Dorm showers

dickbeater27

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I know there are a lot of threads about showers but bear with me. This question is mostly for college guys who live in the dorms at school. At my dorm there are stall showers so that no one sees each other naked unless you are standing outside your curtain naked. I walk to the shower in just a towel and then throw it over the bar and then get in the shower. I don't care if someone sees my dick, i dry off outside the curtain in plain view for anyone. But so many guys walk to the showers completely clothed and then undressed behind the curtain so noone will see them and then they redress before leaving. WTF is up with these guys? do any of you do this or see people doing this?

bigstuf20

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
While I am in college, I don't live in the dorms, so I cant directly comment about it, but I have been in similar situations at camps, on trips, etc. and I think it is mostly about shyness. They aren't the type of person that has the "I don't give a damn" attitude about nudity. I think it really comes down to personality type, and possibly needing more time to adjust to college life.

msikd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
i have never seen a naked guy in a college shower. take that back i once saw a guys ass, but he went through all the steps to make sure that he covered himself and it would only be his ass that anyone could see as he stepped into the shower (I actually don't think he heard me come into the restroom otherwise I bet he would have done it behind the curtain).

If you go to school in America, simple answer is that americans are sexually repressed and think that if they so much as look at a bare chested guy they are a homo, and I would say that the vast majority of american college guys are huge homophobes. Also sex and nakedness isn't really accepted in a healthy way in this culture, and I am positive that perceptions about penis size (i.e. my dick is too small i don't want anyone to see) also convince some guys to keep it wrapped. the weird thing is that if frontal male nudity was accepted they wouldn't have all these self-esteem problems....

andre8thick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
yeah I think it more has to do with confidence than with size or with orientation. One enormous dude I knew was very private because he was Midwestern. Then one dude would always be there fat and naked and so tiny I felt bad for him. As for me, it depended actually who was there. If my buds were there and other normal people no problem I could have a conversation buck naked. But a few dudes were messed in the head and with them around I would cover up.

Nothing says true male friendship like being able to chat buck naked while drying off with mutual "tool respect"-- know what I mean? a real bonding thing.

cjc3552

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When I lived in the dorms I went to the showers dressed. Some may say it’s a lack of self-confidence, but I never felt the need to walk around a bathroom naked. I did it mainly out of respect for anybody who may be in the bathroom. Not everybody feels comfortable with nudity so I’ve never felt the need to make others uncomfortable if I didn’t have to.

mattbuddy

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I would be the type to be fully clothed and get behind the curtain. The most I would do is have a towel with boxers on or something then undress behind the curtain. It's just how the person feels I think. As someone said earlier, some guys just don't want to walk around nude. I for one wouldn't want to walk around nude in a room that others can see me ... people say "well we all are the same, we all have dicks" That doesn't necessarily mean I want to see anyone else's. Some guys are also not as hung as others so that may be a reason too. I am hung just right I think, but still I don't need others to see it.

matt121matt121

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This question is mostly for college guys who live in the dorms at school. WTF is up with these guys? do any of you do this or see people doing this?

I think a big part of it is that guys are just so use to a certain level of privacy these days with private bathrooms at home, I've heard that some newer construction builds a bathroom for EVERY Bedroom, so if thats true then that mean they never go anywhere without clothes on. And guys don't have to shower in school anymore, i've heard that even sports teams hardly shower anymore, so its definatly not mandatory.

I recently went to my first nudist event, and all I have to say is everyone should see more naked people, as it definatly took away any reservations that I might have had regarding my "tackle" I mean i didn't see people hard but soft, and you see how there are guys smaller (some ALOT smaller), then there are guys who are bigger (some ALOT bigger). And you see all the different circumcison styles though it seemed like high and tight was the most prevelant, and I even saw my first uncut cocks up close. I just wish I would have had this experience when I was going through puberty or shortly there after when I was self concious about my body, and you see that there are guys, fatter, skinnier, more muscular, less muscular, you see EVERYTHING, and then you are able to value yourself for what you have and not what you don't have.

When I was living in traditional dorms, it was crazy what lengths guys went to to not be seen.

My first year had just curtains on the individual shower stalls, with a long bench and hooks for clothes and other items you brought into the shower. This was on the 8th Floor of the Building.

My second year had the curtain shower stalls with the dressing partitions and a door right outside of them so your clothes and everything were in your cubicle. This was on the 2nd Floor of the Building.

We never really did figure out the difference in configurations unless they just ran out of money during the renovations.

I always would just go to the shower wearing a towel around my waist, and my shower items and shower flip flops. I didn't want to take more there than I needed to to risk things getting taken, since the first year there were times when peoples clothes would be stolen, and a few times when guys towels would even go missing, as hot as this was to witness I didn't want it to happen to me, so if i didn't take anything nothing could be taken.

I don't know what the big deal is, a towel more than covers the "tackle", and I'd much prefer to not risk getting my clothes for the day all wet, and what the point of taking a shower if you take off and then put back on the same clothes.

I was also in several aquatics classes and there most guys would shower in there swimwear though a few of us would take it off, but one guy wouldn't change at all he would always arrive in his swimtrunks and leave in the swimtrunks no matter what the weather was outside, and to top it off he wouldn't just wear the trunks he would always wear hanes tighty whities with the waistband showing under his blue trunks, then on the other extreme of showyness there was a guy who would wear a royal blue speedo with yellow trim stitching under rather thin yellow trunks so it was obvious to everyone that he was wearing a speedo.

Jesse James

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The college I attended had suites for rooms. 2 to 4 guys sharing a bathroom, so never saw anyone nude beyond my roommate, but I did attend a boarding school before that, and the showers were gang showers. Two shower trees out in the middle of the room, where at 8 guys could take a shower at the same time.

At first I was terrified about taking a shower with other guys. Partly because I was private, and secondly I was terrified of being found out, but that changed.

Sure it was nice getting to see the really hot guys in all their glory, but most of all, it helped me get over my shyness and I think it made me feel more like an equal, not as in size or anything, but as a person.

Here were guys of all sizes, shapes and colors, and who cares who sees what. You become so relaxed with it that after a while it couldn't matter less that you are in the same room with a bunch of naked guys.

Later on when a new dean came in, the showers were changed so that there were stalls instead, and I'm sure that was a big relief to some, but I'm glad I had it the other way to help me come out of my shell, so to speak. To me putting up the barriers to hide everyone from everyone else, also put up barriers in the growth of becoming more comfortable with yourself. Maybe it's just me.

matt121matt121

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
and the showers were gang showers. Two shower trees out in the middle of the room, where at 8 guys could take a shower at the same time.

When I was on the swim team we had gang showers with the poles, there were probably like 5 or 6 heads to each shower pole, granted most guys left there suits on to shower, but just the fact that they were open allowed the team to have time to talk before and after practice/meets/etc. and we would even share shower heads at times since we all wanted to get ready to leave the pool after a long meet or practice. They have since built a new pool, I'm not sure if they went to full cubicles or not but I know they at least have walls of some type between the heads that go around an outer wall, this is ashamed because when everyone is facing the wall the team can't talk and bond, I know that some of this was the best as the seniors could congratulate us for doing well or help motivate.

Sure it was nice getting to see the really hot guys in all their glory, but most of all, it helped me get over my shyness and I think it made me feel more like an equal, not as in size or anything, but as a person.

I wasn't gay back in my gang shower days, or at least I didn't know I was least not the word for it anyways, but I know that this experience helped me become more comfortable with myself as a person knowing that guys are all the same no matter our differences.

Here were guys of all sizes, shapes and colors, and who cares who sees what. You become so relaxed with it that after a while it couldn't matter less that you are in the same room with a bunch of naked guys.

This is how it was at the nudist event I went to, after a little while you almost forget that no one is wearing any clothes, as you get caught up in better conversation and have to pay more attention to faces etc to recognize people since you can't be like the guy in the orange shirt said that.

Later on when a new dean came in, the showers were changed so that there were stalls instead, and I'm sure that was a big relief to some, but I'm glad I had it the other way to help me come out of my shell, so to speak. To me putting up the barriers to hide everyone from everyone else, also put up barriers in the growth of becoming more comfortable with yourself. Maybe it's just me.

I hate whenever the build stalls, especially when its an add on, as they are really small and all they end up doing is making more places for germs to grow and/or lessening the number of showers, and I know when ever I finish a work out I just want to get clean, relax and go home or whereever I'm going next and I really don't like waiting to shower its the most annoying thing, and guys seem to take longer showers and use more hot water when there are cubicles.

I agree putting up barriers hides ourself from ourself and to others, as then they can only see what we let them figure out about us, I know when I wasn't wearing any clothes I definatly was alot less shy and more open to other people as the only things they could figure out about me they had to ask since they couldn't figure out things such as my sexuality, economic status, etc when no one was wearing anything and this enabled me to have some of the greatest conversations with people I would have otherwise had no chance of talking to, I mean I talked for a really long time to a really masculine muscular guy who was about to go off to basic training for the military, and another guy I talked to must have been the biggest jock with clothes on.

Jesse James

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
One thing the gang showers gave me, was some inside information. LOL

Being gay and terrified about being found out, I kept to myself mostly, at least at first, but I had a sister and two female cousins who attended some of the same years I did. Each of them had girlfriends, and since I didn't really go about making my own friends, I often hung out with them and theirs.

It's odd, but conversations in the cafeteria, especially supper time, always seemed to come down to sex, but not exactly in an obvious way. I would here about how this guy was cute, and how hot that guy was, and being scared into the farthest reaches of my closet I just held my tongue. However, on occasion I would get asked questions about this guy or that guy, or at least about the ones I had seen in the shower.

In a way it is unfair for girls I suppose. It doesn't take much for a guy to see what assets a girl has. But, unless a guy is blatantly putting himself on display, wearing tight shorts or what have you, there is no way to truly tell what they are packing. That is, unless you have a guy on the inside.

I remember being asked by my sister and cousins as well as by their female friends about what this guy and that were hiding down below.

I even helped hook several girls up with guys. The one couple is married and has two kids.

I had this huge crush on this one guy. He would take off his jersey after a game, and you could feel the collective sigh from the girls, and few guys in the stands as he stood there half naked and drooling… oh, wait, I was the one drooling, but anyway, I had one of my sister’s girlfriends wanting me to hook her up with this hottie, so I started getting to know this guy and his friend. (Yes I enjoyed being close to him! Leave me alone. You should have seen him in the shower!) So, I would hang out in his room, and we would talk, and I would ask all these questions, and then I told him about this girl, and how interested she was in him, and they started dating.

At one point the comment was made on how I helped her get him, and he made the comment that he was starting to worry about me, because of my interest in him, but now he understood. Oh well.

Chocolatestix

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
My roommate is like that now. I don't think I've seen him with a shirt off. I change in the room, put lotion on, and get dressed in the room. I've never been fully naked in front of him. I normally change while I have my robe on but when I get back to the room I put my underwear on. While I don't mind being naked around others (to a certain extent) I do respect his uncomfortableness with nudity.

ShinIchi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
My dorm's bath room has a section for changing and section for showering and bathing...Everyone has to be naked.

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
When I was in school we had a suite of 4 rooms and a bathroom to share. There was a large walk in shower with two shower heads. I don't think any two guys took a shower together. There was some unwritten rule that it was one at a time. We walked around in our underwear and even hung out in each others rooms in our drawers and we did see each other naked coming to or from the showers but never showered together.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I have to admit how surprised I was...

When I was in college- big showers, no walls/etc...big room, 10 shower heads, get naked, get clean go one with your life..

Was visitng my son in college, had to pee- and was startled to see these phone booth looking things were showes...sheesh.

I commenting on it, and one son who is a bit of an exhibitionist tells me he likes to strip BEFORE he gets to the shower just to piss em off...lol (sheesh, where DOES he get it? :))

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
While I am in college, I don't live in the dorms, so I cant directly comment about it, but I have been in similar situations at camps, on trips, etc. and I think it is mostly about shyness. They aren't the type of person that has the "I don't give a damn" attitude about nudity. I think it really comes down to personality type, and possibly needing more time to adjust to college life.

I think you hit the nail on the head about all these public shower posts on here :cool:.

We were required to live on campus for the first 2 years...and lucky me...I was in a dorm that had not seen a facelift since before I was born. So obvious the bathroom/shower area was just a small room to change/hang towels and open room with 10 heads to it...pretty old school. Was no big deal really and by the second semester, even the shy guys didn't give a flying fuck lol. In fact, we would have 'sauna nights' and put in lawn chairs while cranking the showers on high and drink beer..... epicly stupid, yes, but pretty amusing to 18 year old guys. :tongue:

Adam875

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
If you go to school in America, simple answer is that americans are sexually repressed and think that if they so much as look at a bare chested guy they are a homo, and I would say that the vast majority of american college guys are huge homophobes. Also sex and nakedness isn't really accepted in a healthy way in this culture, and I am positive that perceptions about penis size (i.e. my dick is too small i don't want anyone to see) also convince some guys to keep it wrapped. the weird thing is that if frontal male nudity was accepted they wouldn't have all these self-esteem problems....

Yep, I guess it's like that in the UK too these days. There's been a huge change in attitudes in recent times, and I think I was lucky to have been at school and college just before the change set in: at both we all showered together after gym and sports and thought nothing to it, if anything it helped us get over any shyness which can be pretty normal in one's teens. I don't remember anyone having any hang-up's about it. Occasionally we were treated to the sight of the well-endowed as, I seem to remember, they enjoyed receiving the attention.

Nowadays all is changed, with the words 'pervert' or 'homo' being slung around if anyone dares to present themselves uncovered between neck and knee. It's a strange paradox: we live in an age when sexual licence - often masquerading as 'freedom' - has never been more rampant, yet have developed a personal prudery that the Victorians themselves would have been proud of. It used to be said (as in museums) that 'you could look, but not touch'; now, in these enlightened days, it is deemed 'inappropriate' (that fatuous word) for one human body to be exposed to another , and indeed almost a crime to look.

Excellent post! It was the exact same experience for me when I attended university and the showers were open. Now they have put in stalls as well as Bradley showers. What a shame that they have done this. It only perpetuates this absurd behaviour and paranoia about covering up around your peers.

Nothing says true male friendship like being able to chat buck naked while drying off with mutual "tool respect"-- know what I mean? a real bonding thing.

You are absolutely correct. It's a uniquely male bonding experience that women will never understand. I have had some awesome conversations with other guys in the nude at my gym, and even made some pretty good friends from it. All of the B.S. and bravado comes down when guys are naked together in a non-sexual environment. The paranoia and mistrust also quickly disappears. Being nude around other guys builds trust and mutual repsect. Covering up, hiding behind shower curtains, and doing the God awful "towel dance" only perpetuates fear and paranoia.

andrexx

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
It all comes down to preference. I am a college student and we have stalled-off showers. Personally, I wear my t-shirt, boxers, gym shorts, and flip flops down to the shower. It's not because I'm afraid...but I just prefer to do it that way. I would love to be peaking around (there are some hot guys nearby), but what does it matter if people are stalled off or not? I think if someone wants to flaunt their body, let them...but many of us (myself included), don't really want to be exhibitionists. If someone sees my penis, fine. But I'm not going to just whip it out.