Worth It?

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Tight_N_Juicy, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Tight_N_Juicy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Do you think it's worth it? The time we spend discussing our issues here?

I get frustrated by the hatred, and the ignorance, but I think there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Even if what we say here doesn't change anything significantly in the immediate, I like to think that there's someone reading who takes away a positive message from the conversations had here.

There are almost always hateful people who will try to tarnish the discussion... And I give them too much attention sometimes. I'm not posting in hopes of changing their minds, I realize how unrealistic that is. I post for those who may be reading and don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. I'm giving a stern perspective for the sake of opening minds that are willing to grow.

goudy, MisterB, grifter07 and 23 others like this.
  2. Tight_N_Juicy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Is it all a huge waste of time?

3. Fade

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think, at least to a point that it is worth it. Even if the particular dunderheads who want to spew their hatred and ignorance never grow/change. I know there are people who read threads in this section, though they may never post. That isn't to say I think every word to fall from the lips of anyone is gospel truth or a priceless tidbit of wisdom, but there is a lot of good discussion that happens here (and in AaW). It isn't every thread or every post, but it's there all the same.

Mule, MisterB, PringlesGuy and 14 others like this.
  4. SoaringSpirit

Gold Member

Of course it's worth it. To be able to disguss & share, thoughts, experiences etc.
    I ignore the negative, stay far away. It's a choice. We as women should buikd each other up & be supportive of each other.

Heck we can agree to disagree, without it becoming personal. No one is perfect.
    So an emphatic YES ':)

MisterB, roryjack, gmannen and 12 others like this.
  5. palakaorion

palakaorion Well-Known Member

(sheepishly raises hand)
    Creepy lurker, guilty as charged. I know I've certainly had my horizons broadened. Both by the scintillating conversation, and by observing other Y chromosome specimens react.

I hope y'all decide to continue.

6. Mule

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It's not worth it if your objective is to change your interlocutor's mind. The saying that I've been holding on to recently is, "You can't add water to a glass that is already full." Reasonable people are open to listening to opposing positions and possibly changing their mind if presented with convincing evidence. The trolls that interject their toxicity into LPSG threads are not these people. It's both futile and pointless to try to argue with them with the aim of changing them.

However, reasoned responses serve several other purposes. They place a stake in the ground that says, "Oh fuck no. You don't get to say that without pushback." They also show what we're made of to one another. They help us all feel less inundated by the tide of sewage. They sometimes make us laugh. Most importantly, they bring us together.

7. Fade

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I don't think it's creepy. Not innately, anyway. I read all of the Ask a sections. A lot of it is repetitive and/or wank fodder, but so is a lot of the shit that is in AaW :p

8. LaFemme

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think so. I’m obviously not a “fighter”, but I do state my point. I know I’m not going to change the poster’s mind, but someone reading might see another side to the story.

Debate is good, even if it does get a bit ugly. It exposes weakness in arguments and makes the reader think. Anyone can find “proof” for their side. Even flat-earthers have “proof”. One just has to be brave enough to look at the opposing proof, evaluate it honestly, and then argue based on honest analysis or accept that you were in error. This is incredibly difficult. One also has to evaluate their own evidence.

Anyway, it’s still worth it. There are issues affecting us and we need to shed a light on them. We can’t let people tell us they don’t exist because it doesn’t affect them. It’s our truth. We live it everyday. While we can find plenty of research and proof, many times we are the evidence.

9. vibrationzzz

Gold Member

Albums:
    I remember the days...and I'm not a huge drinker. When you walked into a bar and the place was packed, alive with conversation, not loud music....Pubs were once the place for discussion, nothing was ever out of bounds.

if one sat and listened in, they could hear conversations of Mick and his Missus, Or over in that corner it was Cheryl and Liz discussing the guy they had sex with the night before. The place was abuzz with every type of discussion, from political to personal...........

Now, those places are dead. No more live conversation anymore, no looking people in the eye, humour lost in written word.

Human interaction relegated to type only...........I think we are much the poorer for it.

We all read books......we always perceive the characters in those books to our own imaginations.
    Such is the web....we are weaving it...Me thinks we'll find ourselves trapped in it...well some.

#9 vibrationzzz, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  10. EllieP

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I share my point of view. This is for informational purposes only. I am not trying to change minds as much as educate or illuminate.

Open-minded individuals will digest the information in different ways. Closed-minded people will deride and disgust. I would prefer not to engage them because their minds will never be changed, expanded or enlightened. They would much prefer to live and wither in their little dark corner.

Is it worth it here? It's worth it to me to share ideas. Once a thread devolves, like one I started last week, I abandon it to the wolves. Why? So that I can identify the wolves and avoid them in the future.

MisterB, dlfellow, roryjack and 15 others like this.
  11. Tight_N_Juicy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I often get accused by those who want to disrupt the threads in this section of "having to have the last word". Not just recently.

Well I (or any of the other ladies) fucking own the last word when it comes to Women's Issues in the section of this website that is in fact dedicated to WOMEN'S ISSUES. Yes, men are welcome to participate here. That isn't an invitation to shit all over what we have to say about things that affect us.

Any of the ladies here have the right to talk over you if you're here to dismiss our perspective about the things that do in fact impact us in our day to day lives.

The fact that they feel compelled to repeatedly tell us that our own experiences and perspective is invalid for the sake of saving their own egos tells me that they in fact don't respect me specifically because I don't have a penis.

So, go ahead. Complain about a woman having the last word on a topic that she deals with regularly in her life.. it says so much more about you than you ever wanted anyone to know.

12. Tattooed Goddess

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You're fighting the good fight. I did it for many years since 2007. Sometimes you just have to pass the torch to someone else to defend us around here. You're experiencing a normal lpsg woman burn out.

13. ItsAll4Kim

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    It's not just women.

14. Enid

Gold Member

Albums:
    My home is wherever reality seems elastic and the
    I think it's worth it. It's worth it to state our piece when the mood strikes anyway. @Mule said it really well, most of the time you know ya ain't gonna change these people's minds. But it's WORTH IT to give some pushback because they should know there IS pushback to their shitty "opinions" which are just thinly disguised misogyny, sexism, victim blaming. Fuck that noise.

MisterB, dlfellow, bubkas and 10 others like this.
  15. BacknForth

BacknForth Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I couldn't agree with this more.

Certain "men" attempting to act as gatekeeper to women's issues is getting tiresome.

If the men who actually participate in this forum ever naysay... That stops me in my tracks and will really make me think.

The men who only enter this forum to naysay? I have no desire to entertain their opinions. On anything.

Mule, MisterB, AlteredEgo and 6 others like this.
  16. sodominsane

sodominsane Well-Known Member

For what it's worth....reading "the good fight" in this forum provided my you ladies has definetly effected by opinions and behaviors

Short examples....I never realized quite the sexism wand even hatred till I watched this forum

I have replaced girls chicks and dames from most of my vocabulary....and repaced it with women.....still slip up from time to time when really fond of someone....(boyfriend/girlfriend feels more natural)

I have reduced my mansplaining.....I say reduced cause I still do it a lot...but it's mainly cause I am really like the sound of my voice

So rock on.....you wount ever reach the knuckle heads....but you reach more people than you think

17. lurker23

Gold Member

Albums:
    So much of this resonates:

Scarletbegonia and Enid like this.
  18. englad

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Allow me to present an analogy:

If someone stoops down, pulls their jeans down and starts to shit in the middle of the park on a busy sunny afternoon. You tell them off for doing so. Now, someone who is nasty enough to shit in the middle of a public park on a sunny afternoon, is probably beyond hope. BUT if you reprimand them sternly for it, you might just embarrass them away from shitting in that park again. And others will be pleased to see someone standing up for basic decency and respect for others. There will always be bystanders who didn't have the gumption to say something, who will respect you for it.

I think this holds true for the online world as well. Even though it may look like a conversation between two people, there's almost always a gallery observing. Focus mentally on the gallery, fuck the hateful idiot you're arguing with.

An often misattributed quote is good for this (just replace men with people):

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing."

MisterB, lurker23, ItsAll4Kim and 4 others like this.
  19. Italian10inch

Italian10inch Well-Known Member

I appreciate a frank women’s point of view very much. I will admit I’m as straight as straight can be but a also appreciate the gay, male and female, pint of view too. The human story is as diverse as the number of stars above. Sure there are patterns but endless variations. Thank you for your time. I invite people to mail me to start conversations on any topic.

AlteredEgo and Tight_N_Juicy like this.
  20. TinyPrincess

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sometimes I feel exactly like that and are within inches of leaving and then some guy messages me describing how a post created a reality check for him - and I'm drawn right back into it.

MisterB, roryjack, ronin001 and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice