"Definately" Annoying...

I propose a law that you have to be able to spell 'masturbate' before you can do it.

I believe the historical precedent here would be my comment on 8th March 2006:

Masturbate masturbate masturbate

...if you can't spell it, don't do it. :cool:

[source]

The wheels of justice grind slowly, it seems.... but they do grind. Maybe we'll get it into the law books by 2010, which was quite a disappointing sequel to 2001 imho. :rolleyes:
 
Want to know what's sad? I've misspelled almost every single word mentioned in this thread :redface: . Ah well, that's what happens when your giving little boys head in the coat closet instead of paying attention in class :eek: . Seriously though, I have a friend who HATES to IM with me because he is constantly correcting my horrible spelling. He threats making me write the word correctly 100 times the next time we chill together so that I'll remember how to spell it :rolleyes: . Good thing I'm cute, right :biggrin1: ?

Hehe.
 
Prolly is prolly closer to how most people actually say it. Like "gonna," accepted vocabulary in comic books. In that respect, it's actually intelligent transcription.

The substitution of numbers in place of sounds or similar-looking letters does seem a bit queer, though. Even if it doesn't exactly warrant the rupturing of arteries.

Now, how is this subject at all GAY?

:tongue: :cool:

One big thing that I think enables misspelling -- particularly homonyms like "they're", "there", and "their" -- is that all of those words pass unmarked through a word processor program's spell checker.

When kids aren't taught how those words are built (or when they just don't pay attention), then there's no reason anyone can expect them to use the right ones.

"Could of", as in, "This sentence could of been written correctly," is one bastardization that I can't fucking STAND. It makes absolutely no sense. It sounds like "could've", which is obviously a contraction of "could have", and that's a past-perfect-future-whatever tense of the verb "has".

"Of"? "OF"??? How the hell does that word work in this situation? Apart from its sound, I can't even think of an excuse. Ignorance, I guess.

I've ranted about this before elsewhere. When I see professional correspondence, whether it's a resumé, a report from the condo management office, a contract from a landscaping company, etc., that has these kinds of ignorant misspellings and misuse of common words, I seriously wonder if they're going to "dot their i's and cross their t's", so to speak, when they actually do the work that they're being hired to do.

Stuff like that needs to be perfect. Absolutely 100% perfect. Such documents, as a matter of course, and unlike casual messages between friends, are supposed to be reviewed, revised, proofread, and reviewed & revised again before they get submitted. They should leave no doubt that they pay attention to every little detail. When the character of a person or company resides wholly on a piece of paper, they should not give any excuse to be turned down.

Over IM, or in emails between family & friends, I don't worry much about grammar and spelling. It's easier to write correctly in a professional setting if good spelling & grammar becomes a habit, though.
 
It's 'of' as a verb that REALLY winds me up, for example... "I should OF known" instead of HAVE known.... grrrrrrr

Ooooops I see Lee has beaten me to this particular gripe!
 
What gets me (confused...)

Is how someone can confuse 'than' with 'then'.

eg my truck is bigger then his.

:rolleyes:

One thing I don't do though is use apostrophes (on forums) because words sound the same with or without them.

In primary school I used to write 'have course' instead of 'of course'...but I did know the difference between then and than! :tongue:
 
What gets me (confused...)

Is how someone can confuse 'than' with 'then'.

eg my truck is bigger then his.

:rolleyes:

That's an example of a correctly-spelled word not being caught by a spellcheck. I can't count how many times I've seen somebody finish a paper and their only act of proofreading was clicking the "Check Spelling..." function in the word processor's menu. "Then" vs. "than" doesn't get noticed by the computer's spellchecker.

One thing I don't do though is use apostrophes (on forums) because words sound the same with or without them.

They may sound the same, but they don't mean the same thing.
 
Do that many people actually rely on spell check? I've never used it. I certainly won't claim that I never misspell anything, or that my grammar is perfect, but I do try! :rolleyes:

While I'm at it... Am I the only one that absolutely hates the keyboard shorthand that so many people use these days?

:flirt:
 
Am I the only one that absolutely hates the keyboard shorthand that so many people use these days?

No, but I know something worse. I remember a forum with one old guy who insisted on using the abbreviations he'd learned decades ago for use with early teletypes. Nice guy and all, but nothing he had to say was worth the effort of decoding.
 
I'd like to see a script which automatically puts any poster writing "lol" on ignore.

ROTFLMAO

actually the "would of" "could of" "should of" thing bothers me, too. I've seen this error occur in published articles, and it does make no sense at all.
 
What gets me (confused...)

Is how someone can confuse 'than' with 'then'.

eg my truck is bigger then his.

:rolleyes:

One thing I don't do though is use apostrophes (on forums) because words sound the same with or without them.

In primary school I used to write 'have course' instead of 'of course'...but I did know the difference between then and than! :tongue:

For many people, "than" and "then" are homophones. Like "pen" and "pin," "which" and "witch," "merry" and "marry," etc., whether or not you pronounce these words different or the same depends on where you're from and how careful your elocution is.

[edit] "do" and "dew"... another good one
 
Colonel old chap, I do believe that was Johnny Rivers. And the ladd is still with us.

JA, I know Sinatra didn't sing "Secret Agent Man"; I referred to Sinatra because he insisted on articulating every sound in lyrics (e.g., listen to his cover of "Night and Day -- has any other singer pronounced both Ds?). I read that his articulation was one reason songwriters liked writing for him.