Dont write no bad grammar at no LPSG

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by steve319@May 18 2005, 02:41 AM
I forget the other big category...formulaic subjunctive, is it? Traditional sayings like "Be that as it may" or religious usages like "Thy will be done" fall into that category, right?

"Be that as it may" is formulaic subjunctive; "Thy will be done" is an example of conditional subjunctive used as a third person imperative. English doesn't have a first or third person form in the imperative mood, so the subjunctive is used instead.

It depends. American usage seems to be to put punctuation inside of the quotation marks regardless of what the quotations marks are used for.  British usage is a bit different.

Yeah, but didn't conforming to APA form almost hammer that one right out of you? :D

Never. B)

I've noticed your penchant for the British spellings, too (criticise maybe?). Is that through training or choice? Out of curiosity, do you go with favour and harbour and all those too?

When I moved to this country, I learned to spell according to American standards, but in college I majored in English Literature. Most of the books I read were printed in the UK, so the British spellings invaded by brain through osmosis from the printed matter. I don't consciously follow one convention or the other, but you know what a creature of habit Homo sapiens tends to be.

Which brings me to my next gripe:
Singularization of already singular words like Homo sapiens, biceps, kudos, etc. People see the letter "s" at the end of the word and assume that it's a plural form, so you see curious forms like Homo sapien, bicep and kudo ... all of which are wrong.

hung_big: Does the American version of using quotation marks encompass the following?

If a certain point of punctuation does not belong in the brackets is it still placed there.

For example:

Did Julian tell her "Go Away"?

versus

Did Julian tell her "Go Away?"

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+May 17 2005, 04:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; May 17 2005, 04:54 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Addition of "Hungry eyes ... I feel the heat between you and I."
[/b]
I can alllllllmooooooost excuse it for the sake of a rhyme. But not quite. And then only if it were a good rhyme. (Eric Carmen, you are dismissed) :grr:

Worst of all is when objective is used for nominative and there&#39;s no rhyme excuse to be had. "You and me got a lot of lovin&#39; to do," so somesuch crap as that.

I can overlook it fine, though, if it&#39;s in service to the "character" speaking.

<!--QuoteBegin-DoubleMeatWhopper
@May 17 2005, 04:54 PM
"Be that as it may" is formulaic subjunctive; "Thy will be done" is an example of conditional subjunctive used as a third person imperative.[/quote] Makes me want to dig my manual out of the (figurative) cobwebs. It&#39;s been too long.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by steve319+May 18 2005, 04:08 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve319 &#064; May 18 2005, 04:08 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-DoubleMeatWhopper@May 17 2005, 04:54 PM
Addition of "Hungry eyes ... I feel the heat between you and I."
I can alllllllmooooooost excuse it for the sake of a rhyme. But not quite. And then only if it were a good rhyme. (Eric Carmen, you are dismissed) :grr:
[/b][/quote]

Actually, I misquoted it: it should&#39;ve said "magic", not "heat". If a rhyme is wanted, how about this"
"Hungry eyes ... I feel the magic between your thighs"?

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@May 17 2005, 08:31 PM

I have to say something about &#39;Xmas&#39;. The word &#39;Christ&#39; comes from the Greek word &#39;Christos&#39;, which looks like
this in Greek letters. The Greek letter chi (X) has been used as a respectful symbol for &#39;Christ&#39; since the first century A. D. Even the illiterates knew that the symbol X meant &#39;Christ&#39;. In English, the use of X standing for &#39;Christ&#39; in &#39;Christmas&#39; dates back to at least the ninth century A. D. in the form &#39;Xesmæss&#39; for &#39;Cristesmæsse&#39;. Keep in mind that at that time England was thoroughly Christianized: no one would&#39;ve considered using this abbreviated form out of reluctance to write &#39;Christ&#39;. Even today in the churches of many denominations you will see the letters chi - rho (XP) combined as a respectful monogram representing &#39;Christ&#39;. However it may be used today by some, &#39;Xmas&#39; was not in origin disrespectful.
[post=312172]Quoted post[/post]​
The things I learn frequenting this site&#33; I really did not know that about the Greek letter chi. I honestly didn’t have a problem with people not wanting to use the word Christ in Christmas. My problem was not that I found it disrespectful, but rather that I thought it lazy to not write the whole word (much like using the letter y instead of typing the two extra letters to form the complete word “why.”)

Now I find out that one of my major pet peeves from childhood to present was actually from the ninth century A.D. and was not originally used out of laziness. Which of my other long held and much cherished pet peeves are you going to take away from me?

On a side note I would like to know where you retain all of this information DMW. Much of the information that you provide would not be used on a regular basis nor come up in everyday conversation and yet you seem to pull it out of thin air as the need arises.

whatno

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+May 18 2005, 12:28 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; May 18 2005, 12:28 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-hung_big@May 18 2005, 04:02 AM
Did Julian tell her "Go Away"?

That is the British convention.

Did Julian tell her "Go Away?"

And that is the American.
[post=312309]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

I&#39;ve always had trouble with that.. I heard that if it has to do with the text being quoted, then it belongs in the quotes, but if it does not, then it well, does not.

Did she say "I know where my keys are"?

And then she said, "Where are my keys?"

that&#39;s what I&#39;ve always done.

Steve26

1st LPSG Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I am always amused by people who use apostrophes incorrectly on their mailboxes or porches, as in "The Smith&#39;s." I love the resulting implication that just one Smith (and moreover, THE Smith) lives there, along with the ambiguity over which of The Smith&#39;s belongings is being identified with the possessive signage. The Smith&#39;s house? The Smith&#39;s mailbox? The Smith&#39;s sign?

One house in my parents&#39; neighborhood has a sign reading "The Dunaj&#39;s" in its yard, causing us to refer to the unknown resident as some Dr. Seuss-like character called The Dunaj:

"Have you seen The Dunaj lately?"

"The Dunaj didn&#39;t plow his driveway."

"Look, The Dunaj has visitors."

Steve :D

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Steve26@May 18 2005, 06:45 PM
I am always amused by people who use apostrophes incorrectly on their mailboxes or porches, as in "The Smith&#39;s." I love the resulting implication that just one Smith (and moreover, THE Smith) lives there, along with the ambiguity over which of The Smith&#39;s belongings is being identified with the possessive signage. The Smith&#39;s house? The Smith&#39;s mailbox? The Smith&#39;s sign?

The Smith&#39;s ignorance of where he left his grammar book.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by dolf250@May 18 2005, 06:18 AM
On a side note I would like to know where you retain all of this information DMW.  Much of the information that you provide would not be used on a regular basis nor come up in everyday conversation and yet you seem to pull it out of thin air as the need arises.

Yeah, I&#39;m a veritable font of useless knowledge, but the tidbit about the chi and chi-rho can actually be attributed to my two years in the seminary. Christian iconology is certainly important in the Catholic Church, and we studied more obscure Christian images and symbols than the average Church-goer realises have ever existed.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+May 17 2005, 11:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; May 17 2005, 11:34 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Pecker@May 17 2005, 11:09 PM
Paul Simon: "Me and Julio down by the schoolyard..."
[post=312209]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually, that one&#39;s in correct in the lyrics. The entire line is, "See you, me and Julio down by the schoolyard." As the direct object of the verb "see", the objective case should be used.
[post=312280]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

It&#39;s not the case, Jacinto: it should be "See you, Julio and me down by the schoolyard."

db03

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
How cheeky, theese people from the New Territories telling us how to speak our own language&#33;&#33;&#33; :p

Here&#39;s some incorrect irish grammer for you, a prize for anyone who guesses what this person is asking&#33;&#33;

"Meer ta me illya, vue nee more dem countin forms?

(It is english)

SpiceboyMJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Pecker+May 18 2005, 04:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pecker &#064; May 18 2005, 04:28 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@May 17 2005, 11:34 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Pecker
@May 17 2005, 11:09 PM
Paul Simon:  "Me and Julio down by the schoolyard..."
[post=312209]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually, that one&#39;s in correct in the lyrics. The entire line is, "See you, me and Julio down by the schoolyard." As the direct object of the verb "see", the objective case should be used.
[post=312280]Quoted post[/post]​

It&#39;s not the case, Jacinto: it should be "See you, Julio and me down by the schoolyard."
[post=312452]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
The mama pajama rolled out of bed and she ran to the police station.
When the papa found out he began to shout and he started the investigation.
It&#39;s against the law. It was against the law. What the mama saw, it was against the law.
The mama looked down and spit on the ground every time my name gets mentioned.
The papa said "Oy, if I get that boy I&#39;m gonna stick him in the house of detention."
Well, I&#39;m on my way. I don&#39;t know where I&#39;m goin&#39;.
I&#39;m on my way. I&#39;m takin&#39; my time but I don&#39;t know where.
Good-bye to Rosie, the Queen of Corona.
See you, me and Julio down by the school yard.

Great&#33; Now that song is stuck in my head. :D

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
About Xmas: Isn&#39;t it funny how fundies now claim the X is a Bad Thing? It&#39;s Greek to them.
About number: What about such mutant forms as "bacteriae", "criteriae", and "insigniae"? (On an aside, "viri" and "peni" make me cringe.)

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by SpiceboyMJ@May 18 2005, 09:24 PM
It&#39;s against the law. It was against the law. What the mama saw, it was against the law.
The papa said "Oy, if I get that boy I&#39;m gonna stick him in the house of detention."

Great&#33; Now that song is stuck in my head. :D
[post=312483]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b]
Let&#39;s not forget the rest of it:

In a couple of days they come and take me away
But the press let the story leak
And when the radical priest come to get me released
We&#39;s all on the cover of Newsweek
Well, I&#39;m on my way, I don&#39;t know where I&#39;m going&#39;...(lyrics match up to the preceding)

At the time the song was released I was falling madly in lust for a young man named Julio and strangely enough we used to meet up down by the schoolyard. (I am not making this part up folks--it really did happen this way)

SpiceboyMJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Onslow+May 18 2005, 05:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Onslow &#064; May 18 2005, 05:54 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SpiceboyMJ@May 18 2005, 09:24 PM

Great&#33; Now that song is stuck in my head.  :D
[post=312483]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b]
Let&#39;s not forget the rest of it:

In a couple of days they come and take me away
But the press let the story leak
And when the radical priest come to get me released
We&#39;s all on the cover of Newsweek
Well, I&#39;m on my way, I don&#39;t know where I&#39;m going&#39;...(lyrics match up to the preceding)

At the time the song was released I was falling madly in lust for a young man named Julio and strangely enough we used to meet up down by the schoolyard. (I am not making this part up folks--it really did happen this way)
[post=312501]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Wow&#33; What a great story&#33; I bet every time you hear that song it takes you right back in time to those moments huh?