Flowers you like

Media
Tick tick. Got get those tulip bulbs in the ground before the snow flies. I was supposed to do this two years ago so I am not sure if the bulbs are still good. Any advice on this?

Fritz

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Tick tick. Got get those tulip bulbs in the ground before the snow flies. I was supposed to do this two years ago so I am not sure if the bulbs are still good. Any advice on this?
@chicagosam, I have planted tulip bulbs for years. Saving bulbs for two years may mean their full potential to grow is weak. Also, sometimes the bulbs get soft or hollow. Invest in all new bulbs.

Reactions: alcor972

pdxjoe

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
If they are firm yellow/white under the paper skin they may grow but if they are hard and brown/black throw them out and start with new fresh ones. Their viability will be impacted by where they were stored [cool moist may be ok, warm/hot dry they are not ok] good luck.

Media
@chicagosam, I have planted tulip bulbs for years. Saving bulbs for two years may mean their full potential to grow is weak. Also, sometimes the bulbs get soft or hollow. Invest in all new bulbs.
If they are firm yellow/white under the paper skin they may grow but if they are hard and brown/black throw them out and start with new fresh ones. Their viability will be impacted by where they were stored [cool moist may be ok, warm/hot dry they are not ok] good luck.
Thank you! I’ll check them based on your criteria and progress with your advice.:) Thanks again!

farmhand

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Have some dahlias growing, originally as bit of "memorial" to my grandfather who in retirement grew some huge blooms (6~8" as I recall) in Milwaukee and much competing with another retiree on who could do "best." But when browsing store garden-section, thought "dahlias might be nice" and picked up some tubers. That 7~8 years ago. Three of four came up and produced some "petite" blooms only 2". Although I did nothing in babying or special fertilizing or pruning. Second year only 3 of originals came up. Third year suddenly appeared one "missing" the first year, and it produced some sizeable (relatively) blooms. It's continued since.

Also had picked up two seed packets; "pretty wild flowers" and "native wild flowers" which apparently were really same thing merely labeled differently. Had nice large "patch" of whatever-they-are. And while annuals, they've "self-seeded" so the patch continues, and interestingly sort of "moves" mostly downhill about a foot a year as the seeds apparently are blown slightly as they drop. Butterflies of different types are thick on the blooms part of the summer.

Attachments

Lee_M

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
There is nothing more elegant and beautiful then a bunch or white lilies
81NnJ5emYXL._SY450_.jpg

Carnations. Have grown my own because am tired of the supermarket variety. Look gorgeous, but no scent.

Nature is not perfect, yet commercial growers seem to think it's all about the look. But what is the first thing we do when given a bunch of flowers.

The perfume evokes memories or emotions which are more powerful than the perfect leaf or petal.

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy