, stomach pain, aggression, and anxiety after cessation of oral administration of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), marijuana's principal psychoactive component. Now, NIDA-supported researchers at McLean Hospital in Belmont, Massachusetts, and Columbia University in New York City have shown that individuals who regularly smoke marijuana experience withdrawal symptoms after they stop smoking the drug.

Studies at Columbia University in New York City have demonstrated that, in addition to aggression, marijuana smokers experience other withdrawal symptoms such as anxiety, stomach pain, and increased irritability during abstinence from the drug. "These results suggest that dependence may be an important consequence of repeated daily exposure to marijuana," says NIDA.

mind7

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
maybe for you buddy, but I just did a quick google search and found multiple articles and studies that say it is. And maybe it wasn't as hard to kick as cigarettes or alcohol for YOU, but for many others it is a hard addiction to kick. Check out celebrity rehab with Dr. Drew, he talks about how it is one of the most difficult addictions to get rid of. And a lot of times, when someone kicks the weed habit, they just pick up the cigarette habit. So in reality they never really kicked anything. I would be willing to bet if some of the burners on here stopped smoking weed for a couple days (if that would be even possible) they would start getting headaches, or some other symptom.

I've had breaks here and there. I've never had any withdrawals and if a headache was apparent I am sure it had to do with staring at computer screens for hours on end vs. lack of pot. My personal experiences do not prove you wrong, just my experiences.

What I don't understand is the link between giving up pot and picking up smoking. You say we didn't kick anything? Is it the physical smoke that is addictive? All these years of studying and smoking and I never realized that the chemical makeup of pot and cigs are the exact same thing and cause the exact same negative and positive effects. Where do you get these cigarettes? I want some :biggrin1:

open501s

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Check out celebrity rehab with Dr. Drew, he talks about how it is one of the most difficult addictions to get rid of. And a lot of times, when someone kicks the weed habit, they just pick up the cigarette habit.

I respect Dr. Drew a lot.

I am really surprised by the quote above.

Like I said, I just woke up one day and realized I was tired of being stoned all the time. I didn't smoke ditch weed ... it was fine weed.

I didn't pick up another habit or chemical addiction.

I always thought masturbation or television was more addictive than weed.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've had breaks here and there. I've never had any withdrawals and if a headache was apparent I am sure it had to do with staring at computer screens for hours on end vs. lack of pot. My personal experiences do not prove you wrong, just my experiences.

What I don't understand is the link between giving up pot and picking up smoking. You say we didn't kick anything? Is it the physical smoke that is addictive? All these years of studying and smoking and I never realized that the chemical makeup of pot and cigs are the exact same thing and cause the exact same negative and positive effects. Where do you get these cigarettes? I want some :biggrin1:

I'm not really sure you understand what I am saying. Instead of me trying to explain again I just googled marijuana and cigarette addiction and a number of articles came up, here is one for you Marijuana Smokers Face Nicotine Addiction

And for those of you [or us] who did kick weed with no problem, kudos, but understand just because you did does not mean there aren't thousands of people everywhere who just don't simply have the "fortitude to just say no", and that maybe you weren't dependent on it in the first place. But for those of us who have friends that smoke weed everyday, all day, we know better. I may have done cocaine a couple times in my life, but had no problem never doing it again. However, I will not be so ignorant to then say that it is a non-addictive drug.

Dr. Drew Pinsky is an M.D. and has been specializing in Addiction and Chemical Dependency treatment at Las Encinas Hospital for about 20 years, if I'm not mistaken. And if you watch the first episode you can hear what he has to say on marijuana addiction.

some more reading:

Psychiatric Times

Medscape article on "Marijuana Withdrawal Syndrome".
"Using DSM-IV criteria to rate the dependency level of these patients and comparing it with those dependent on cocaine was revealing. Heavy marijuana users had on average 6.3 out of 9 criteria compared with 7.7 for cocaine users.

"You only need three to meet dependence. Although the dependence is lower than cocaine, its still pretty substantial," Dr. Budney said."

red7.5

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm neither ashamed nor proud to admit I'm a twenty six year member of Club 420.

When I was younger it was all about getting high. Wasting time, laughing, music, hanging out....

Now its a relaxation thing, for sure, but it's also, contrary to what is generally considered the norm, a motivator. About time to mow that lawn? Paint the bathroom? Stack a cord of wood? Go grocery shopping? I know what I'm doing first.

And I'm not alone. There are millions of us really. Parents and lawyers and judges and... (hell, I'm ripping off Peter Tosh).

Of course, it's still about getting high, too. :smokin: