How Do You Ask Someone Out?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sounds like you both are saying the odds aren't in my favor. Perhaps they're not.

Actually I think the odds are in your favor. It's pretty rare to share a common interest in PSI. Means you already have something in common - that's what brought you both to the workshop. That's pretty powerful.

Full speed ahead. Damn the torpedos.

Don't sell yourself short, Jason. You have plenty to offer. You just don't see yourself clearly at the moment. Lust can do that to ya. lol.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Jason, you sound like a huge freaking handful. How many wheels are churning in your head at once? It's a frigging DATE. Don't overthink it! The worst he can say is "NO". Which puts you back to where you are right now. Meaning nothing lost.

Go for it. Let the chips fall. If he's not interested, his loss. You'll go to your bedroom & listen to Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" & that'l be that.

Actually I think the odds are in your favor. It's pretty rare to share a common interest in PSI. Means you already have something in common - that's what brought you both to the workshop. That's pretty powerful.

Full speed ahead. Damn the torpedos.

Don't sell yourself short, Jason. You have plenty to offer. You just don't see yourself clearly at the moment. Lust can do that to ya. lol.

No, not selling short, just trying to evaluate from an objective point of view which is likely biased to the negative. I'm terribly nervous.

As for the lust thing... it's like before. Any lust I feel is an expression of a desire to share myself. Yes, I'm physically attracted, but far more to he himself; the whole package. I didn't look at him twice when I first saw him, now I find him quite attractive because I know something of him. There has to be somebody there for me to truly be attracted. I only fall for the total package, not the bod. I think that's perhaps why I'm so picky.

Jason, you sound like a huge freaking handful. How many wheels are churning in your head at once? It's a frigging DATE. Don't overthink it! The worst he can say is "NO". Which puts you back to where you are right now. Meaning nothing lost.

Go for it. Let the chips fall. If he's not interested, his loss. You'll go to your bedroom & listen to Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" & that'l be that.

Will, you have no idea how much of a handful I am. I will just jump in and write him, damning the torpedoes (maybe all except one :naughty:).

How do I close it? "Best" seems slightly impersonal, "hugs" seems too familiar and forward, a simple initial or my name seems cold, "thanks" sounds obsequious, "sincerely" sounds positively antique, "happy thoughts" sounds too hippie........ I'm truly stuck.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
How do I close it? "Best" seems slightly impersonal, "hugs" seems too familiar and forward, a simple initial or my name seems cold, "thanks" sounds obsequious, "sincerely" sounds positively antique, "happy thoughts" sounds too hippie........ I'm truly stuck.

Have a great Thanksgiving, look forward to talking with you soon!
Cheers!
Jason

PS Do you want me to go on the first date with you! LOL!

Cheers!
Jason

PS Do you want me to go on the first date with you! LOL!

Would you? You can sit across the way and tell me what to say and do. I'll wear an earpiece.

OK, I just sent it....

Hi Cxxxxx,

I'm going to be in NYC on Friday 12/5 and was just wondering if you'd like to get together for a friendly cup of coffee or something in the afternoon or evening. Hope you all had a good trip back to the city.

Cheers!
Jason
That was short, upbeat, and cordial. Not too talky, not needy.

Big thanks to everyone!! I'll let you know what I know when I hear back.

Or I could go as your Legal/PR consultant and if you say something I don't approve of I could just lean in and say " What my client it trying to convey is....."

You know.... it wouldn't surprise me if someone has actually done that. Thanks for the offer. I'll consider it.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
OK, I just sent it....
Hi Cxxxxx,

I'm going to be in NYC on Friday 12/5 and was just wondering if you'd like to get together for a friendly cup of coffee or something in the afternoon or evening. Hope you all had a good trip back to the city.

Cheers!
Jason
That was short, upbeat, and cordial. Not too talky, not needy.

Big thanks to everyone!! I'll let you know what I know when I hear back.

Excellent, Jason.
And you're right about the merits of brevity, bounciness and warmth.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You know.... it wouldn't surprise me if someone has actually done that. Thanks for the offer. I'll consider it.

Yes I've done it at work...on a date with someone would be a first. Although the earpiece is an interesting idea. I did it on Japanese television and pulled it off! Domo Arigato!

I apologise. The earpiece remark made me sound insensitive. My advice, seriously, is to be yourself (as crass as that sounds) and have some fun.

No! Not at all! I thought it was funny too. :smile:

Yes I've done it at work...on a date with someone would be a first. Although the earpiece is an interesting idea. I did it on Japanese television and pulled it off! Domo Arigato!

Of course you did! I'd expect nothing less from you.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Jason: How do I close it? "Best" seems slightly impersonal, "hugs" seems too familiar and forward, a simple initial or my name seems cold, "thanks" sounds obsequious, "sincerely" sounds positively antique, "happy thoughts" sounds too hippie........ I'm truly stuck.

----------

"Best" does sound impersonal

"hugs" sounds fruity - any potential date sending me a letter signed "hugs" and I all I hear is a headful of warning bells

"thanks" sounds like a handshake

"sincerely" strikes me as as a weird way to close a letter to the next guy you may potentially fellate

"happy thoughts" sounds smarmy

Just put "Jason". Clean and simple. And maybe your head won't be going a mile a minute in a thousand directions after you've sent the damned thing off.

Jason, you really are worse than Woody Allen when he's obssessing.