Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
That's just it. If the father were distraught about this, what would his choices be? Either get torn apart by the media for not having a politically correct reaction, or ironically be forced to hide HIS feelings. I still say this was a dramatic and self serving move. Of course, I also still say he's not particularly attractive, and I know neither why people keep insisting that he is, nor why anyone feels it's a relevant point for discussion.

Last edited:

EdWoody

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You're ignoring the fact that the son had the choice whether to upload the video or not. It's not like this was live streaming - it was a recorded message that the son could choose to upload or not based on the father's reaction.

BBB2.5

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This video was great. You could see the fear in this young guys eyes. I know some of you think it was wrong for him to upload this personal moment between the two of them. Perhaps you are right, but it also shows the world how difficult it is to come out. It shows how scared some people are when this actually occurs. He was brave, and I hope the best for life for him and his family.

Frnkd213

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
You're ignoring the fact that the son had the choice whether to upload the video or not. It's not like this was live streaming - it was a recorded message that the son could choose to upload or not based on the father's reaction.

For all we know he may have asked his father's permission to upload onto YouTube. In fact, given his very respectful tone towards his father, I'd say the odds are better than even.

Exactly my thoughts. It turned out well and decided to share it, I imagine after a call back to dad that he would do that.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
The biggest homophobes in our society are often non-religious people.

If sexuality is just a small part of our lives, then why do videos like this need to be done? Why are there "public" confessions of being gay in order feel liberated? Obviously with whom we are sleeping is no small concern LOL.

B_Nia88

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

If sexuality is just a small part of our lives, then why do videos like this need to be done? Why are there "public" confessions of being gay in order feel liberated? Obviously with whom we are sleeping is no small concern LOL.

because many in society still have issues with homosexuality and/or transgenderism

MeinTeil

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
People in the military often don't have a choice but to share big news over the phone.
Fair point. I wouldn't recommend it simply because in my personal experience, I did not get the best results when coming out over the phone.

Exactly my thoughts. It turned out well and decided to share it, I imagine after a call back to dad that he would do that.
And if the dad was in on it, then all my hesitations melt away. I have no idea what happened, but the dad deserved something ahead of time along the lines of "hey Dad, I've got some big news to tell you about myself, do you mind if I record our call on video and possibly later upload it to YouTube?" If so, then bully for both of them. I just don't like getting ambushed, and I imagine the dad doesn't either.

Frnkd213

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

I Sense disgust, jealousy, envy, or denial. Don't get me wrong but celebrating and feeling good about someone overcoming a challenge in their life however way it's presented- public protest, sign waving, bumper sticker, blog, YouTube, LPSG or whatever venue is not so much reflective of the person celebrating but the person observing. Discounting and dismissing the intent of this young soldier tells me several things:
-Disgust that gays exist: this is blunt but hey it is what it is if it is!
-Jealous that he accomplished what he wanted to do and got the support that he did.
-envious- that he could do this, or his family (dad in his case) supports him
- denial of your own sexuallity- I know it's no one business etc, etc rhetoric, but denial is a strong motivation to avoid and leads to "unhappiness", regret and guilt.

Of course this based on my experience dealing with people who are jealous, disgusted, and envious because of their denial of their life situation and are stuck in a cycle that can be destructive in their relationships, community, and themselves.

I hope this is not the case.

travis1985

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I have no idea what happened, but the dad deserved something ahead of time along the lines of "hey Dad, I've got some big news to tell you about myself, do you mind if I record our call on video and possibly later upload it to YouTube?" If so, then bully for both of them. I just don't like getting ambushed, and I imagine the dad doesn't either.
I agree. The dad was being put on the spot anyway, and recording it was an insensitive addition to the situation, whether his intent was to publish it or not. And since this video is part of a series, it seems it was. And since he verbally gives the date as September 20, while youtube's record show it was published on the 19th, any asking of permission to publish it was apparently done very much on the spot as well. The evidence just doesn't look like this was done with much consideration for the father's feelings.

Last edited:

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

travis1985

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
No, it wouldn't have happened at a Democratic debate. But ask a question touchy to many Democrats at their debate, and a lot more than two or three people will boo. You have to take the context into consideration; misusing the event to imply half-truths that fit your agenda just hurts your credibility.

uncut1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think I agree with Dave Nocal,either his dad could have bin told ahead of time.
Or maybe he decieded to upload it because it went well. I don't think he did it without the dad knowing it somehow. Theres alot of love and respect there.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
I Sense disgust, jealousy, envy, or denial. Don't get me wrong but celebrating and feeling good about someone overcoming a challenge in their life however way it's presented- public protest, sign waving, bumper sticker, blog, YouTube, LPSG or whatever venue is not so much reflective of the person celebrating but the person observing. Discounting and dismissing the intent of this young soldier tells me several things:
-Disgust that gays exist: this is blunt but hey it is what it is if it is!
-Jealous that he accomplished what he wanted to do and got the support that he did.
-envious- that he could do this, or his family (dad in his case) supports him
- denial of your own sexuallity- I know it's no one business etc, etc rhetoric, but denial is a strong motivation to avoid and leads to "unhappiness", regret and guilt.

Of course this based on my experience dealing with people who are jealous, disgusted, and envious because of their denial of their life situation and are stuck in a cycle that can be destructive in their relationships, community, and themselves.

I hope this is not the case.

If that boy wants to tell the moon he's gay, then he should do it (if it makes him feel that much better). But what we share with the world cannot be taken back! So should he not believe he is gay anymore in 20 years (his sexuality happens to evolve), the world won't believe him (our society just hasn't come that far with regard to human sexuality, nor will it do so most likely in the next decade or two). In mainstream society, the "once gay, always gay" rule applies.

I get the argument: gays and lesbians believe that the more people come out of the closet, the more society will have to give in and accept the behavior. Fair enough. But when do we draw a line? In other words, when is too much information too much information? Is privacy no longer a basic human right?

I'm not going to tell the world that I get off on bragging about my big dick. Society doesn't need to know that.:biggrin1:

Frnkd213

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
If that boy wants to tell the moon he's gay, then he should do it (if it makes him feel that much better). But what we share with the world cannot be taken back! So should he not believe he is gay anymore in 20 years (his sexuality happens to evolve), the world won't believe him (our society just hasn't come that far with regard to human sexuality, nor will it do so most likely in the next decade or two). In mainstream society, the "once gay, always gay" rule applies.

I get the argument: gays and lesbians believe that the more people come out of the closet, the more society will have to give in and accept the behavior. Fair enough. But when do we draw a line? In other words, when is too much information too much information? Is privacy no longer a basic human right?

I'm not going to tell the world that I get off on bragging about my big dick. Society doesn't need to know that.:biggrin1:

I agree about when do we draw the line, take music videos as an example. remember that Imus incident with the Rutger basketball girls, him making a racial statement. this was followed by an Oprah show about black women and stereotypes and how hip hop and rap music artist and producers, for money, exploit the sex in their videos which sells.

We unfortunately live in a time when information their forever in cyber space and forever accessible. And, the generation today will regret it in the future as these images start popping up conveniently used for political or whatever reasons.

I believe this generation will be one of regret. Similarly to the pop culture of the 70 and 80 with aids and drugs etc. However lucky that no phone cameras where present and proof of one smoking pot, doing drugs, is only in photos that may come up and accessible to only a few. (unless the press gets hold of them and put them on the internet)

BTW its not an issue with gays and lesbians, its with all groups, and cultures, the more exposure the more accepting or disgust depending on who is watching and their perception, it can validate or dismiss attitudes.

I do sense that homosexuality disturbs you. If true well its only you that controls that. If it is not true than so be it and any assumption made I apologize. With a statement "once gay always gay rules apply" if so than it will always be the last words in a losing battle.

PS regarding your big dick, what I would do if I had a dick like yours it sure is a nice one, objectively speaking. However, just don't be one and appreciate the one you have. :wink:

Last edited:

I just finally got around to watching this video yesterday. While I'm not sure it makes for a good public moment (his choice, natch), it was indeed touching.

What I found most interesting was that he mentioned during the call he'd broken the news to his mates as well, and that they were all cool with it. Hopefully this bears out, but see? It's not like straight and gay people can't serve alongside each other.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
the fact that he had sat there for 4 hours was amazing....(and yet he still felt he could call his father at 11:45pm...)