"Definately" Annoying...

jewlery


jewelry

ever bodee noez idsz joo-la-ree

(sellabraet dvrsidee)

And penultimate used twice in one thread, (I think that brings to 3 the times I've seen it used by someone who actually knew what it meant) can anyone make up a sentence using the word 'antepenultimate'?
 
Some lax spellings are just annoying; some are downright confusing. It can entirely change to meaning or context of a post.

"I just finished whipping" versus "I just finished wiping." Big difference, that.

You don't have to be a spelling and syntax nazi to want a little bit of clarity.
 
The antepenultimate time that I used the word penultimate in this thread was the also the first time I used the word penultimate in this thread.

Unless antepenultimate means something weird.... as I was just guessing.

According to the built-in Oxford dictionary on my Mac, it means, "last but two in a series; third last."

Found an example: "This book has ten chapters; chapter 8 is the antepenultimate one."

So, "penultimate" is next to last (learned that term in music), and adding "ante-" to a word means the one prior to that... which would make "antepenultimate", in regular Americanese, next-to-next-to last.

;)

Do that many people actually rely on spell check?

Yes, people do. I used to see it all the time in college, although not so much anymore since people don't write that extensively where I am.
 
According to the built-in Oxford dictionary on my Mac, it means, "last but two in a series; third last."

Found an example: "This book has ten chapters; chapter 8 is the antepenultimate one."

So, "penultimate" is next to last (learned that term in music), and adding "ante-" to a word means the one prior to that... which would make "antepenultimate", in regular Americanese, next-to-next-to last.

;)

That's what I assumed. Ultimate being last. Penultimate being next to that. And "ante" meaning before, so, before the next to last item. I was correct.
 
JA, I know Sinatra didn't sing "Secret Agent Man"; I referred to Sinatra because he insisted on articulating every sound in lyrics (e.g., listen to his cover of "Night and Day -- has any other singer pronounced both Ds?). I read that his articulation was one reason songwriters liked writing for him.

Ah, I see. Yes you are quite right. Except all I can hear in my head at the moment is the Joe Piscopo version of Sinatra doing Born to Run...

"Cuz catsss like ussss, baby we are born to run."

Speaking of Sinatra, I just saw this guy live with his quartet on Monday night.
 
The antepenultimate time that I used the word penultimate in this thread was the also the first time I used the word penultimate in this thread.

Unless antepenultimate means something weird.... as I was just

guessing.

Magnificent. (you made my day) Nearly every one who uses 'penultimate' thinks 'pen' in an intensifier, when it means almost. (like penumbra is next to the shadow, and peninsula is almost an island) So you are the second person I've heard use it that knew what it meant. Antepenultimate I've only known to be used to designate the emphasised syllable in a latin word. Thanks!
 
Writing 'definately' would be akin to writing 'finash' instead of 'finish'; although very few people would make the latter mistake.

I really shouldn't talk, though. I only corrected myself a couple of years ago when it came to 'definately/definitely'.

Coming from a non-English speaking country, I've found that a lot of the spelling-mistakes I've ever made derive from bad English-teachers.
Once upon a time I used to write 'beleave' instead of 'believe', but I was never corrected.
Sad, isn't it?...
 
Writing 'definately' would be akin to writing 'finash' instead of 'finish'; although very few people would make the latter mistake.

I really shouldn't talk, though. I only corrected myself a couple of years ago when it came to 'definately/definitely'.

Coming from a non-English speaking country, I've found that a lot of the spelling-mistakes I've ever made derive from bad English-teachers.
Once upon a time I used to write 'beleave' instead of 'believe', but I was never corrected.
Sad, isn't it?...


English not being your first language is a terrific reason to make a common mistake. Last year, I receive a list of words that I regularly misspelled from another member here. While I was certainly chagrinned, I appreciated the chance to learn to correct those things. One was existence, which I spelled existance.
 
Spelling and usage, I'm quite good at, it's that damned punctuation that fucks me up... Semicolons are evil!:biggrin:
 
... whether or not you pronounce these words different or the same depends on where you're from...

Sorry, Nine, but if we are going to get particular about spelling, we might want to be sure we have adverbs describing our verbs rather than adjectives: pronounce differently or the same.

Spelling and usage, I'm quite good at, it's that damned punctuation that fucks me up... Semicolons are evil!:biggrin:

Commas are my downfall, AG: if there is a question on whether to use them or not, I put them in.