House wants to apologize for slavery, how much do u know?

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Apology smology.

Bullshit distractions prior to election time... designed no doubt to get people pissed off and more polarized than ever. I couldn't give a flying fuck about an apology 'cause that and 4 bits wouldn't even get me a decent cup o' joe.

Show your "remorse" by insuring that the Dec of Indy holds true to its word and that all Americans are treated fairly and equally regardless of race, creed, color, nationality, religion, age, gender, or sexual orientation (hey - did I leave someone out??) ...weight...regardless of weight too.

O-Kay??

Last edited:

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
well ill try number 2. think on the books about 4.7 mill but in reality in the area of 8 -9 mill.

No! That's WRONG! Lemme call up Teetee, Momo, Rayray, Quanquan, and Quayquay so we can do a drive-by!!

j/k, I've read several estimates from various sources, and you're definitely in the ballpark. Can't say how close though, not yet.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Man, some of those questions are tough, Marley.

Re. N'Awlins. I don't know what Google says, but I know what I see here. I see some have returned, some haven't (and won't). Some areas of the city remain with little improvement since the Storm, other areas are coming along quite nicely.

Of the ones who have returned, some are struggling with costs, finances, and a plague of fraudulent or deadbeat contractors who either take the money and run, or show up every once in a while to drive a nail. But many of us have returned, have rebuilt what we've got, better than before (self included), and are getting on with our lives (that is, until the next big one).

We have a saying - "Laizze les bon temps rouler" - because we know how flimsy life can be, and how quickly the weather changes. :cool:

Ed69

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I won't apologize for slavery!Nore will I be held accountable for what Adam and Eve did!I was not there I did not do it!

Fuck Yall,a modern day redneck!

,Edward:biggrin1:

Ed69

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sorry bad joke on my part.Our government does not realy understand what they have done.My one vote my one voice seems to mean nothing anymore.

Maybe I don't know much.But I know enough to be sick of being blamed for things I did not do.The church and state can go fuck themselves.I will live happy with my mixed race family!

Last edited:

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am sick of hearing about the past, when the future is so more important. Fuckin a, if there going to go on about this stuff then what about the 200 thousand dead in japan from the a bomb or all the dead in vietnam. People have to toughen up or there just gonna be a mess with event that could unfold in the future.

B_625girth

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I could answer some of the questions, but WTF. all that is in the past. I owe no black person an apology. my German ancestors came to the US in the late 1840's and 1870's. we owned no slaves. we learned to speak English. we struggled. my fraternal side of my family, worked in Boston, Toledo, and Chicago. my maternal side farmed the Nebraska dirt. "if it is to be, it is up to me.", is the family motto. LEARN from the past but don't LIVE in the past. I believe everyone should have a equal chance to succeed, but you have to be a willing participant and work your ass off. I thank my grandmother, my dad's mom, for investing money back in the 20's, 30's in the stock market, and for my father doing the same. my folks passed away and left my brother and I a nice nest egg. I worked 30 yrs and got a nice nest egg pension. put the 2 together and retired in my 50's. I grew up lower middle class, some things we had, some things we did not. I quickly learned if I wanted something, I had to get it myself. I stayed in school, my brother and I both have college degrees. He had a sports scholarship, and I worked and put myself thru college. BTW, I am white(obvious). I have found that 2 words are most important in ALL OF OUR LIVES......Respect & Responsibility. You get out of life what you put in it. "garbage in, garbage out", the old early computer theory. Bill Cosby was so fucking right a few years ago, when he said, get an education, learn to speak english and not all the ghetto hip-hop, rap crap. be employable so you can grab your own boot straps and pull your own ass up the ladder. I have a black friend from college, who started with nothing, has worked hard, has a good family. climbed the corporate ladder with a couple different companies. we talked about all this back in the 70's when we were in college. I'm proud of him and he of me.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I could answer some of the questions, but WTF. all that is in the past. I owe no black person an apology. my German ancestors came to the US in the late 1840's and 1870's. we owned no slaves. we learned to speak English. we struggled. my fraternal side of my family, worked in Boston, Toledo, and Chicago. my maternal side farmed the Nebraska dirt. "if it is to be, it is up to me.", is the family motto. LEARN from the past but don't LIVE in the past. I believe everyone should have a equal chance to succeed, but you have to be a willing participant and work your ass off. I thank my grandmother, my dad's mom, for investing money back in the 20's, 30's in the stock market, and for my father doing the same. my folks passed away and left my brother and I a nice nest egg. I worked 30 yrs and got a nice nest egg pension. put the 2 together and retired in my 50's. I grew up lower middle class, some things we had, some things we did not. I quickly learned if I wanted something, I had to get it myself. I stayed in school, my brother and I both have college degrees. He had a sports scholarship, and I worked and put myself thru college. BTW, I am white(obvious). I have found that 2 words are most important in ALL OF OUR LIVES......Respect & Responsibility. You get out of life what you put in it. "garbage in, garbage out", the old early computer theory. Bill Cosby was so fucking right a few years ago, when he said, get an education, learn to speak english and not all the ghetto hip-hop, rap crap. be employable so you can grab your own boot straps and pull your own ass up the ladder. I have a black friend from college, who started with nothing, has worked hard, has a good family. climbed the corporate ladder with a couple different companies. we talked about all this back in the 70's when we were in college. I'm proud of him and he of me.

625 Girth,

I dont disagree with most of what you said. I am glad your parents instilled those values in you. It sounds similar to my family. The only difference is that up until the second half of the 20th century and in some instances beyond many of these things would not have been possible for African Americans to achieve regardless of how hard they worked. There were laws and practices in place that systematically prohibited advancement regardless. Bill Cosby is an example of the achievement of the second half of the 20th century. He pulled himself up out of the ghetto of Philly, found success on the comedy circuit , returned to school to achieve his EdD, and has served a a philanthorpist and advocate for Black higher education. What a wonderful story. He attempted to instill this in his children .There are many African American families today for whom this can be said to be true. However for many others circumstance has affected their chances .
I dont think Marley is asking anyone to apologize for what happened in this country's past, but it did and to some degree continues to happen.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Maybe I don't know much.But I know enough to be sick of being blamed for things I did not do.

Who blamed you? No one in the post did, nor did anyone in the article. Did a black person recently walk up to you and punch you, and say it was because of slavery?

I am sick of hearing about the past, when the future is so more important.

Did you say this everyday in history class? That's all this is, a discussion of history. The "Black Police" aren't coming to ask you to sign over the deed to your house, you can relax.:wink:

I could answer some of the questions, but WTF. all that is in the past. I owe no black person an apology.

Do I need to start a thread on white people who feel threatened by the mention of slavery? Who is this black ghost that's walking around asking LPSGers for an apology? Let me know and I'll gladly exorcise him/her/it.

I'd like to take you up on the proclamation that you can answer the ?s, even a lot of black people don't know their history and we're all taught this from 6th grade to senior year and throughout college. Humor me and answer atleast one or two. I promise no one's gonna ask you for an apology, we're just having a discussion.

Last edited:

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sorry I didn't get your specific reason for the post. It seems many people have the same view, why worry about things you can't change. And yes I did say this maybe not ever day in history class. I for one don't see the need to know so much about the past. At least not down to every freaking detail. I bet the american indians would like there land back too but is that ever gonna happen.

It seems to me that you really like controversial topics. Is your life really that difficult because your a black man. I often wished I was black or dark skinned. I'd fit into the neighborhood a lot better.

Last edited:

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I know who you're thinking of for question 16: "she" and "1972" is definitely Shirley Chisholm.

But she wasn't the first African-American presidential candidate, period. She was the first major-party candidate to earn pledged delegates.

In 1968, the Communist Party of the USA nominated Charlene Mitchell as their presidential candidate. She appeared on the ballot in two states, and won 1,075 votes.

In 1960, Clennon King ran for president as a candidate of the Independent Afro-American Party. He secured ballot access in only one state, and won 1,485 votes.

And all the way back in 1888 -- despite not having campaigned himself -- Frederick Douglass received one vote from an unpledged delegate at the Republican National Convention.

Catchoftheday

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Why would we shoot you? Now if you tell me you don't know how to do the electric slide, you might wanna sleep wit' one eye open.:biggrin1::tongue::cool::wink:

Well you said

Let's play 20 EASY questions: Slavery and her sister, Institutional Racism, and black America. Feel free to skip any ones you can't answer, none of us are perfect.

Implying that to be perfect I would need to know all about your history - I have to say I know very little of your history. One thing I do know however is that the history of slavery does not begin or end with the history of black America.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Sorry I didn't get your specific reason for the post.

I didn't make it clear, and EVERYBODY loses a point for not calling me out on referring to the colonies as "the US", it was the 1600s people! I just realized that error, and my weak save is that the name is insignificant, just know that I'm referring to the giant mass to the left of Africa, between South America and Canada.

It seems many people have the same view, why worry about things you can't change.

Who here is worried? I agree, but there's a difference between worrying about something and discussing it.

I for one don't see the need to know so much about the past.

Well, you can't learn from the future.

I bet the american indians would like there land back too but is that ever gonna happen.

Thus one of the great tragedies in history, people who suffer injustice so great that no court room could properly address the problem. I find it a bit ironic, though it makes me grateful, that I can slip and fall, not even be injured too badly, and sue my workplace for 100s of thousands of dollars.

Yet 200+ years (that's about 6 generations right) of people who were raped, tortured, murdered, assaulted, segregated can't even get the consideration of a conversation without being accused of wanting free handouts and apologies.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Implying that to be perfect I would need to know all about your history - I have to say I know very little of your history. One thing I do know however is that the history of slavery does not begin or end with the history of black America.

This is true, those pyramids in Egypt are just lovely aren't they?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Slavery will continue to be a crutch for our society only if we allow ourselves to fall victim to it's taunt. We all know what happened in the past and we all know what went down was wrong. But how many times do we need to see people who were never born or even experienced slavery or the struggle that Black people had to go through in the 50s & 60s during the Civil Rights Movement use these crutches to justify their own inability to move on and better themselves? Even worse, those who did grow up in that era and purposely press the button in order to get attention from people for whatever message they want to spread?

Nobody is suggesting that racism doesn't exist anymore and we live in a perfect society. But why are we going to discredit an entire race of people in this day and age for things they had no control or influence over? The amount of openly racist people in this world are much lower than in the past, and it's not as if this small minority of people prevent every form of progress within the Black (or any racial) community. Unless you owned a slave (which I'm sure most people don't), nobody here should have to apologize to us for slavery. The fact that our government is doing this, more than 4 decades after the Equal Rights Bill was signed, shows that many Americans have yet to progress forward. It's troublesome to some extent, and extremely sad on other fronts.

In the end, it's all another elaborate scheme to push the race button that continues to further divide us as a society. I don't know when we'll all be able to get over this, but we really need to make a point to try. :dunno:

Last edited:

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Since everybody else has a post like this, I'll give it a shot.

We really need to let slavery go, some people use it as a crutch to.....nevermind, I can't continue. That's all common sense to me, and doesn't have much to do with the OP, but I know some people just cum all over themselves at the opportunity to "tell it like it is" to some black folks.:tongue:

Dually noted, the next black person I see using slavery as a crutch, I'lll deliver the message. May take awhile though, I can't remember the last black person I met who said "I can't get a job cuz of slavery".

Last edited: