Fundamentalism and indoctrination of kids

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Can we send the various 'armies of god' - Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu and whatever else is out there - to somewhere relatively isolated and unpopulated (Greenland?) so they can fight it out and leave the rest of us the hell alone?

tygrrr

Just Browsing
Media
Lordpendragon said:
Something else that disturbs me very deeply, is that they certainly know that there will be a fucked up fall out rate in later years and they don't care.

I've also been considering this, and I've been wondering how many of these kids will later in life become painfully aware of how they were emotionally and mentally manipulated on occasions like this. Many will no doubt feel deeply betrayed.

Another thing I've been thinking about is the statement by Pastor Fischer: "I want to see them as radically laying down their lives for the gospel as they are in Palestine, Pakistan and all those different places - because, excuse me, we have the truth."
I've been wondering whether this implies a desire to emulate what is seen as expressions of religious fervour among Muslims. I may be mistaken, but if so, it gets even more odd next to the statement that 'we have the truth'...

I find all of this rather painful to think about. I was a bit unsure after I first posted it, if I should have done that. However, it has actually helped some to read the various posts that followed here. - It's difficult to stop thinking about it though.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
tygrrr said:
Watching this clip made me think that this is actually akin to child abuse. The way I see it, children should be protected from experiencing something like this. - Do you agree? - Any other thoughts?
Unfortunately, in this country, the "authorities" don't recognize child abuse, unless it is in physical form. I have a long laundry list of things that I consider to be child abuse, but since many of them don't leave broken bones and big purple bruises, it is viewed by most of society as a parent's right to teach children as they choose. You can't photograph and easily document emotional and psychic scarring, so it does not really exist.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dr. Dilznick said:
This Jesus Camp documentary looks boring to me. Christian kids doing "normal" Christian kid type stuff? OK...

More here (trailer and clips):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_EKHK1C2IE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G8_jzmta90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JECP9qzjmF0
Trailer would seem to be an operative word here, don't you think?

After watching some of these clips, and seeing them "training" the children to flop around on the floor and babble (speaking in tongues) it reminds me of an experiment I've always wanted to do...

Take several (at least 4) charismatics who claim to be "blessed with the gift of interpreting", have them observe a "speaking in tongues" episode, then isolate them from each other and ask for the interpretation. It would be interesting to see how each of them interpret the "word of god", and how specific it would be, or how much like a very vague horoscope. Just a thought.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
People,

I have to say that anything taken out of context can look very bizarre. I have a real problem here listening to the increasingly unabashed religious intolerance on this site . Why are they sick? I am sure many of the things that are discussed on this site could in the cold light of day be seen as the same. If one wishes for "tolerance" (I hate that term just as I hate liberal it still smacks of elitism) then one must be accepting of others. This is not my denomination by the way, but there are many interesting things being done in and outside the name of God...

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
naughty said:
People,

I have to say that anything taken out of context can look very bizarre. I have a real problem here listening to the increasingly unabashed religious intolerance on this site . Why are they sick? I am sure many of the things that are discussed on this site could in the cold light of day be seen as the same. If one wishes for "tolerance" (I hate that term just as I hate liberal it still smacks of elitism) then one must be accepting of others. This is not my denomination by the way, but there are many interesting things being done in and outside the name of God...

The problem I have with the indoctrination - from what I saw of it in the original Youtube clip, anyway - is the apparent, demonstrated intolerance shown by those doing the indoctrinating. And that they're apparently teaching the kids to be just as intolerant.

Smashing things, martial arts classes, expressing a desire to have the kids 'lay down their lives for god', and quotes like "we have the truth" (a dead giveaway that you aren't tolerant of other opinions) are a pretty intimidating conjunction of ideas and activities. And very scary for people like me - and I daresay, for many others here - who want to live our lives the way we choose without input from god's battalions.

On top of all that, kids of the age of those in the video are (almost by definition) too young to make adult decisions on religion or a religious path. With few exceptions, they don't have the life experience or reasoning capacity, and they are less likely to question authority than adults. I have no problem with adults going to a "Jesus camp", if they choose to. They're adults and free to make their own decisions.

We don't let kids contract without an adult (other than for 'necessities', but I won't get sidetracked into a contract law discussion). We don't let them marry. We don't let them join the army. We don't let them drop out of school. Joining a cult is a life-altering decision (and I'm sorry if this offends you, Naughty, but the Jesus camp looks pretty cult-like to me) and I'm disgusted that society permits the indoctrination of children in this way.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Naughty,

I respect your beliefs more than you know. I've been accused on this board of denigrating Christians. I don't. I go to church myself as I've explained frequently on this board. I do however take strong issue with zealots of any kind. That's clearly what's shown in that video for me.

But I don't see you somehow (from my experience with you here and how you see others) not being wary of the video and how those children have been so obviously indoctrinated to feel a certain way without being exposed to a variety of things. Bottom line? They're waaaaaaaaaaay too young to be having that sort of conviction and that level of seriousness about this life.

That blond boy (as I said in my only other post on this site) cannot possibly know what he's doing of his own accord - and those children who appear "ready to die" (or some similar terminology) for Jesus is a very sobering thought to me for children who simply ought to be enjoying being children at that point in their lives.

I'd have precisely the same reaction to a situation akin to that one if someone were attempting to send them to "gay school" at that tender age. Certain things (like religious submersion and sexual instruction) need to be age appropriate. That's clearly out of whack to me.

That video is deeply disturbing in my opinion and its context is all-too-clear.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Everyone passes on their own brand of stupidity to their children. Why should these people be any different? Hard to define it as child abuse unless you're also going to define exactly once and for all what is true and what isn't, which would of course do away with religious freedom, any vestiges of our democracy in our political system, et cetera. Disagreeing with someone's point of view is the same reason some people are so opposed to homosexual couples adopting. Until these kids become adults nobody is going to have much say in what goes into their heads (possibly excepting teachers and TV program directors) except their parents, who are the ones who signed them up for these camps.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
THank You, Stronzo.

I was fully prepared for a full out assault. I can however see the merits in your argument. While I was reading your response i was invisioning a similar indoctrination of children in a country across the waters and the subsequent out come. Children do often take things literally to tragic consequences. As for a "Gay School" LOL! What would they teach? How to appreciate the finer things in life. over achieve, and put the rest of us poor slobs to shame? LOL!

Stronzo said:
Naughty,

I respect your beliefs more than you know. I've been accused on this board of denigrating Christians. I don't. I go to church myself as I've explained frequently on this board. I do however take strong issue with zealots of any kind. That's clearly what's shown in that video for me.

But I don't see you somehow (from my experience with you here and how you see others) not being wary of the video and how those children have been so obviously indoctrinated to feel a certain way without being exposed to a variety of things. Bottom line? They're waaaaaaaaaaay too young to be having that sort of conviction and that level of seriousness about this life.

That blond boy (as I said in my only other post on this site) cannot possibly know what he's doing of his own accord - and those children who appear "ready to die" (or some similar terminology) for Jesus is a very sobering thought to me for children who simply ought to be enjoying being children at that point in their lives.

I'd have precisely the same reaction to a situation akin to that one if someone were attempting to send them to "gay school" at that tender age. Certain things (like religious submersion and sexual instruction) need to be age appropriate. That's clearly out of whack to me.

That video is deeply disturbing in my opinion and its context is all-too-clear.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
naughty said:
THank You, Stronzo.

I was fully prepared for a full out assault. I can however see the merits in your argument. While I was reading your response i was invisioning a similar indoctrination of children in a country across the waters and the subsequent out come. Children do often take things literally to tragic consequences. As for a "Gay School" LOL! What would they teach? How to appreciate the finer things in life. over achieve, and put the rest of us poor slobs to shame? LOL!

:biggrin1:

That's very complimentary but I know some gay boys with truly dreadful taste!!:tongue:

But more seriously - I was once taken to task by Dr. Rock for being a product of my upbringing and readily dismissable somehow since I (acc. to him) appeared to be unable to unchain myself from my religious historical past. In the genealogy thread I mention this same phenomenon and it applies here too.

I don't want to dismiss out of hand all the familial ties to my historical past ... including the religious one. They're my "knowns" (at least the legitimate ones...)

I find great comfort and fellowship among the Christian community of my upbringing. Do I find all of what's taught applicable to me or my situation? No, decidedly not. But I do see proportion in my own denomination and that seems harmless (if not indeed helpful) to all age groups. Growing up in the Episcopal Church and having Sunday school regularly .. then being an acolyte during my teens I was never "forced" to believe anything. It was all put before me as premise.

In truth I was never really very aware of the extremist business among Christians until I was an adult. I thought it was fairly rare and just an odd off shoot of the very few based in regional fears and superstition. But increasingly (perhaps because of the media) I see much more of the sort of thing shown in that video exposed as gaining strength and influence.

I've never been sorry I have no children. I never plan to have any. But I do enjoy the one on one company of a child whose curiosity and sense of wonder remains intact and uncorrupted. It's a really significant thing to me and when I connect with a child of seven or eight and can give that child a sense of my own experience in what makes the world valuable and beautiful it can be an immensely rewarding experience. In these rare connections there's no "training" on my part. There's simply exposure to what's beautiful in this experience. There's no fonder family memory than the one time I took my own youngest nephew to the seashore. It was low tide and he was maybe seven. He immediately crushed a hermit crab under his bare foot.

Rather than chastize him I asked him why he did it. He said "why not?"

For the next two hours we wandered the sand bars and I picked up each mollusk and explained why it all "worked" in the larger sense of the balance of nature and man (as best I could). I saw a sense of wonder and amazement slowly take him. Later that evening I got a call from my sister (ten years my senior) who said "who did you send home to me? David's done nothing but speak of his great time with his uncle and everything he learned today".

For me - it seems there's precious little time to instruct without bias. That's why that video is profoundly disturbing to me.

And again - there's a time for them to be simply children. I think it crucial in their development. And I see in that video that those poor kids have been robbed of it. That's not Christ at work - it's man in his aberrant form.

Re "gay school" :tongue: I meant it more in the sense of instructing children as they grow in sexual practices per se .. be they hetero or homosexual since I believe both ought to be available. However that instruction (were it to profiled in a similar fashion but in a sexual education sense at that age) would be deemed "abuse" of the first order. The cries of abuse would be loud and clear.

In my opinion one of two things will happen to those children:

1) They'll mature with those beliefs becoming ever-more vehement.

2) They'll utterly reject anything spiritual and despise any sort of belief system like the children of many clerics I know.

(think Marjoe Gortner here)

Either way I see no sense of real proportion coming from that sort of "ministry" (and I use the term very loosely).

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
naughty said:
People,

Naughty, I do not for a moment deny that some good things are done in the name of god. It's simply my belief that those who teach that war against infidels is the will of god are teaching a false religion. My mom (RIP) was a devout christian, and I loved her deeply and considered her to be one of my best friends, right up to the day she died. I do volunteer gardening work at an area church, 3 or 4 hours, every Saturday, simply because I'm friends with all the other gardeners and I love gardening.

There is just something fundamentally wrong with encouraging a 9-year old girl to cry on camera that abortion is wrong and must stop now. Does she even understand what it is she's crying about? There is something fundamentally wrong with camo-painting the faces of 7- to 12-year-old boys and telling them that they are learning to be god's warriors. They will undoubtedly grow up with a literal interpretation of this, and think that violence against other-believers is not just ok, but required by god. There is something fundamentally wrong with "training" the children how to speak in tongues or weep for salvation, rather than letting them discover it in the course of their maturing in the faith. Stronzo made such an excellent point with his assertion about teaching being age-appropriate.

When some of these complex issues are ingrained into minds too young to actually understand them, it sets the stage for such blind following and irreversible intolerant bigotry. It would be much better, I would think, to teach them how to be good christian people, rather than good christian soldiers.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
speaking of which DC -

That oh-so-Protestant hymn Onward Christian Soldiers has always bothered me since the premise implies combativeness.

I mean the melody is catchy and my dad always "over sings it" (much to our chagrin) but it seems to imply force somehow.

(I'm sure I'm looking too deeply here):rolleyes:

but wait

"Onward Christian soldiers, marching as to war..."

Maybe not... :33:

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So what do you think that Jesus would make of the woman in the clip?

I thought that he held the innocence and purity of children in high regard.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lordpendragon said:
So what do you think that Jesus would make of the woman in the clip?

I thought that he held the innocence and purity of children in high regard.
Now you have me truly puzzled, LPD. Do you think she truly cares what jesus thinks?

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
R,

THough I am sure there are those who take this literally .It was meant in reference to intemperance and the idea of fighting "sin". Unfortunately, it seems for many people ,Christian, Jew or Moslem the idealogy and the person are one and the same... If it is any consolation. I dont think a lot of folks would let Christ in their church if he showed up today.

Stronzo said:
speaking of which DC -

That oh-so-Protestant hymn Onward Christian Soldiers has always bothered me since the premise implies combativeness.

I mean the melody is catchy and my dad always "over sings it" (much to our chagrin) but it seems to imply force somehow.

(I'm sure I'm looking too deeply here):rolleyes:

but wait

"Onward Christian soldiers, marching as to war..."

Maybe not... :33:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DC,

No, i have never been a fan of the "mourner's bench" style of catechism. I know many individuals who have left the church or have deep scars today from being forced into confessing things or proclaiming things that they do not truly believe or understand. But I do think eventually it sorts itself out. There comes a time in most of our lives when we make decisions of what we will and will not do for ourselves. Ultimately I think this may work against those who are so fervent in their indoctrination. I do however still think that YOu are looking at an extreme. THere are many many many Christians who have come through church and Sunday School and Camp with wonderful memories and a deepening of their faith without major melodrama. But then perhaps we Presbyterians are a bit quieter, and more laid back. Just call us the "frozen chosen"! LOL!

DC_DEEP said:
Naughty, I do not for a moment deny that some good things are done in the name of god. It's simply my belief that those who teach that war against infidels is the will of god are teaching a false religion. My mom (RIP) was a devout christian, and I loved her deeply and considered her to be one of my best friends, right up to the day she died. I do volunteer gardening work at an area church, 3 or 4 hours, every Saturday, simply because I'm friends with all the other gardeners and I love gardening.

There is just something fundamentally wrong with encouraging a 9-year old girl to cry on camera that abortion is wrong and must stop now. Does she even understand what it is she's crying about? There is something fundamentally wrong with camo-painting the faces of 7- to 12-year-old boys and telling them that they are learning to be god's warriors. They will undoubtedly grow up with a literal interpretation of this, and think that violence against other-believers is not just ok, but required by god. There is something fundamentally wrong with "training" the children how to speak in tongues or weep for salvation, rather than letting them discover it in the course of their maturing in the faith. Stronzo made such an excellent point with his assertion about teaching being age-appropriate.

When some of these complex issues are ingrained into minds too young to actually understand them, it sets the stage for such blind following and irreversible intolerant bigotry. It would be much better, I would think, to teach them how to be good christian people, rather than good christian soldiers.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
naughty said:
I have to say that anything taken out of context can look very bizarre.
Well, the main lady behind this Jesus Camp thing said she thought they were depicted fairly and had no reservations about participating in the documentary. Honestly, there's nothing even remotely outrageous in any of these trailers. These folks are slightly more flamboyant than your average Christian in some of the shit they do at camp maybe (with the shouting and dancing and whatnot), but that's about it. That's what kills me about the reviews too: "A lightning rod of a movie." It's like they have never met or seen an actual Evangelical Christian before.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Frank,

You have to remember that everything is relative. I remember the first time I went into a church where people were shouting and laying on of hands. I thought they needed medical attention. We dont do that at my church. But that is not to say it is necessarily bad. It is just a difference in worship style. I know at my church on the other hand, we have had members try to turn our worship service into a Baptist one (Preserve us! ) LOL! ( Yes, MONTY. This comment was for you! )

Dr. Dilznick said:
Well, the main lady behind this Jesus Camp thing said she thought they were depicted fairly and had no reservations about participating in the documentary. Honestly, there's nothing even remotely outrageous in any of these trailers. These folks are slightly more flamboyant than your average Christian in some of the shit they do at camp maybe (with the shouting and dancing and whatnot), but that's about it. That's what kills me about the reviews too: "A lightning rod of a movie." It's like they have never met or seen an actual Evangelical Christian before.

tygrrr

Just Browsing
Media
naughty said:

Speaking for myself, I don't have anything against Christian people, some of my friends are Christians and some are Christian priests even. I have in fact friends that belong to several religions, and I have friends that are truly spiritual people without belonging to any religion. This is how it usually is in the real world. - One of the things I am reacting against is the blatant lack of tolerance in what these kids are being taught.
We live in a complex world; these kids will grow up to live in a world - in a global reality - that still have several major religions - and also a plethora of demoninations. There will be non-spiritual people - and there will also be gay people, many of them living together as couples, some being married - at least in other parts of the world. I'm just mentioning a couple of aspects of it all here - I could go on for a while. - This is the reality these kids will face as they become teenagers and then adults. -
Quoting the pastor in these clips: 'There are two kinds of people in the world; those who love Jesus and those who don't.' - (and then the final sentence in that same clip - shouted like it was coming from a rugby coach:) 'THIS MEANS WAR! THIS MEANS WAR!'
I want to stress again that the lack of tolerance is one of the things that is being questioned here. I am not sure how you can be serious in stating that this shows lack of tolerance from those of us who are reacting to this?

There has perhaps been a spotlight directed at Christian fundamentalists on this site as of late. I don't think this is a regrettable thing in itself, and I think it is actually directly mirrors the times that we live in. People will have opinions about these matters, and I think most of the spectrum of approaches to that topic is covered here. I have learned quite a lot from reading the many posts here, and I am grateful for that opportunity. We're lucky to be adults with a capacity to form our own opinions. We're lucky to live in a culture that makes space for that - I see this as a good and desirable state of affairs. I think there is plenty of room for all that have an opinion here in these forums, and I enjoy it that this is so.

I very frankly believe that there is a 'middle road' - that there is an open space where all people can truly meet and come together to celebrate both our diversity and life itself as the wonderful gift that it is. You need an open mind and an open heart to be able to do that. If I had children, this is one of the things that I would want to teach them. Perhaps I am naive, but in my experience this is so - because when I look for, it I find it.