Why??

Why?

• Everything happens for a reason.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Shit happens.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Shit happens (and sometimes for a reason).

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I believe everything difficult that has happened in my life has made me a better person. No one can control the things that happen in life, but we can control how we respond to them, we can make the choice to let them bury us or rise above them and learn...even if the lesson we derive from them is not known initially.

This is a really quaint concept, but I think it's one that shows the hubris we have as privileged members of 1st world countries in a time of relative prosperity.

Plagues, disease, desperation, senseless violence, and suffering on a massive scale aren't things we have to endure in most of the Western world. On the other hand, these things are commonplace in certain areas of the world today and were once commonplace in every part of the world. Very few of us, even the very poor, have to worry about whether we will starve to death or face our our entire family and community ravaged by disease or violence.

It's a very nice thing to believe and it's wonderful that your life has been so lucky as to not break you irreparably.

There are plenty of things even in our world that I can't ever see making one stronger-- like the death of a child or a lot of illnesses that we still can't adequately treat. There are things that no one can rise above and learn something from.

D_Joseba_Guntertwat

Experimental Member
Media
feelthegirthRe: Why??
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafever [URL]http://www.lpsg.org/images36/buttons/viewpost.gif[/URL]
To me, a great question would be; Are our memories copied to our dna to help us survive

Not this again. The answer is no.

How can you make such an infinit answer as no, where would you get such an apiffany, and what thesis do you have to back this up since there`s still so much to learn about the human brain relative to our dna? Are you in some medical journal that i don`t know about?

lafever

Perhaps you could answer the same question. By what unknown mechanism do you suggest this can happen, and why do you believe so firmly in something which goes against accepted science?
We do know a lot about DNA and to a lesser extent about how the brain works. Enough to say that although it's not impossible for something that happens during a person's life to affect their DNA in a random way, it is extremely unlikely that a memory could be stored and passed on like that.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is a really quaint concept, but I think it's one that shows the hubris we have as privileged members of 1st world countries in a time of relative prosperity.

Plagues, disease, desperation, senseless violence, and suffering on a massive scale aren't things we have to endure in most of the Western world. On the other hand, these things are commonplace in certain areas of the world today and were once commonplace in every part of the world. Very few of us, even the very poor, have to worry about whether we will starve to death or face our our entire family and community ravaged by disease or violence.

It's a very nice thing to believe and it's wonderful that your life has been so lucky as to not break you irreparably.

There are plenty of things even in our world that I can't ever see making one stronger-- like the death of a child or a lot of illnesses that we still can't adequately treat. There are things that no one can rise above and learn something from.

Well, I guess it is my "quaint" concept of life that has enabled me to learn from the experiences in my life that you, my dear, know NOTHING about. I guess in all of my "quaintness" I have been hiding under a rock...yes that must have been where I was when I was raped at knife point, when my dear friend was murdered and dismembered, when my oldest daughter was raped, when my brother died...oh, but here is the clincher...I must have been under a huge boulder when my beloved little girl fought for her life and died two years ago October 9th! Just because I choose to see and learn from the horrible things that I will never understand (including your post) does not mean I have had a "lucky" life and you would do well in your future not to make such assumptions of others! Everyday I get up out of bed is a day I AM STRONGER!

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Things happen for a reason! Not a specific reason however. My computer is on for a reason. I turned it on.The world is tumbling with no one controlling it,but that does not mean there isnt a reason for its random tumbling.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I believe we are given the ability to help others and solve problems...this is our design ...be it God given or otherwise...we have yet to live up to the ability .

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
There are they who say everything happens for a reason.

Everything happens for a reason? Man, I don't believe that for a moment.

I really don't want to believe in a God who would cause a car accident to painfully break several of the vertebra in my back to teach me some lesson. Before the accident I was already grateful for the good health I once enjoyed. I miss that health now. No lesson in that.

Bad shit happens, to be sure, and people can learn from bad experiences, but I don't think tragedies happen for a reason.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Things happen for a reason! Not a specific reason however. My computer is on for a reason. I turned it on.The world is tumbling with no one controlling it,but that does not mean there isnt a reason for its random tumbling.

I think you're confusing "cause" and "reason" - or at least, "reason" as it is typically applied by those who believe in the saying (i.e. manipulation by some sentient/divine being).

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Either you've misinterpreted my post or I've misinterpreted yours.

The meow I take to mean you think I've taken a catty swipe, but the post was meant as a play on words to mean that while we entertain the notions of fate and destiny, both fate and destiny are in turn highly entertained by us.

Do I really need to use smileys in every post to indicate when I'm joking around?

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Either you've misinterpreted my post or I've misinterpreted yours.

The meow I take to mean you think I've taken a catty swipe, but the post was meant as a play on words to mean that while we entertain the notions of fate and destiny, both fate and destiny are in turn highly entertained by us.

Do I really need to use smileys in every post to indicate when I'm joking around?
Nah sorry I was playing too. No claws came out. :)

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, I guess it is my "quaint" concept of life that has enabled me to learn from the experiences in my life that you, my dear, know NOTHING about. I guess in all of my "quaintness" I have been hiding under a rock...yes that must have been where I was when I was raped at knife point, when my dear friend was murdered and dismembered, when my oldest daughter was raped, when my brother died...oh, but here is the clincher...I must have been under a huge boulder when my beloved little girl fought for her life and died two years ago October 9th! Just because I choose to see and learn from the horrible things that I will never understand (including your post) does not mean I have had a "lucky" life and you would do well in your future not to make such assumptions of others! Everyday I get up out of bed is a day I AM STRONGER!

I'm very glad you've found a way to deal with your misfortunes, and I admire people that are able to cope with such adversity in their lives in way that is positive and not negative. I think it's good for you that you can look at things this way because it obviously helps you.

With that said, yes, it may make you stronger, but I can't see how the suffering of your friend and small child made them any stronger or helped them in any way. I simply feel awful that as humans we have to suffer capricious and needless pain and deaths. Therefore, I can't look at suffering as a good thing that strengthens people. I've seen too many people that have been killed or irreparably broken from horrific experiences.