coping mechanisms

D

deleted3782

In fact the only coping mechanism that I have found to work is plain 'not entering situations'... lol... Makes for a boring life, but then rather a boring life than a stressful one I say... :)

Holy shit :eek:, i just realized i don't have an outlet. i just replay whatever is pissing me off on a loop mentally until i find an acceptable solution.

I'm somewhere between these two fine folks. I try very hard to avoid stress in my life, even if that involves extracting stressful people out of my life. Last summer I had a stressful period and I ramped up my calorie burning at the suggestion of my doctor. Another mechanism is thinking. Ever since I was a kid, I've been a big thinker...and like alteclan I need a lot of processing time to think things through until I have a good plan. If I have a plan, then I'm happy and feel back in control.

And I do agree with LUM, rather a boring life than a stressful one.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I'm somewhere between these two fine folks. I try very hard to avoid stress in my life, even if that involves extracting stressful people out of my life. Last summer I had a stressful period and I ramped up my calorie burning at the suggestion of my doctor. Another mechanism is thinking. Ever since I was a kid, I've been a big thinker...and like alteclan I need a lot of processing time to think things through until I have a good plan. If I have a plan, then I'm happy and feel back in control.

Amen!
These days I've learned the hard way that my energy reserves are not limitless and that it's best to pick your battles.
*grins*
I've also discovered that passive aggressive is less stressful than straight out aggression and works just as well.:biggrin1:

sleepiboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My coping is actually working out...my mind is always running and seems to never slow down, and when things are going haywire I work out super hard to slow everything down...Also, I eat a lot.

Smaccoms

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I used to have a plethora of negative coping mechanisms. Now I use music and cooking as ways of getting out of my own head. Nothing like sliding into the hustle and flow of a kitchen, creating, singing and dancing to keep me out of my own head. Helps me empty the negative and refill with the positive.

Thats sounds awesome! I do the same with music, I'd be much more of a mess without University Chorale!

Frnkd213

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
That is disgusting. The man who invented coke zero shoudl be burned at the stake.

coke classic is the only way to go

It may be but when I was introduced to zero and crown, that was totally different smooth and gooood! Better than crown and coke, of course IMO. tryit you may like it.

Digressing but since you brought it up, hmmm what's disgusting?
PEEING IN SOMEONE'S MOUTH MAYBE!!!!!!
how about............SNOWBALLING!!!!!!! Ewwwwwww
uhm........... And just to make fetish people mad ....... SUCKING TOES!!!!!
there, now go for it! Hit me with your best shot!

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I used to have a plethora of negative coping mechanisms. Now I use music and cooking as ways of getting out of my own head. Nothing like sliding into the hustle and flow of a kitchen, creating, singing and dancing to keep me out of my own head. Helps me empty the negative and refill with the positive.

Katy Perry, Abba :shysmile: Britney.. 80s greatest hits.

*shakes rump* sometimes a backbeat is all the world needs.

D_Kitten_Kaboodle

Account Disabled
Media
first: talking it out, I need (and have) a great sounding board who listens without interrupting, only offers advice when asked, and tells me the things I NEED to hear.

second: withdrawal, away from everything. Engulf myself in ME, reading a book, turn the radio on and UP, playing computer games, masturbation...anything that makes ME feel good. There are times when we ALL need to have some alone time.

third: I love to cook and will get in the kitchen and cook/bake up a storm and clean....If I am cleaning out the cabinets and rearranging things, that's a pretty good sign I am stressed or worried about something.

and agree with ML... some good music to move to solves tons of problems... if only for a minute or two, all the world is right.

D_Rufus_D_Dufus

Account Disabled
Media
I'll drive to the beach and just sit in front of the ocean and think or I'll just leave town for a few days.

I try my best not to take things out on other people and it's better if I remove myself from whatever is going on.

Those two things really seem to work for me.

D

deleted3782

One of my turbo mechanisms for coping is watching something like this or this and lip-synching at the top of my lungs. It clears out the funk.

Last edited by a moderator:

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
One of my turbo mechanisms for coping is watching something like this and lip-synching at the top of my lungs. It clears out the funk.

I have that on my Ipod! I sing it loudly and with feeling in my car.

I used to rock out to the Babys when they were on vinyl....and John Waite? still a hottie!

D

deleted3782

I have that on my Ipod! I sing it loudly and with feeling in my car.

I used to rock out to the Babys when they were on vinyl....and John Waite? still a hottie!

Heh cool. This is also a good song to sing to.

Previous edit: How do I lip-synch at the top of my lungs? If I dont know all the words I make them up...while yelling. :biggrin1:

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Heh cool. This is also a good song to sing to.

Previous edit: How do I lip-synch at the top of my lungs? If I dont know all the words I make them up...while yelling. :biggrin1:

Oh, for true! I was such a little club chick back then! I know all those songs and have the Belinda moves to go with 'em.

(I can also walk like Egyptian and be your Venus!)

D_Quartered Pounder

Just Browsing
Media
Anything to take my mind off the subject itself. Could be a plethora of things, surfing the web, MUSIC, working out, laying in bed staring at the ceiling. I guess music and working out are the most significant ones. Or watch cute videos online, usually those always make me chuckle/laugh.

LUM_1986

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

The only problem is Exwhyzee, is that I find EVERYTHING stressful... lol... from thinking too much about something; or too little to going out to buy a packet of ciggies...

So when I said boring I meant BORRRRRRIIIIINNNNGGGGG... lol:biggrin1:

VernalTiger

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Damn... Either I'm obnoxiously well-adjusted or completely in denial. I've never experienced depression, or anxiety, or any other ongoing distresses. Sure, I get sad occasionally, experience anger etc, but I don't get those deep lows - and I don't get the manic highs. A lot of my friends have experienced depression, bipolar, suicidal thoughts and the like, and I'm a great listener, but at the end of the day I have no true understanding of what they're experiencing.

I read through everyone else's coping mehanisms and they're all things I do for enjoyment or necessity (the vanilla ones, anyway). Reading, sewing, music, crochet, TV, internetting and sex are all things I do for fun and relaxation. Cleaning, laundry and exercise I do because they have to be done, and also because I like the sense of accomplishment at the end.

Am I odd for not experiencing that consuming emotional void? Who the fuck knows, but I'm really not complaining too much.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Damn... Either I'm obnoxiously well-adjusted or completely in denial. I've never experienced depression, or anxiety, or any other ongoing distresses.

This is what I thought too before I got hit with a depressive episode that lasted for 9 years, and has left me with ongoing anxieties of various types. I'd had temporary miserable phases before that, but they were just normal reactions to miserable situations - they were not depression. If asked, my family would have been convinced that I would have been the last person to develop mental illness. I didn't appreciate how lucky I was not to have had mental health issues. Nor did I ever think it could happen to me.

This isn't a dig at you, VT :smile:. You just struck a chord with me - you sound just like me pre-depression! Part of me wishes I could send younger-me a message not to get too comfortable. The rest is just glad that younger-me got to thoroughly enjoy the pre-depression period of my life in a way that would be impossible for me now. Now I always have a little bit of fear inside me. A sense of terror that I might one day got back to that depressive place again. I'm glad that younger-me got to exist without that fear.

Apologies for the ramble. And again, not directed at you VT :smile:.

D_Budd_Hert

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have to many Fets to list but Ive bean a " cutter " since I was in High School...... Realizing it's not really a suicide thing but more of a release for me. Thats where knife play and Blood Play come in my life . Feeling my skin cutting open from any sharp object ,bleeding , watching myself bleed . Not so much a rush but I feel like all my problems have bean lifted once I finish off ....Bloodletting ... which is where BDSM comes in .....errrr more like S & M not B & D ...lol