I Have A Problem With Endangering Art

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
1) the monetary worth of a Rembrandt or a Michelangelo painting is not what drives me to "value" it

2) Thousands of children starve to death each and every day. That's the reality. Every 3.6 seconds somebody dies of hunger. 15 million every year. No, I would not give up priceless cultural heritage to "save one".

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
1) the monetary worth of a Rembrandt or a Michelangelo painting is not what drives me to "value" it

2) Thousands of children starve to death each and every day. That's the reality. Every 3.6 seconds somebody dies of hunger. 15 million every year. No, I would not give up priceless cultural heritage to "save one".

Ok now you two calm down or Fasten Your seat belts....

nicenycdick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't know why this has turned into a weighing of value between a human life and art. Art is valuable because it embodies the essence of being human. I believe that every piece of great art and every great writing and every great piece of architecture (often subjective, of course) reveals more about the human soul than we all recognize on a daily basis. If we are going to measure our wishes, let's wish that great art and every human life can last forever. But they can not...and we should do all we can to preserve it all. Let's hope we don't have to come down to making a choice. With that said, I believe that the preservation of great art (be it a painting, a writing or a building) is an obligation the owner owes to all of us. If that obligation is not met, there should be consequences. Sometimes those consequences include prosecution or litigation...sometimes only social castignation is appropriate. But there should always be consequences...

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I believe that the preservation of great art (be it a painting, a writing or a building) is an obligation the owner owes to all of us. If that obligation is not met, there should be consequences. Sometimes those consequences include prosecution or litigation...sometimes only social castignation is appropriate. But there should always be consequences...

describe the tribunal you'd engineer to mete out such consequences.

and who decides what constitutes "great art" or architecture, or writing?
is christo's work great art? it only exists for a limited time, how do you preserve that?

despite what some romantics contend, art is a commodity that trades on a free and open market. there are private owners, public owners, artists, governments, museums, institutions, all engaged in acquisition and sales. the soul of the artist, and if you really want to get carried away with it, the embodiment of our entire civilization might be contained within it, but in our civilization everything has a price.

if an owner (governments & museums included) is willing to sell it, then the buyer has every right to do whatever he wants with it. he can sell/lease/option the image/manuscript/music for commercial gain, or lease the great building to a saudi oil family to use as a parking garage for their fleet of maybachs & rolls. regardless of who painted the ceiling.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

is christo's work great art? it only exists for a limited time, how do you preserve that?

despite what some romantics contend, art is a commodity that trades on a free and open market. there are private owners, public owners, artists, governments, museums, institutions, all engaged in acquisition and sales. the soul of the artist, and if you really want to get carried away with it, the embodiment of our entire civilization might be contained within it, but in our civilization everything has a price.

if an owner (governments & museums included) is willing to sell it, then the buyer has every right to do whatever he wants with it. he can sell/lease/option the image/manuscript/music for commercial gain, or lease the great building to a saudi oil family to use as a parking garage for their fleet of maybachs & rolls. regardless of who painted the ceiling.
thadjock, you and I are on the same page on this subject. I may just pop in once a while now to just say "What he said" to your posts. I'm glad you brought up Christo. I met him when The Gates were installed in Central Park and he gave me a piece of the fabric. It is under glass in my apartment.(I hope my building does not burn) That was an amazing installation.
The reason I feel the way I do on this subject is I once dated someone who had a priceless masterpiece,(he carried on about it just a tad too much for my taste) and I asked "If there was a fire and you could save me or the painting what would you choose?" I did not like his answer. I hear he and the painting are very happy together.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
nudeyorker: thadjock took the ludicrous, indefensible position that saving the life of one (1) anonymous starving chinese child was MORE IMPORTANT than saving the bulk of Great Western Art.

Yes, he went there.

I'm not sure exactly how the Life-of-a-person vs. Cultural Value of Western Art analogy got so twisted and contorted like a pretzel until the malnourished chinese child was pitted against the Rembrandt, and I am a HUGE defender of human rights and spreading the wealth and helping your fellow man... but to say ONE (1) starving baby's life (and over 21,000 people will die of starvation today) is "more important" than the Sistine Chapel -- or Shakespeare's plays -- is plain silly.

Come now. -- Common sense has to work its way into this conversation somehow.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
nudeyorker writes:

I once dated someone who had a priceless masterpiece,(he carried on about it just a tad too much for my taste) and I asked "If there was a fire and you could save me or the painting what would you choose?" I did not like his answer

--------------------

nudeyorker: This "priceless masterpiece" your previous boyfriend had... and you asking (in the case of fire) - me or it?

If you had said to this previous boyfriend, "Ok. Hypothetical question: It's either that 3 million dollars you have in your bank account or it's me? What do you choose? The money or ME? You have to choose!" --- Is it really fair of you to force your old boyfriend into this kind of false position? Aren't you just stirring up drama (and asking for it)?

nicenycdick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Very little in life works at the level of absolutes that some posters are suggesting. It is rarely that we have to choose between a painting and a life. More often than not, it's choosing between a developer's rights of ownership and the preservation of Grand Central Station. There are often ways to preserve all that is precious without resorting to bloodshed.

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
nudeyorker writes:

I once dated someone who had a priceless masterpiece,(he carried on about it just a tad too much for my taste) and I asked "If there was a fire and you could save me or the painting what would you choose?" I did not like his answer

--------------------

nudeyorker: This "priceless masterpiece" your previous boyfriend had... and you asking (in the case of fire) - me or it?

If you had said to this previous boyfriend, "Ok. Hypothetical question: It's either that 3 million dollars you have in your bank account or it's me? What do you choose? The money or ME? You have to choose!" --- Is it really fair of you to force your old boyfriend into this kind of false position? Aren't you just stirring up drama (and asking for it)?

But that's an entirely different equation. If it was a matter of life or death, the answer always should be to opt for saving a life. At least that's the way I see it.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It seems to me that this discussion suffers from a failure to disentangle ethical and political or legal questions: questions of what is of value and what one should do in one's private capacity, on the one hand, and questions of when a government institution, such as a legislature or a court of law, may legitimately exercise coercive power, on the other. For instance:
I don't know why this has turned into a weighing of value between a human life and art. Art is valuable because it embodies the essence of being human. I believe that every piece of great art and every great writing and every great piece of architecture (often subjective, of course) reveals more about the human soul than we all recognize on a daily basis. If we are going to measure our wishes, let's wish that great art and every human life can last forever. But they can not...
I see nothing here to quarrel with; and I don't know if anyone else posting in the thread would have any objection. Surely anyone, regardless of political persuasion, can grant that great works of art, like other great human achievements, have a value other than their monetary value. I certainly hope that no one here means to deny this (though I haven't read every post in the thread, so I don't know). But up to this point, Nicenycdick's statements have no legal or political implications. It is one thing to say that something has value; it is quite another thing to say what consequences the destruction of a thing of value "should" bring (it will become clear why I put the word "should" in quotation marks in a moment) -- as here:
and we should do all we can to preserve it all. Let's hope we don't have to come down to making a choice. With that said, I believe that the preservation of great art (be it a painting, a writing or a building) is an obligation the owner owes to all of us. If that obligation is not met, there should be consequences. Sometimes those consequences include prosecution or litigation...sometimes only social castignation is appropriate. But there should always be consequences...
As soon as one starts talking about "consequences" that acts of destruction of great works of "should" have, one has to answer such questions as: who determines these consequences, and by what authority? So I think that Thadjock's response is justified:

To be fair, Nicenycdick was expressly vague about what the consequences should be, allowing even mere social disapprobation to count. But then it is not clear what the force of the "should" is, since popular disapprobation will either occur of itself or not occur at all: it's hard to see how any "should" can apply to it. For that matter, it is not clear how it applies to prosecution and litigation: if someone destroys a work of art that is his own property, then, as far as I know, he has violated no law and done no party any harm, and therefore cannot be prosecuted or sued. If, on the other hand, the work was not his sole property, then it may be possible to prosecute him under some law or bring suit on behalf of some injured party. But if so, then the legal process takes care of itself, does it not? Does it add anything to say that consequences "should" occur?

So I am not sure that what Nicenycdick says is really at odds with what Thadjock says in the rest of his post, at least if Thadjock's statements are interpreted as merely concerning legal rights:

Yes, as a matter of law, one can do these things: that is, it violates no law and commits no actionable injury to do them. Did Nicenycdick mean to deny this? I don't think so (though I don't know); certainly I would not.

Yet surely there is some sort of disagreement here. To take a trivial but obvious example for comparison: it is one's right under the law -- any system of law on earth that I know of -- to be an obnoxious, selfish, mendacious, scheming, manipulative jerk; it hardly follows that there is nothing objectionable about behaving that way. Similarly, it is my right under the law to buy a masterpiece of art and destroy it; it hardly follows that it is unobjectionable of me to do so. The legal issue and the ethical issue are distinct; indeed, in cases in which there is no legal issue, there can still be an ethical one.

I'm sorry not to arrive at a clearer and more satisfying conclusion. I find the issue very troubling and elusive.

nicenycdick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Calboner, I will not quote your post in it's entirety because it would only serve to waste space. But of course, you understood my statements perfectly. When I said there should be consequences, I purposefully omitted a discussion on the appropriate level of response to use. Different circumstances require different responses, and that is, more often than not, how our legal systems work. It is important to note, however, that social retributions can sometimes exceed the effect of legal ones and can often more accurately serve the greater good. An example that comes to mind is the international pressure put on Switzerland to return assets held in closed accounts to holocaust victims and their families. There was no legal obligation to do so, but the social pressure was enough to alter their centuries-old privacy laws and rules.

So, while people are free to do with their property what they will, the social pressure to treat great works of art in a publicly-proper manner is enormous...and rightly so. A walk down any street that has been designated a Landmark Area is enough to make one realize that. Does it always work? No. Is it wonderful that it often does? Yes.

Come now. -- Common sense has to work its way into this conversation somehow.

Apparently it doesn't. When you're dealing with some who say art is just fancy pieces of metal and canvas which some people decide are worth a lot of money then there is no appreciation of the conversation from the beginning. Why someone would then inject themselves into such a conversation is beyond me. It's an attitude of, "I know nothing so I'm going to tell you you're wrong." I never compared a Rembrandt to a starving Chinese baby and I resent that the conversation got directed into such an absurd place. Similarly, it seems that some people cannot separate what is legal from what is ethical. What is legal may sometimes stem from what is ethical but not all that is unethical is illegal nor should it be.

The Saudi royal family might buy the Sistine Chapel and use it as a garage and perhaps that is legal, but I argue it is unethical to do so. I might even be persuaded that physical force should be used to prevent such an atrocity.

The problem is that if someone doesn't value the Sistine Chapel for something other than its real estate value, then they're not going to understand the problem I have with arguing against using it as a garage in the first place; par for the course given America's ghastly education priorities.

nicenycdick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Apparently it doesn't. When you're dealing with some who say art is just fancy pieces of metal and canvas which some people decide are worth a lot of money then there is no appreciation of the conversation from the beginning. Why someone would then inject themselves into such a conversation is beyond me. It's an attitude of, "I know nothing so I'm going to tell you you're wrong." I never compared a Rembrandt to a starving Chinese baby and I resent that the conversation got directed into such an absurd place. Similarly, it seems that some people cannot separate what is legal from what is ethical. What is legal may sometimes stem from what is ethical but not all that is unethical is illegal nor should it be.

The Saudi royal family might buy the Sistine Chapel and use it as a garage and perhaps that is legal, but I argue it is unethical to do so. I might even be persuaded that physical force should be used to prevent such an atrocity.

The problem is that if someone doesn't value the Sistine Chapel for something other than its real estate value, then they're not going to understand the problem I have with arguing against using it as a garage in the first place; par for the course given America's ghastly education priorities.

I certainly agree with you, Jason. And it is sad that the thread had to take the path it did, because I don't think you ever intended to imply that life is meaningless when compared to art. It may be meaningless without Art...but that is a different discussion.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I so wanted to add to this thread but have stayed away. I swear someone always goes after me when I offer something up and I just don't have the typing skills to always bring clarity to what I really want to say... but...I can't resist. LOL

I too want great art to have complete access to the public. I am from a long line of artists and we appreciate collectors have driven up the value and to some degree this helps give the art focus. However, to think any one person or group should get all access seems moraly wrong. In Las Vegas there is the Pablo Picasso place to eat at the Belagio. As a teacher, I can't afford to eat there and yet as a teacher of art history I think I might enjoy the experience more than others who think it is just decoration. I also worry, that if it is the real stuff, that it shouldn't be in a place were food is served, steamed, cleaned, odd heat and AC etc...I mean is this the best venue for it? Well, not much I can do about it. I'll just have to enjoy more $20 prints. :)

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
jason_els:

This has been an interesting thread regardless of the twists it's taken.

I personally got set off by two comments here.

-----

thadjock wrote:

"art" is an opinion about a scrap of canvas, a lump of marble, an ingot of bronze......a human life is hopefully counted as more valuable than all of these.

-----

The question of the "art going down with the ship: which do you choose? The art or the person?" had been made. And thadjock made a comment that "a" - one - human life was "more valuable" than "a scrap of canvas, a lump of marble, an ingot of bronze" -- which, for him, seemed to stand-in for all of western art.

I thought it was rather sanctimonious of thadjock to use the potential death of "a" human life then, oddly, pit it against the History of Art (scrap of canvas, lump of marble) -- in order to make us choose and play on our sympathies; psychologically stacking the deck so we would choose that poor human being and JETTISON all Art.

So my mind wandered. I thought about the thousands of children that would die of starvation today, and yesterday, every day, as thadjock typed sanctimoniously about "a" life being greater that all art. If he were serious about helping "a" life, I thought in the back of my mind, why not go out in the world and DO IT - instead of posting 20 comments on LPSG?

I resented him trying to put himself on the side of the angels in order to PUT DOWN art (which he admitted were scraps and lumps for him).

Secondly, I was disturbed by Hells' statement:

"As much as I love art if you think long and hard about it it's just a painting."

And my immediate reaction was: no! it's not "just" a painting. Anymore than Aristophanes or Shakespeare or Tennessee Williams wrote "just plays".

Art and music and science and cultural history have got to mean something more than "just" disposables, collectively. Otherwise, why should anyone care about ANY history? Without our cultural artistic history, It becomes primarily about "now" and "me".

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm glad you brought up Christo. I met him when The Gates were installed in Central Park and he gave me a piece of the fabric. It is under glass in my apartment.(I hope my building does not burn) That was an amazing installation.

I'm jealous you got to meet him, i had the chance to experience the gates too, and loved it. I like the idea that art can be both expansive and temporary rather than a monument to the artist or patron.

say Eirc Fischl is on Donald Trump's yacht, that happens to contain a significant painting by Mr. Fischl, the yacht begins to sink, you only have time to save one, do you save Mr Fischl or his painting?

I'm not beginning to play this game because I never stated or even implied there was a comparison between human life and piece of art.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
j

Secondly, I was disturbed by Hells' statement:

"As much as I love art if you think long and hard about it it's just a painting."

And my immediate reaction was: no! it's not "just" a painting. Anymore than Aristophanes or Shakespeare or Tennessee Williams wrote "just plays".

Ok I didn't mean it's just a painting. I was an art student at one time. What I meant was yes it would be horrible if a Rembrandt caught on fire and disappeared. But in the scheme of things it;s not like we would never know it's here or ever be able to see it again. The majority of people only ever see art in books or pictures. Not the real thing. We'll always have some semblance of the original art.
As for plays and that art. You don't need to see the original manuscript to appreciate it. Those plays and scripts are readily available much more so than art. That's why MoMA sells posters of paintings. So people who can't see them in real life can somehow get to appreciate them.
You should be moremad at the people I cited, the Vatican and the Royal family for hoarding priceless pieces of art that maybe have never been photographed before and CANNOT be appreciated by average folks or art lovers. Some ripped from the homes of holocaust victims no doubt.

A perfect example of why arts education in this country is so necessary and also an example of the effects of not having it.

thanks for dismissing me as uneducated, i relish the advantage of being under-appraised.
Feel free to make use of it and prove me wrong.

People have died to save great works from disaster and been hailed heroes for doing so.

define "great works" and get 10 art historians to agree on which 50 pieces of art the world can't survive without.
I don't think you would get 10 to agree on all 50. Art is an intensely personal and subjective experience so you'd likely get maybe 10 or even 20 works upon which all could agree, but I doubt 50. I'm confident works like the Sistine Chapel, Vermeer In His Studio, Guernica, Chartres, Nude Descending Staircase, Citizen Kane, Bust of Nefertiti, the garden of Ryoan Ji, and the Winged Nike of Samothrace would make the list. Some of these works are so enigmatic that we're still in the process of deciphering them.

Last edited by a moderator: